PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex frame cr 125 motor?

Eclipsemike
03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
hey i have an old 300 ex that has a crack in the cases and i think i wanna do a little beat around bike. how would a cr125 motor work in the 300ex frame? i am thinking it would almost be a beat around bike like a blaster something to just screw around with. does anyone have pictures or specs to how hard it would be to do. i am in no big rush to do it but i think it would be something pretty cool to ride other then my other 300 ex and my 450r. open to suggestions and opinions

beastlywarrior
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
that would be awsome

woodsracer144
03-04-2010, 12:07 PM
the 125 would be a fairly easy swap, the motor is fairly small the hardest part would be routing a pipe and a raidator in there..

you just have to make sure the sprocket shaft and pivot bolt are alined and the sprockets are in a line...

Eclipsemike
03-04-2010, 01:08 PM
well i would like to see if anyone has any pictures of it done? i mean a little fabircation of exhaust shouldnt be that bad plus the 125 head pipe isnt rediculously huge either. i figure i have the full rollin chassis i might look for some 400 ex stock a arms and 450 fron shocks with the 400 ex shock bracket. it would be a fun little toy to mess around with. i think.but first i need to find a cr 125 engine in decent shape. maybe need something that needs to be rebuilt, with a good bottom end. if anyone come across something let me know i would like to try to start this project.

woodsracer144
03-04-2010, 01:33 PM
ok what ever your going to do when you do these builds think of it twice as hard on the hardness scale. you can put any motor in anything if you want it just is how much work do you want to put in to doing it... this build i think would be very easy but trust me you will come to a point where you will be stopped... it might be minor might be major but you will have a kink someplace along the like...

Eclipsemike
03-04-2010, 10:25 PM
thanx woods. i figured that much but my buddy also told me that he beleiv3es there is a company out there that makes motor mounts for this such hybrids but i am not positive of this i was figuring on bending and welding up something myself. to challenge myself. but first i need to find a motor. i was on craigslist today lookin for a complete 125 dirtbike today and made some texts to people tryin to find a complete bike. found a 01'yz125 for 600 with a blown top end but i couldnt get there in time to make a buy cause he had someone coming to look at it. but i figured that was a deal and a half for a complete bike i would have prolly parted the rest of the bie out and made some money back but that didnt go as planned. lol i still hope to see some pictures if anyone out there may have come across a couple somewhere. i would like to check them out.

born2ride14
03-05-2010, 05:44 AM
I am putting a crf250r motor in my 300ex frame,i will get some pics when i start the swap

woodsracer144
03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by born2ride14
I am putting a crf250r motor in my 300ex frame,i will get some pics when i start the swap

dude shoot me some, what motor are you going to use?

Eclipsemike
03-06-2010, 08:57 AM
i would like to see some pics too. but that is still a 4 stroke engine i wanna do a 2 stroke swap. anyone has pictures of this swap

born2ride14
03-06-2010, 09:57 AM
like i said guys, i will get pics, when i get the motor.

I am going to need a 86-87 250r style swingarm, right now i have an 89 style

Eclipsemike
03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
well i am still looking around for a 125 dirtbiketo use the motor and drive train from for this project. anyone on here have a 125 2 stroke liquid cooled bike for sale even if not in runnin order. anyone with some info please let me know and i would still like to see if anyone has pictures of this hybrid combo. i know its basically a 250r with a smaller motor and the frame geometry is a little different. but i am basically wanting to do this hybrid to make a bike for my g/f to ride. something not too fast for her but if i wanna get on it and screw around it will still be fun

woodsracer144
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Eclipsemike
i am basically wanting to do this hybrid to make a bike for my g/f to ride. something not too fast for her but if i wanna get on it and screw around it will still be fun

thats what im going to be do also, i got a LT250r a trx 250r and then i got this 250x chassis for free from a buddy cause i got him a new one, (this one he gave me is cracked up good) anyways im gonna change the geo on it a little and then i would like to put a 250f in it... i think that woudl be tits!

shes got a dirt bike but thats a hour away at her grandparents and she lives in town, i like 10 mins out of town and have alot of land i ride on and when im not working i ride and i dont want to push her away, since she knows how to ride i think it will be fun... i just gotta get them running again, dang motors why do i always have to take you apart to make you more powerful?!?!

brokenbones
03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
i have a complete 06 cr125 motor with ignition,carb,and pipe with custom exit pipe with silencer for a 250r frame if you are interested shoot me a offer

this is a winning motor with new top end

Eclipsemike
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
hey broken you have a pm... i am not tryin to spend too much tho.