PDA

View Full Version : carb issue (I think)...about ready to give up!

rippin416
03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
So my 400ex, upon start up, has an issue. It seems like the choke has no effect on it......it will "cough" through the intake....i have to keep hitting the throttle to get it running......it will idle eventually, but really slow until it is almost fully warmed up....takes about 5 minutes of messing around to get it to stay running.....but once it is running and warmed up, it is ABSOLUTELY FINE!! I dont get it!!!....no throttle hesitation, will start up and idle fine and everything. ANY input would be greatly appreciated! FYI....I am running 42 pilot, stock needle position, (as far as i know...never looked) 155 main. no airbox lid, pipe, k&n filter with outerwears, stage 2 cam, port and polish, 10:1 piston 406cc

sc400ex_rider
03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
thats because the factory choke HAs NO EFFECT. thats why ppl take them off. these are very cold natured. if you pump the throttle it has an accelerator pump and will squirt fuel to aid in starting or just get the 450r carb it has a real choke that works. the choke alone is worth the mod, no killin your battery for 5-10 minutes.

jasonwayne222
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
probly your pilot is clogged. I would take your carb apart and dip it in carb dip. And the factory choke does effect it. I will bogg out if i try and run with it on. And it makes a big difference using it when cold on start up. I have a 40 pilot, On first startup in a while Ill pump the throttle 3 times and give a little choke and itll fire right up, I only leave choke on for a few seconds and then its good.

rippin416
03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
ok...today i took the whole carb apart and cleaned it.....everything is good and clean....try to start it up, still coughing and hard to start. Eventually it will start and begin to idle on its own, but very very slow almost to the point of stalling.....once it is warmed up it is fine. I can even tell a difference with the choke on and off when its warmed up, but at cold start there is no difference. throttle response it nice and crisp too so it cant be pilot......idk wat the problem is! .....i did notice tho that the needle might not be seating tight ....and letting fuel past it but maybe it is supposed to let some through idk.