PDA

View Full Version : chain and sprocket issues (comming off)

bean2080
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
today when i was riding my quad i went over a branch off a tree and somehow it got in between my chain and sprocket and popped it right off the sprocket. luckly i was just riding around and not in a race, but do you guys know of any mods or anything i can do to keep this from happening so this dont happen again? i have a houser swingarm without a skid plate, although i do have the two sided sprocket guard. i know what some of you think about the sprocket guard but i dont think what happened today had anything to do with it. i just dont know if im going to have to get a swing arm guard to keep this from happening or if there is like a "half guard" that just goes under the chain and not the whole swing arm. i have always had a full swing arm guard on my quads but to be honest, i dont really like them. the 450 is the only one that i never had a guard on so im not really sure if getting stuff caught in between the the chain and sprocket is something that happens alot or if it was just a freek thing that happened. if anyone could help it would be great.
thanks

Scro
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
You are running you chain way too loose, if it came off with a dual sprocket guard. It's impossible for the chain to come off the rear sprocket as long as the chain is adjusted properly. Dirtworks makes a nice chain guide to work with a single sprocket guard. But, if you run the dual, it's not needed because the chain shouldn't come off.

bean2080
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
yea i wont argue with that, my chain might of been a little loose. i never checked it before i took a ride. when the chain came off it got caught on one of the sprocket guard sides and when i tried it back the chain off of the guard the chain just snapped. if my chain was adjusted properly it would of just broke insted of comming off right? im not real worried about the chain comming off, that was just caused my user error, i just want to prevent stuff getting caught in between the chain and sprocket.

Scro
03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
When I had the dual guard, I ran the stock chain guide with the guard dog cleaner mounted behind it. I never had any issues.