PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to exhaust packing?

nakomis0
03-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I hate packing my exhaust. its something that needs to be done every yr.

I have used every different exhaust packings, including insulation, rockwool & steel.

I'm considering using fire foam? Am I nuts?
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/great-stuff-fire-block-foam-12-oz-p-90665.html?ref=42

TORNADO
03-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey, you might wanna try pouring some Quikrete in the silencer, or fill it full of Gorilla Glue. That'll get the job done........Im jk. I know its a messy and sometimes time consuming job, but, its just like any other preventitive maintenance task. (ie: changing the oil, cleaning the air filter, etc, etc. Its just something that has to be done. There are some long lasting packing materials you can get at your local dealer though. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully. If its not packed tight enough, it'll just burn up and blow out. If its too tight, it'll sound like you dont have a silencer. Whatever you do, DONT use that expanding foam you're thinking of using. #1. It is EXPANDING foam. It will just close up your exhaust. And #2. You might as well just use Quikrete as formentioned, because when the foam dries, that will be what it resembles in hardness.

IcutMetl
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Stainless steel wool

06_hondatrx_400
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Im not sure how well this works, but i have heard of using 2 stroke packing, because it increases air flow because its a tighter packing. Might be somthing you would want to look into. If anyone Knows more about this Id like to Know how well this works or if it works at all.

TORNADO
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 06_hondatrx_400
Im not sure how well this works, but i have heard of using 2 stroke packing, because it increases air flow because its a tighter packing. Might be somthing you would want to look into. If anyone Knows more about this Id like to Know how well this works or if it works at all.

pretty sure its the same stuff, isnt it? if not, why would there be a difference? exhaust is exhaust. dont use steel wool though. you ever lite that stuff on fire? fire works show.

06_hondatrx_400
03-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Well im not sure if 2 stroke and 4 stroke are different. I was just told by a friend and thats what he did to his yfz and he said it made a big diference. And if it was the stuff then why if you go on say fmf and look at exhaust packing they make packing for 2 stroke and 4 stroke. So my question is if it were the same stuff the why do they make 2 different kinds one for 2 stroke and one for 4 Stroke. I was just told that it was a little trick that no one really new about, And its suposed to help with more air flow because its tight, but i could be wrong. I guess i dont no much about it. But it might be sumthing worth looking into. Being that its cheap to do and if you need to replace the packing why not do sumthing that is going to perform a little bit better.

TORNADO
03-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by 06_hondatrx_400
Being that its cheap to do and if you need to replace the packing why not do sumthing that is going to perform a little bit better.

Yea, I agree completely. That might be a good thread to ask anyone who knows. "Is there, and if so, why is there a difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke exhaust packing?" Im gonna go ahead and start 1. Check the thread in the open forum for responses.

06_hondatrx_400
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Well im not sure what the difference really is. I was just sugesting to the person that started the thread that it might be sumthing worth looking into.

IcutMetl
03-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I've used stainless wool as packing before; definitely doesn't deaden the sound like fiberglass, but it'll last and last.

TORNADO
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I've used stainless wool as packing before; definitely doesn't deaden the sound like fiberglass, but it'll last and last.

just re-read your reply and noticed you said "stainless". I was thinking you used regular steel wool. lol. That stuff goes up in a blaze when its lit. But, just like you said, it doesnt seem to me either, that it doesnt deaden the sound that well. Nothing soft to difuse the sound bouncing around in there. I actually, in a bind, used a wash cloth, wrapped tight and then duct taped around the inner core, when I was out at the desert. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

yfz450r16x
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
2 stroke and 4 stroke is different. 2 stroke is a tighter weave. 4 stroke is a looser weave because of the noise that 4 strokes make. I work at dyno port and we have 2 stroke and 4 stroke packing and I tried both and there's a sound differents. But if you wan't quiet use the 4 stroke and put it in loss not tight. If you wan't loud and power pack it tight with 4 stroke packing it will last longer. 2 stroke packing is too tight for the 4 stroke. The perf size make a big differents.

06_hondatrx_400
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
okay thank you yfz450r16x, that helps out alot. I didnt no if there really was a difference in the two or not. But thanks for making the point that 4 Stroke packing is indeed better for 4 strokes then 2 strokes. Like i said before i didnt know to much about it, but was wanting to learn more about it. Thanks for the info man.

bobizzle
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
i would suggest you just pack your muffler once a yr for maintenance. i know ppl who put a muffler on there bike and rode for 5 or 6 yrs before re packing. the packing dampens the noise produced. if noise is not really a problem where you ride its not that big of a deal, but it like not like doing preventive maintenance. its like not changing your draws/ boxers fro a month, they just kind get dirty and worn out....