PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Spring Removal - Install Tips

WISH1965
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
What is the best way to remove/install the clutch springs without damaging the clutch shoes? Is there a special tool for expanding the spring when installing. These things are tough to expand to install and there has got to be a good tool for this application or perhaps another technique without damaging the shoe. Last time i did this i was able to accomplish it, however doing this with minimal gouging to the shoe can be challenging. Tips on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

WW

Logan #34's Dad
03-06-2010, 08:35 AM
If someone comes up with a tool they would get PAID. Those are really tough. I use a strong skinny screwdriver.

WISH1965
03-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Okay I feel better now :)

Yeah thats what i have used in the past. It just seems there must be a better tool. Kinda like the brake spring tool you would use for installing the springs on brake shoes in an automotive application.

wheelin642
03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
It may sound dumb but I use a shoe string or piece of rope. hook one end then use the string to get the other end in place then tap it in with but of a screw driver ( put the clutch pack in a vise between a rag it makes this task real easy ) my way not everybodies way I'm sure

Reimer Racing
03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
We use the string in the vise trick. Works pretty good.

WISH1965
03-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Interesting concept, but I think I get it. The vise is used to keep the clutch still while you pull the clutch spring (string attached) towards the spring opening, correct?

Reimer Racing
03-06-2010, 01:09 PM
No, I put the string in the vise just short enough to use the vise as a wedge. I put the string thru the end of the spring and kinda push the clutch down along the edge of the vise to strech the spring. When it reachs the hole I just tap it with a hammer to seat it into the hole. Hope this helps

You can use an small phillips screwdriver also.

Full Throttle00
03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
If you don't have any in your tool box, go find a set of Manhands they work great! :D
Having incredible strength and popping vessles in your head while you patiently tell your son SCREW THE NUT ON!!!! But since then and being a backyard junk racer, I use what's laying around, drilled out a hole and press down with both feet. Since then I added 3 bolts, 6 nuts and washers and a cordless impact driver that does the trick

So for those of you Copy Kat's out there ( and you know who you are) I am having them patiented to sell.:devil:

WISH1965
03-08-2010, 07:28 AM
My issue is not the torque spring, its the clutch springs, you know, those little PITA springs. The torque spring is a piece of cake compared to the clutch springs. My ZTR tool works great :)

AS for the clutch springs, I had 2 clutches this weekend to install. My solution: I ate two bowls of Wheaties for breakfast & got the clutch springs installed.

redonkulousruntsracing
03-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I use my exhaust spring tool that I had from my sled racing days,
works like a champ!

hasbeenttduner
03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by sickairseth
I use my exhaust spring tool that I had from my sled racing days,
works like a champ!

That is what I was thinking. I am going to be doing my first one in a couple of weeks so I am not a expert. Handy for your pipe springs too and I believe they are only 5-8 bucks. Are these springs a lot stronger then what I am thinking? Are they too much for your regular T shaped ex spring puller?

joe0718
03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I put two long 5/16" bolts through the clutch and lay it on top of a vise so the vise clamps the bolts and the clutch springs face up. Then use small vise grips to grap the end of the spring and pop them out. You have to tap them in once they catch as mentioned above.

#404's Dad
03-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I use a vice with a large socket to hold the clutch and I use a motion pro spring puller to do the springs (not the cheaper gold one with the U on the end), works pretty decent, still a PIA though.

TTracer#22
03-08-2010, 08:36 AM
I bought a Stage 6 Clutch problem solved and it works great :D

EthansDad
03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
manhands, thats funny!

Guys, here is a $12.95 fix to getting at the tension spring easy. I've used these for a couple years now, works great, easy to get on/off and will not damage clutch shoes. This plus a large adjustable is pretty darn quick.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945570000P?vName=Tools&cName=Wrenches,Ratchets&Sockets&sName=Strap%20Wrench%20Sets&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

For getting bolt on/off, I just use my knee to compress and thread it on. I like ZTRs tool (and buy lots of their products), but I can't see spending the $$ when its a fairly easy job.

-EA

EthansDad
03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
oh, and if you mean the clutch shoe springs (tiny ones), they are a bear. I use this tool, but it is still a PIA job.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&brandId=294&navTitle=Exhaust&webTypeId=51&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=3028

WISH1965
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about. Looks like it will work well. My "manhands" are getting too old & weak, need a tool like this :)

bulldogfallon
03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by WISH1965
What is the best way to remove/install the clutch springs without damaging the clutch shoes? Is there a special tool for expanding the spring when installing. These things are tough to expand to install and there has got to be a good tool for this application or perhaps another technique without damaging the shoe. Last time i did this i was able to accomplish it, however doing this with minimal gouging to the shoe can be challenging. Tips on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

WW

It's called a Stage 6 R/T Clutch.....Once you get one you will never go back to OEM

Take the springs out in about 30 seconds....no blood, band aids or 4 letter words

No special tools....just a small allen key and you can change them in and out in no time, plus it is an adjustable clutch that is easy to tune and maintain....

TTracer#22
03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm with Gary on this the stage 6 is the way to go.

hotquads1
03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I agree, the S-6 makes life a breeze ! springs fall out in your hand . It cost a little more but when you subtract the cost of the injuries is prtty cheap .