PDA

View Full Version : neck brace suggestions

djdfairchild
03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
anyone have a suggestion on a neck brace for the kids thats not to cumbersome and doesn't cost $400. trying to decide on what to buy to help keep them safe.

Logan #34's Dad
03-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Okay, I had a hard time with this one awhile back until someone made me understand.
We parents spend $500 for "go fast" parts but will not spend $400 for something to keep them safe. As the quad goes faster the most safety equipment we need to buy. IMO
Do yourself a favor and buy a Leatt. As you watch MX on tv you notice that almost everyone has a Leatt on.
Check out Iron Pony here in Ohio, they have a great price and shipping is free for items over a certain amount.

coffing918
03-04-2010, 05:33 AM
leatt if u buy anything else u will regret it, I first went with the evs, my son would not wear it, he hated it, and his helmet would sit like 3 inches off of his head while the brace was on, his neck is short and it just didnt fit him right, so I went with the leatt brace and he never complained from the first second he put it on, he now weares it between motos and plays with his friends while running around. that says alot for a kid.

bulldogfallon
03-04-2010, 05:35 AM
The Leatt Adventure is a good choice and is less than the $400 you mentioned.

EVS also makes a pupular neckbrace and then the Omega brace is now available in a youth size.

Leatt is the most popular by far, but each one seems to have a different claim to fame..

I think it's a great idea to get any of these...the peace of mind knowing you have given your rider the ability to ride safely is priceless.

tyler70t
03-04-2010, 05:45 AM
We chose the Leatt as well and went with the Rockgardn body protection, it gives the children as well as the parents the peace of mind that they have the best protection money can buy while participating in this sometimes dangerous sport.....my .02........Jeff

tntauto1127
03-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Both of my kids wear leatts. My son has the club model and my daughter has the adventurer model. They are pretty close to the same except the adventurer is cheaper and has less adjustments. If I were to buy one I feel the adventurer is the way to go. It's cheaper and offers the same protection that the more expensive one does. I didn't notice an issue with the less adjustments.

greenmachine70
03-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
the Leatt Adventure is a good choice and is less than the $400 you mentioned.

EVS also makes a pupular neckbrace and then the Omega brace is now available in a youth size.

Leatt is the most popular by far, but each one seems to have a different claim to fame..

I think it's a great idea to get any of these...the peace of mind knowing you have given your rider the ability to ride safely is priceless.
The last sentence here is whats its all about. They all say they are the best, get what you think is best for you. We have the evs, my son had a really bad crash end over end and his neck and collarbone were soar so the brace did its job & I am grateful I bought it. It took a whole year of racing before the first big one, but it will happen. Remember with quads & racing its not "if they will have a wreck" its "when". Just comes with the risk of racing.

raidernut
03-04-2010, 08:13 AM
The Leatt is the best way to go. I believe I have a $100 off coupon for a Leatt, will have to look. If i do i will PM you and you can use it if you decide to purchase.

thequadfather+2
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
We use EVS, no problem with the fit or the function. Both helmets on our 6 & 9 year old fit fine. They wear it under their chest protector. As Gary mentioned there are several out there and some are more comfortable than others. As far as protection the EVS works as well as any. It is difficult to find a good chest protector that fits with it though. The Leatt is the most popular, they were the first to introduce a neck brace that actually worked. I know the Leatt riders/parents stand behind their stuff but we are satisfied with our EVS as well......I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night:D

#404's Dad
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Leatt all the way, we use it with the Oneal Underdog/Rockgardn, they work Great together. Been in a couple good wrecks and both times I was happy he had it on!!

We got our first one from Gary at G-Force a site sponsor on this very site.

redonkulousruntsracing
03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
for my 6 year old we went with the EVS RC- Evolution brace. I have seen younger kids (5-8 years old) with Leatts break collar bones when they crashed. The EVS seems to spread the impact more over the top of the shoulders. My son did a face plant last season when his quad bucked him over the bars and he walked away from that wreck and he even got back on his quad and finished the race, broken visor on his helmet and a face full of dirt. I was glad he had the EVS collar on.

