PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems

CJM
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Just attempted to change the brakes on my 00 EX, didnt go to well.

Rear brake caliper was going good till I went to remove the bolts that hold the pads on and found out that one was stripped. Pretty sure I need a whole new caliper and all the parts cause of that one

Fronts went ok, everything assembled ok. The right side moves with some resistance like it should, the left side is the problem.

Left side caliper was fine until I tested the brakes and pulled the lever. It basically seized. Its movable with a wheel on but VERY hard to move, I think it locked up.

So, I think I need calipers all the way around.I say all of them b/c when working on cars its not a good idea to replace only one of the sides b/c it induces pull since the newer one works better. Thoughts?

Also, no matter how much I bleed the fronts (im pumping the lever up then holding and then opening the bleeders) the lever feels squishy.

CJM
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Just to add:

The caliper thats locking can be pushed in with ease with some large channel locks. But once you hit the brakes and the piston extends it locks back up and wont release.

Edit: Also just tried to remove the slider bolt and I think I found the answer to my problem-its frozen solid in there and now stripped.

Joy, new calipers..

honda400ex2003
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
did you squeeze them with them off of the rotors to test them? I would def try to get some anti seize on them and steel wool them to get them cleaned up the best you can before buying all new calipers. If you are going to do that you might as well get the 450 stuff and upgrade them. I would make sure you do not have a leak or air in the lines, make sure you have the rear parking brake stuff loose enough for the piston to move back far enough also. i would probably try to get the parts you need by looking at a scematic to get the bolts and such to get them fixed. I doubt that you have 3 calipers messed up unless you tested them without the rotors in or anything. then they aer most likely blown. steve

CJM
03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Heres how it went:
Rear caliper the one bolt hole is frigged up, the threads are no good at all thanks to previous owner i guess. The pins that the pads ride on, one was the cause of that all stripped out. The slide itself was literally FROZEN and I managed to break it free but the rubbers trashed. Unless I helicoil it and then get the parts its junk. Could always use it as a back up I guess when i fix it.

Fronts the one sides fine, other side like I said was totally locked up, tried to remove the pin and it wouldnt budge. Tried to really yank on it and stripped it. I did squeeze them before hand, went in hard on the side thats no good now. Ive BTDT on cars before, if they lock like this its usually best to go new, only difference is they are MUCH cheaper.

Honestly I just feel better with all new stuff. Does 450R stuff bolt right up, or does it need other things?

CJM
03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Just scored a set of OEM fronts off ebay for 100, online parts store (which is really cheap btw) wanted that for just one.

Also bought a new OEM rear for cheaper

And figured while im at it to go with stainless lines for a decent price too.

Total brake overhaul