PDA

View Full Version : high quality handle bars... That big of deal???

Honda 250r 001
03-06-2010, 05:38 PM
YES...

This is what can happen to your R if your handle bars break at the WRONG time...

Things i broke:
Tie rod
Heim Joint
Handle Bars
Nerf Bars
Pro peg Mounts
Throttle Cable

I was jumping side by side with a friend on a MX track. My handle bars broke in the air. (no reason why, i had checked them earlier and they were all good) I pulled the throttle cable and it got stuck wide open. I hit the ground barealy hanging on. the R started wheeling up and it started to drive up the back of my friend on his 450. It started to slide sideways and i fell off. Then it rolled end over end and stopped where you see it...

ballzdeep38
03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
how did you break them? i have never questioned my bars and figured the only time they would break/bend was in a crash, not due to riding. what kind of bars were they?

Honda 250r 001
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I think they were fractured before... But i pulled up on the handle bars in the air. and the one side broke off....

250rPRIDE
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
look at it this way at least there wasnt a arm, leg, or spine!! on your list all of those little parts can easily be replaced!!!!

Honda 250r 001
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
look at it this way at least there wasnt a arm, leg, or spine!! on your list all of those little parts can easily be replaced!!!!

yea, true.... But i have a race comin up realllly soon. And it looks like im gonna have to miss it. :grr: :grr: :grr:

4wheelmx
03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Were they Renthal bars? When I lived in Phoenix I broke two pairs of them practicing at Speedworlds mx track. Luckily it was the clutch side both times.

Honda 250r 001
03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelmx
Were they Renthal bars? When I lived in Phoenix I broke two pairs of them practicing at Speedworlds mx track. Luckily it was the clutch side both times.

yep... renthal handle bars... I had a friend give me a set of Pro Tapers so we will see how they work.

4wheelmx
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Where do you race at in kansas?

Honda 250r 001
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelmx
Where do you race at in kansas?

there are 5 tracks around kansas. but today iwas at jeeps mx track in park city, right out side of wichita.

4wheelmx
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I have been wanting to go ride that track. I live by Topeka. I got tired of tearing my bike up and myself up and having to pay gate and entry fees for a $6.00 trophy racing at the track up here. They said the pro quads do not support them, so they do not support pro quads.

croat1
03-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
I think they were fractured before... But i pulled up on the handle bars in the air. and the one side broke off....

dude are you f'n serious. looking at the stress fracture of the broken part i would assume that that the bars where previously bent at one time and then bent back. thus stressing the bars

please post detailed pics of the the break. i would like to see detailed pics of how it broke at the cross bar.

basically what i'm getting at: you have before posted pics/repairs of frame and engine mounts that where inferior. now you are are having/showing a serious wreck. sure not the motor end but the control side. what else is due to fail??????

how soon do want to end up either dead or in a wheel chair?

jcs003
03-07-2010, 05:03 AM
never broke renthals. i had quads roll down some big rocky hills. broke tie rode ends a few times sliding into things, but the bars mystifies me:confused:

IcutMetl
03-07-2010, 06:58 AM
This might just be me, but I don't think Id've been riding with fractured handlebars in the first place...would u ride with half a helmet?

Honda 250r 001
03-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
This might just be me, but I don't think Id've been riding with fractured handlebars in the first place...would u ride with half a helmet?

I had no idea the handle bars were fractured or stressed ! I had no idea they were about to break? so how was i suppose to prevent this. I had never rolled the quad hard on the handle bars before, i had never had any problems with these handle bars until now. So i cant really explain how it happened.

troybilt
03-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by croat1
dude are you f'n serious. looking at the stress fracture of the broken part i would assume that that the bars where previously bent at one time and then bent back. thus stressing the bars

please post detailed pics of the the break. i would like to see detailed pics of how it broke at the cross bar.

basically what i'm getting at: you have before posted pics/repairs of frame and engine mounts that where inferior. now you are are having/showing a serious wreck. sure not the motor end but the control side. what else is due to fail??????

Glad no one got hurt, but croat1 is right, once aluminum is yielded it cannot be bent back. Take a close up pic of the break, I can usually tell from looking at the fracture how they broke.

If it was a fatigue failure as you say it will show a completely different cross section at failure.

Honda 250r 001
03-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Glad no one got hurt, but croat1 is right, once aluminum is yielded it cannot be bent back. Take a close up pic of the break, I can usually tell from looking at the fracture how they broke.

If it was a fatigue failure as you say it will show a completely different cross section at failure.

I never bent my handle bars back. Maybe the previous owner did. but i never bent them in a wreck and then tweaked them back.

Honda 250r 001
03-07-2010, 07:24 AM
here is the spindle...

Honda 250r 001
03-07-2010, 09:13 AM
of the break...

Honda 250r 001
03-07-2010, 09:14 AM
one more...

mikeminyard
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I have had my bars break several time while riding. The cross bar creates a stress area on the bar and the break there almost every time. I started repacing my bars once a year, and all I do is ride in the dunes. One time I was in 6th WOT, and both ends of the bars broke off, I rolled about 100 yards, but luckily nothing bad happened. I recently switched to Eastons new 1 3/8th bar that has a lifetime warranty. Hopefully these bars will be strong enough to last.

