PDA

View Full Version : will not kick start

heater
03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
hey guys i just picked up a 06 450 that has a lot of things done to it and i came from the 660's so the only thing i really know about the 450 so far is that its WAY BETTER/FASTER than the 660....problem is the guy who had it before me had the harness chopped and the whole electric system changed so it could go with out a battery. it has a gytr kick start on it and it WILL NOT kick start! if i push start it or pull it if fires right up and runs great. i have kicked it many many times and it has acted like it was gonna start only 4-6 times but never has. i am taking it to tdc to kick it. it has a "hot start" lever on it and even after i have ran it and its warm it will not kick start. it does have the bus bar on it still and i was reading out the voltage while it was being kicked and it averaged about 7 volts, lowest was 5 highest was a little over 10. and the plug in it is new. the plus side is i picked it up for 1700 bux!!!! but any help would be great guys thanks!

paintthrower00
03-06-2010, 06:37 PM
My guess us the valves or jeting. My Honda got hard to start like thy when the valves needed adjusted

heater
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Yea I was thinking the same thing problem is the valves are nit making any noise what so ever so leads me to jetting and the carb has some external adjustments that I need to figure out what they do.

paintthrower00
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Probably an air fuel ratio and Id look at the sticky
thread and see what people are runing for jets. Still thunk it's valves though I never had a yfz with a carb I have an r so it's fuel injected. But my Honda did the same thing and it was te valves

ZRider400
03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
if it does not have the "cam mod", it will kick extremely hard... check if that is already done, if it isnt... then i recommend it.

heater
03-07-2010, 06:20 AM
it does not have the cam or zip tie mod so i will be doing both of them today.

heater
03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
So i did the cam and ziptie mod. it will kick over on the second or thrid kick and then die really quick then sounds like it wants to start every 4th kick or so. sill can push start like a champ! and runs way stronger. so im thinking it is a jet issue now seems like it floods out so i pulled the plug and it is very wet. any ideas? and im not good with jetting so what one would i need to change?