PDA

View Full Version : how to get ball joints tight???

cjmadison9
03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
i just got new ball joints and i know they are a pain to tighten anyway, but was woundering i any of yous had any tips or trick to getting ball joints tight when the ball joints spin freely???

TORNADO
03-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Pneumatic, or electric impact is the best way. You can try tapping the balljoint down in the taper or using a clamp to pull it tight into the taper as you turn the nut with a wrench. Best way by far is impacts though.

Scro
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Do the bottom first. Put the balljoint in, and tilt the spindle over toward the ground and put pressure on it. This will put the balljoint in a bind, and let you tighten the nut. When that one is tight, just put the top in and give it a good smack with the hammer. The taper will hold it in tight enough for you to finish the job.

cjmadison9
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
yeah ive tried both using a impact and tilting the tire out to put pressure on it, thats usually how i get them tight, i just havin trouble with these new ones they frustrated me, i gave up on it for the night im sure il get them tommorow, just woundered if anyone had any "neat" tricks that maybe i didn know about, thanks though guys!

SmthHonRider99
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
what i usually do is clamp it down with a big pair of vice grips or get someone to hold some channel locks on them.

SET THE STAGE
03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
i've been told to try putting a regular nut on it the first time because the nuts meant for them are the nylon locking nuts which have resistance. basically, put a regular nut on so you can get the balljoint in the spindle, then take it off and put the locking nut on.

i've always just used man-power and kind of forced them together while giving the wrench quick thrusts so the balljoint couldn't spin.

c-clamps also work great.

wingnut548
03-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I normally puy the upper and lower together at the same time then wrap a ratchet strap around the a-arm and cinch it tight to keep them from spinning while i am tightening the nuts.:cool:

cjmadison9
03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
thanks 4 all the ideas guys! i bin tryin to think of ways to do it, these should deffintly help