PDA

View Full Version : throttle issue

bigbad400
03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
i know my jetting is off cus its still set for a 440 but i just wanted to start and idle for a min and the pilot is a 42 so i should have bean fine.

i started it up got it to idle and then let it for a min. after it warmed up i snapped the gas a couple times to rev it up and it just chugged out and died.

do you think i could foul a plug just doing that?

im going to do the jets as soon as it warms up some. but i guess i should throw a ballpark guess in there.

bigbad400
03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
the plug was wet and black and it was bran new, i think the pilot is too rich and the main too but that shouldnt matter yet right? i havent drove it i just started it.

the pilots a 42 and the main was a 175 but now its a 160 till i jet it properly.

i searched for rich pilot symptoms but i couldnt find anything. all i could find is lean symptoms.

fishnfergie
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
If you snapped the throttle hard enough you probably got into the main jet part a little bit and that is what caused it to start "flooding" and why the spark plug is wet black colored.

bigbad400
03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
oh i feel real stupid but... i went out to throw some ballpark jets in the carb and see if it made any difference, i pulled the carb and i found the problem instantly, when i tore everything down i put some paper towl in the cab intake so nothing would get in there sitting in the garage, i apparently forgot to remove it when i put the carb back on. so once i pulled that out the thing fired right up with the 42 pilot like it should have. it idles fine and i can rev it up and it doesnt choke out. i threw a 160 main in and untill it warms up i cant jet it properly anyhow rite now.

all problems solved once again and she runs again. lol what a stupid mistake.

rooster300ex
03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by bigbad400

all problems solved once again and she runs again. lol what a stupid mistake.

We have all done it. U can post this mistake in the most stupid thing you have ever done working on your quad thread lol

Talk about stupid I didn't put any air filter oil on my foam filter before i put it on.

Wheelie
03-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Do NOT try and tune a quad in neutral by snapping the throttle. A properly tuned quad might die or hesitate if the throttle is snapped open in neutral.

I repeat--do NOT try to tune a quad in neutral.

bigbad400
03-07-2010, 08:05 AM
i know you dont jet in neutral. i was actually just firing it up to make sure it ran i have to wait for warmer weather befor i can jet it. its about 40 out right now and i jet my machines to run perfect at like 80 degrees out. we still have a lot of snow on the ground. lol