PDA

View Full Version : Broken Cylinder Head Cover bolt?

trailrider894
03-06-2010, 12:51 PM
OKay so i just replaced my cam chain and was putting the cylinder head cover back on and i was tightening up the (6X118...8mm) bolt and after it was hand tight i was tightening it to the specs in the book and then it snapped off... How am i supposed to fix this???

dariusld
03-06-2010, 01:54 PM
If it is a long one, the job is a lot harder. Where on the bolt did it snap?

daigs85
03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
i had the one closest to the chain tensioner snap when i was taking it apart, i got it out but it wasnt pretty

trailrider894
03-06-2010, 05:15 PM
It snapped at the middle of the threads on the bolt. yeah... do i have to take it out and replace it?? or will the bolts that it has suffice?

jasonwayne222
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I have 2 broke like that and I use Red RTV Gasket maker and no leaks no problems for a year. run a small bead all the way around with your valve cover gasket as well and u should be good. If u can remove or drill out the broke bolt then get a helicoil kit and u can repair it.

Exrider434
03-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
It snapped at the middle of the threads on the bolt. yeah... do i have to take it out and replace it?? or will the bolts that it has suffice?

Replace, for sure. Otherwise it will leak oil, slowly, but it will leak oil.

jasonwayne222
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
it wont leak if he uses rtv gasket maker along with the head gasket. Ive had mine like this with two broke bolts for a year and not a drop of oil. I would fix it if its convenient but this is a good fix until you rebuild again and have it all apart. When I rebuild next winter mine will get fixed properly.

Exrider434
03-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
it wont leak if he uses rtv gasket maker along with the head gasket. Ive had mine like this with two broke bolts for a year and not a drop of oil. I would fix it if its convenient but this is a good fix until you rebuild again and have it all apart. When I rebuild next winter mine will get fixed properly.

well, yeah but i would suggest replaceing them asap, if possible. I hovever am contradicitng myself because i have 2 broke off in the valve cover and one on the oil filter cover... all of them leaked oil, till i put some rtv on it! ran a few races that way not a problem, getting fixed asap though!

CJM
03-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Drill it and extract it. It gets really bad you drill it out, tap it and have fun doing that.

It gets REALLY bad you cant drill and tap, ive seen people weld new studs onto whats left, weld the hole shut and retap (this takes ALOT of time cause you can only add so much weld), can drill it out and helicoil and or maybe sleeve it and tap it.

Me, I would do the RTV method for now. If I didnt do the RTV I would drill it.

trailrider894
03-08-2010, 07:45 AM
okay so i should use RVT and then if that fails just drill and tap?

jasonwayne222
03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
yes, use the red rtv gasket maker from auto parts store along with the head gasket, and if it fails which it shouldnt then get a helicoil kit, u will have to drill the bolt out if u cant extract it.