PDA

View Full Version : 450 shocks, how many psi to fill them??

Thumpin440ex
03-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Finished getting them back together, but need to no how many psi to put back in..

Thanks all John

TORNADO
03-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Im not sure of the 450's specs, but, the Ohlins I had on my 250R, I used 150-300psi of dry nitrogyn. There's also a 0 by-pass valve that you need to use to get the exact psi due to the fact that the reservoir is so small. Whatever you do, just dont use regular air in the shocks.

Thumpin440ex
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Anybody????

John

Bradracer18
03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Mine has pep shocks with rezzie....and the rear rezzie has 200psi scribed on it I think

dustin_j
03-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Use 200 psi.

Thumpin440ex
03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Ok so 200psi for the stockers.. Only weird thing is, when I bled them, it did not sound like that many psi in there at all, im serious..

John

Bradracer18
03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Mine were PEP's...so I don't know. I'd get on trx450 forums and ask someone.

protraxrptr17
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
It ain't gonna make that much difference. Anywhere from 150 to 250 will be OK.

TORNADO
03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Ok so 200psi for the stockers.. Only weird thing is, when I bled them, it did not sound like that many psi in there at all, im serious..

John

thats why i said you need a 0 by-pass valve. the amount of gas in the res is so small, 300 psi can leak out in an instant

Thumpin440ex
03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by TORNADO
thats why i said you need a 0 by-pass valve. the amount of gas in the res is so small, 300 psi can leak out in an instant

What is this 0 bypass valve you speak of?? I have the equip at work that we use to fill accumulators with nitrogen.. The shocks have been bled totally dry, as they have been apart, not back together.. So there is 0 in them now..

Thanks John

TORNADO
03-10-2010, 02:12 AM
What is this 0 bypass valve you speak of?? I have the equip at work that we use to fill accumulators with nitrogen.. The shocks have been bled totally dry, as they have been apart, not back together.. So there is 0 in them now..

Thanks John

A 0 by-pass valve atatches to the schrader valve on the shock or reservoir and allows you to manually depress the pin in the valve to open and close it. Then remove the valve without any gas escaping. Ive tried to fill with a regular tire inflater, but as soon as you release it, it seems like a tiny bit escapes. In actuality, quite a bit escapes because there is so little volume in the shock or res. Ive had almost 100 psi escape. And thats releasing it as fast as i could with the presure still in the line. Also, will your regulator allow you to put 300 psi + in the line? Not sure what your accumulators are used for and how high you guys fill them. Most air hoses burst at pressures above 300 psi, so, be carefull.

fearlessfred
03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
we also use them to fill accumulaters on hydro hoerams give me an email and i will send a pic of one . i dont know how to send on this site

Thumpin440ex
03-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Im pretty sure that 0 bypass valve is what we have, but we don't call it that.. It is a nozzle that screws on the the scrhader, then has a valve on top of it, that you close and open, along with a O ring that fits in between the the nozzle and shrader, so that 0 escapes. We fill accumulators to 5000psi in some cases.. I have not filled them yet, but am here shortly... I am pretty familiar with it, hell it is part of what i do for a living lol.. Thanks again

John

TORNADO
03-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Im pretty sure that 0 bypass valve is what we have, but we don't call it that.. It is a nozzle that screws on the the scrhader, then has a valve on top of it, that you close and open, along with a O ring that fits in between the the nozzle and shrader, so that 0 escapes. We fill accumulators to 5000psi in some cases.. I have not filled them yet, but am here shortly... I am pretty familiar with it, hell it is part of what i do for a living lol.. Thanks again

John

Yup, thats it. Sounds like you've got everything you need to fill them. The presure, from what I know about shocks, is not too critical, as long as its between 100-250 psi. All it does is keeps air out of the shocks valve stack and pushes oil thru the reservoir. Air in a hydraulic system is a bad thing.

fearlessfred
03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
not that it matters,the amount of nitr.preasure does a little more than that .it is what makes the shaft seal work to little preasure and it will leak. it keeps the oil from oxidizing , and the lower the preasure the more effect the compr.ajuster has and will bottom out alittle bit eazer. the preasure can be used for fine tuning 100 to 250 will work if u already have shock on the bike make sure to put the bike on stand and shock is fully exstended before filling

TORNADO
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
not that it matters,the amount of nitr.preasure does a little more than that .it is what makes the shaft seal work to little preasure and it will leak. it keeps the oil from oxidizing , and the lower the preasure the more effect the compr.ajuster has and will bottom out alittle bit eazer. the preasure can be used for fine tuning

Good point.