PDA

View Full Version : I got the new HMF exhaust

lil_billy_300ex
03-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey Riders,
Well I got the new HMF Competition series exhaust system for my 05 450r a few weeks ago. Justin at Brothers Motorsports in Brainerd MN orderd the pipe for me. The guys at Brothers have always been good to me. They got the pipe to me quick, just before an ice racing weekend I told them about. It's nice to know that your local dealership cares about what you do with your machine and not just a sale of a product.
When I opened the box, I was impressed with the fabrication and craftsmanship of the head pipe as well as the silencer. The head pipe has a nice, thick mounting flange that bolted on very snug and gave the bike a nice look. The head pipe had a little shorter bend to it, a much shorter bend than my Rossier I ran 2 years ago.
The silencer has a slightly rough black texture paint to it. The new sticker and newly designed end cap really made it eye catching. The end cap has allen head screws that look easy to remove to install different cores that came with the pipe.
Reading about the Cores in the instruction book, HMF doesn't recommend that you use the smallest core for long periods of time. I was a little disappointed after reading this because having a quiet pipe is one of the main reasons I bought this. I live on the edge of town and I just dont want to upset the neighbors, but oh well.
When it came to mounting the silencer I was again disappointed. I really had to pull the silencer towards the subframe. I also had to use the stock mounting bolts that were just barely long enough to get it mounted up, it was a slight struggle but I got it. After mounting everything, I took a step back and was again disappointed, looking behind the machine the silencer sat cockeyed and didnt look right to me. But at this time I was more excited to ride it so I looked past it. I installed a 185 main jet, 52 pilot, sparks needle at the 3rd clip and my A/F mixture screw 1 and 1/4 turns out. The pipe gave a nice, clean, sound to it, fairly quiet with just the spark arrestor in. I ran the bike less than expected due to a canceled oval race but I still got to do some riding and it seem to pull pretty good.
I believe HMF build a very good, reliable product. I guess I was just a little disappointed in the fitting on the bike. Just my opinion. Let me know what you think, maybe I'm just too picky. I will try to get some pics up soon. thanks

Mat #74

Baileygunns
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Might be a silly question but, did you loose fit it all first before snugging it all down?

If not loosen up the header bolts so they are in there but the pipe is loose. Then mount the can and wiggle the header around till it all lines up correctly. Once it's all lined up tighten everything down.

If you tightened the header bolts down before you put the can on it can sometimes cause misalignment...

Just a thought and you may have done it this way...

stoopidbot
03-06-2010, 02:48 AM
I have the same pipe on my 07 450R. I too had to force the silencer to the subframe. Mine came with a longer bolt and a spacer to make it sit straight. Without the spacer in between the pipe's bracket and the mounting bracket on the bike, it would sit very crooked.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt356/stoopidbot/IMG_1612.jpg

lil_billy_300ex
03-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Mine didn't come with a spacer or longer bolt, I don't know if there is supposed to be one with the pipe or not. but i am going to make one that should make the pipe fit better. and yes i did loosen the head pipe it helped a little but it still didn't fit right.

stoopidbot
03-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah mine had one longer bolt with washers and a spacer. It went on the bracket that is actually on the canister. not the mid pipe. Here is a pic of my spacer.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt356/stoopidbot/IMG_2330.jpg

lil_billy_300ex
03-06-2010, 07:34 AM
thanks for the pic, looks great. thats probably all mine will take to fit better.

stoopidbot
03-06-2010, 07:39 AM
I hope so, good luck. The spacer is roughly 1/4" thick.

ratso
03-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't think your 2 picky. I had the same problem with mine. The silencer hit my subframe. I have the rossier on mine now.

What was wrong with your rossier?

lil_billy_300ex
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I loved my rossier, it was just too loud. i even tried the supertrapp style end cap and i didnt like it. so i thought maybe try something new then i got the HMF

03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I kinda wanted to try the new HMF since I liked their previous ones so much. After hearing this I am starting to think maybe I shouldnt.

stoopidbot
03-07-2010, 05:45 AM
The pipe is amazing paired up with the stage 2 cam in my 450. Mine came with the longer bolt and spacer and it hooked up perfect. It is nice and straight

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt356/stoopidbot/IMG_2334.jpg
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt356/stoopidbot/IMG_2333.jpg.

coryatver
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
sounds like this guy just didn't get the hardware needed. call hmf im sure they will send it to you.

stoopidbot
03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
sounds like this guy just didn't get the hardware needed. call hmf im sure they will send it to you.

Exactly, all that stuff came in a little sealed baggie.

JAKE YATES
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
i just put mine on over the weekend, and i had to force it on also. and it sits a little cocked from the back veiw.

stoopidbot
03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I guess I'm the only one who got a decent one. Of course mine was free from HMF. I'm doing a review on the pipe for them.

lil_billy_300ex
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm going to call HMF tomorrow.

Sjorge450R
03-08-2010, 05:12 PM
off topic but, stoopidbot, where did you get that seat cover?

stoopidbot
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
off topic but, stoopidbot, where did you get that seat cover? It's a Throttle Jockey Gripper cover.

http://www.powersports360.com/eshopprod_cat_5428-12904-12909_product_703891.THROTTLE_JOCKEY_GRIPPER_SEAT_ C.htm?utm_source=VersaFeed&utm_medium=VersaFeed&utm_content=Throttle+Jockey+Gripper+Seat+Cover&utm_campaign=base&v_traceback=c0306_0117_f0306_1826

lil_billy_300ex
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I talked with Mike at HMF today. told him what i had going on. He told me he also has a 05 450r and encountered the same problem. He said there is no spacer or longer bolt that comes with the 04-05 system but the 06 and up do. He recommended loosening the head pipe and clamp and seeing if that helps. If not, he said he will send out a spacer. He was very helpful. I'm glad i made the call. but i have a feeling I'm going to be calling him again because i kinda tried that already.