I would recommend going to 1 1/8 pro taper style at the very least to get rid of the cross bar.

Honda 250r 001
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by mikeminyard
I have had my bars break several time while riding. The cross bar creates a stress area on the bar and the break there almost every time. I started repacing my bars once a year, and all I do is ride in the dunes. One time I was in 6th WOT, and both ends of the bars broke off, I rolled about 100 yards, but luckily nothing bad happened. I recently switched to Eastons new 1 3/8th bar that has a lifetime warranty. Hopefully these bars will be strong enough to last.

I would recommend going to 1 1/8 pro taper style at the very least to get rid of the cross bar.

My new set of pro tapers a friend gave me, have the cross bar. So you think i should remove it? Wont it look funny? I dont really want to switch to oversize bars because all my existing componets wont fit will they?

coryatver
03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
My new set of pro tapers a friend gave me, have the cross bar. So you think i should remove it? Wont it look funny? I dont really want to switch to oversize bars because all my existing componets wont fit will they?

if the bars come with a cross bar don't remove it. it is required for the design of the bars. How old were your bars?

250rPRIDE
03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by mikeminyard

I find this very hard to believe!!! i have been riding for 20+ years from xc, mx, drags, trails, hillclimbing etc... and have never seen a set of hadlebars just break off in someones hand what the heck are you doing, pull-ups on them while you ride?? and then to say both sides broke off at the sametime while riding accross a dune in 6th gear...now come on i believe this is possible to break a handlebar but its very rare and probably operators error.
idk i hope you guys that are breaking bars off like this get your problem solved because i know its not save and i dont want to see anyone hurt.. goodluck

ballzdeep38
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
i have heard that the way you strap down your quad can lead to the bars failing. if your tie down has a metal hook on the end you are not supposed to hook them on metal handlebars. this is what i read in dirtwheels once, it was an interview with some bar manufacturers. although we have always tied our quads down my the handlebars with the hook style tiedowns and the only bent bars have been from crashes:huh

atvmxr
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
i have been riding for 20+ years from xc, mx, drags, trails, hillclimbing etc... and have never seen a set of hadlebars just break off

me either, about the same about of riding experience for me...

LONG-ROD
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
ya I have been riding for 22 years. atvs mx bikes. had some crazy crashes. and even then never busted a bar. I have ran all types of bars. I think for the safety of others, like the guy on the 450 you ran up on. if you cant keep up on regular maintenance and and replace wore or broken parts you have no business at a public riding are. Its not to hard to do a full inspection of a bike when you purchase it from another.. I have never bought a bike or quad that didn't need something replaced. Im not trying bust your balls to bad, but dam.. there r enough risk on these things as it is..,

Honda 250r 001
03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by LONG-ROD
ya I have been riding for 22 years. atvs mx bikes. had some crazy crashes. and even then never busted a bar. I have ran all types of bars. I think for the safety of others, like the guy on the 450 you ran up on. if you cant keep up on regular maintenance and and replace wore or broken parts you have no business at a public riding are. Its not to hard to do a full inspection of a bike when you purchase it from another.. I have never bought a bike or quad that didn't need something replaced. Im not trying bust your balls to bad, but dam.. there r enough risk on these things as it is..,

Checked them earlier, pulled on the bars hard in every direction and nothing snapped or bent... I think it was just that they must have been old, (i have no idea how old they are, they were on the bike when i bought it a couple years ago). I just didnt expect the bars to ever break off like that...

Saul76
03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Wow. Glad nobody was hurt.

Gotta say, the irony of that picture with the renthal sticker showing is something else .... almost like an ad ....

"Renthal Bars - endangering the lives of ATV riders since 1981!"

Honda 250r 001
03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
hahahaha i never noticed that lol, thats pretty daum funny lol

mikeminyard
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Definitely do not remove the cross bar. 7/8 bars need it because they are not strong enough without. If you go to oversize bars, yes your current components will fit.

As far as rider error for my bars breaking, no it was chitty bars. I never strap my quad down by the bars, only by the wheels. In each case it was a set of renthals that broke. I will admit, I love to air it out and am a very large guy. My bars take a bit more stress that most, but I always look them over before hand and have never ridden on a set that has been tweaked.

Again, my advice for anyone that is doing more than recreational riding or drag racing, is to go to oversize bars. I was very lucky each time my bars broke. It is worth the extra cost. Right now on motosport they sell the Eastons with clamps for only $99. Barely more than a good set of 7/8 bars.

J.B.
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I also have a set of the 1-3/8" Easton EXP bars. I highly recommend them.

Creech52
03-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Turner fat bars and mounts $74 on motosport FTW.

I have the turner bars, but since my bike is still not finished I cant say how reliable they are, but they look to be decent quality and are a dirt cheap fat bar.

Im suprised no one commented on the fact that one side of your bars just fell off, yet after several rolls the other side looks fine.