TT450RVET
03-04-2010, 09:27 AM
MY SON WAS AT A TT NATIONAL LAST SEASON AND FLIPPED END OVER END IN THE FIRST TURN IN PRACTICE AND IT WAS PRETTY BAD TO SEE. HE WANTED TO GET THE HOLESHOT EVEN THOUGH IT WAS STILL PRACTICE AND WENT IN TOO FAST IN THE FIRST CORNER AND I ENDED UP SEEING THE ATV GO END OVER END FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACK WITH HIM GOING WITH IT OVER TOP HEAD FIRST. I AM SURE WE HAVE ALL SEEN THIS AND AS PARENTS WE ALL BECOME IMMEDIATELY CONCERNED AS THIS IS ONE OF THE DRAWBACKS OF LETTING YOUR KID RACE ATV'S. I AM A BELIEVER THAT REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY DO THEY CAN GET HURT OR INJURIED AND THEY WILL OVER TIME BELIEVE ME BUT AS PARENTS WE HAVE THE OBLIGATION TO AT LEAST MAKE SURE OUR KIDS ARE SAFE FIRST BEFORE THEY GO FAST. THE FLAGMAN STANDING THERE AT THAT TIME WHEN I GOT OVER THERE STATED HE LANDED ON HIS NECK AND LEG. HE ENDED UP BEING ON CRUTCHES AFTER THE WEEKEND (HE WOULD NOT TELL ME HIS LEG HURT TIL WE WHERE LEAVING AS HE DID NOT WANT TO MISS A RACE- HA HA) BUT THERE WAS NO NECK, COLLARBONE OR ANY OTHER SERIOUS ISSUE NOT EVEN PAIN OR A CONCUSSION. WHEN I GOT THERE AFTER MY SON WRECKED HE WAS TRYING TO START THE ATV AND KICKING IT OVER AND OVER TIL I GOT OVER THERE AND GOT IT STARTED AND HE TOOK OFF. THE FLAGMAN JUST LOOKED AT ME WITH THOSE SHOCKED AND SURPRISED EYES. HE STATED THAT IS ONE TOUGH KID AS MY SON TOOK OFF BACK ON THE DRR AS STATED HE HAS SEEN ALLOT OF WRECKS AND THIS ONE LOOKED BAD. BEFORE I WILL SPEND ANYTHING FOR SHOCKS, MOTOR ETC SAFETY MUST COME FIRST. I HAVE SEEN THE LEATT BRACE FIRST HAND AS THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE AND IT DID WHAT IS SUPPOSE TO DO AND DID IT'S PART TO PRETECT MY SON FROM SERIOUS INJURY. I WOULD NOT EVEN SUGGEST GETTING A CHEAPER OFF BRAND JUST TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS, GET THE BEST AND THE BEST ONLY. YOU DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER BECAUSE THEY GO INJURIED WHEN YOU COULD OF SPENT THE EXTRA MONEY ON SAFETY EQUIPMENT. THAT IS A CONVERSATION I NEVER WANT TO HAVE AS THIS SPORT IS DANGEROUS ENOUGH. GET THE BEST SAFETY HELMET AND OTHER GEAR AVAILABLE. GET THE BEST NECK BRACE AND ALL THE OTHER GEAR YOU CAN. I WILL LET MY SON GET A NEW HELMET EVERY SEASON AND LOOK AT SAFETY FIRST NOT COST. REMEMBER THEY HAVE A LONG LIFE AHEAD AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFE FIRST. IF THE BUDGET IS TIGHT AS THIS CAN BE A VERY EXPENSIVE SPORT THEN I WOULD SUGGEST FORGETTING ABOUT ALL THE GO FAST AND BOLT ON'S AS IF THEY CAN'T BE SAFE YOU CAN'T LET THEM OUT THERE. WOULD YOU LET YOUR KID PLAY FOOTBALL OR BASEBALL WITHOUT A HELMET? THEY WHY WOULD YOU LET YOUR KID OUT THERE WITHOUT THE BEST SAFETY GEAR ON THE MARKET. I AM SURE GUYS LIKE G-FORCE, HETRICKS, SNYDERS AND OTHERS WOULD HELP YOU OUT IN MAKING SURE YOUR KID IS SAFE. THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.

djdfairchild
03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
leatt it is, thanks for all the help, i'm glad i asked, saftey will deffinetly come first thats why i asked, sounds like the $400 will be worth every penny. any opion on if i should also get the chest protector for it? will it be more comfortable or fit better?

thanks

nitrofish
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I was a victim of not wanting to purchase a neck brace, due to the price. It's funny you'll drop the bucks for the quad parts without blinking. My first e-mail to Gary (G-Force) was; send me the parts to make this thing go fast. His response was, we can do it but make sure he is ready and safety equipment should be first. Listen to the folks that have been in the game. Jack is only 4 and he does not even understand the concept of the brace, other than his riding buddy wears one. As the parent I feel I am required to make him use one, because he can't make that choice on his own. Leatt for us, try to go to a store and buy both the brace and chest protector at the same time for the best fit.

tyler70t
03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Call Gary @ G-Force and get a Rockgardn chest protector, they fit awesome with the Leatt!!!!

#404's Dad
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by tyler70t
Call Gary @ G-Force and get a Rockgardn chest protector, they fit awesome with the Leatt!!!!

I'll second that!! Or if you prefer a black protector over the white then get the Oneal Underdog, same thing just diff color I think, we have used that setup for 2 years and he loves it.

coffing918
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
we use a thor chest protector, with our leatt

JAG Motosports
03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
......I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night:D

LMAO!:p

Andyman17dad
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Leatt/RockgardN!!! the back of the Leatt fits right down inside the RockgardN very nicely!

tom450r
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I have a child's Leatt that is like new that I'll be willing to sell since my daughter only wore it once & is done racing. PM me if your intersested. or call Tom 219-808-2866

travis rimmer
03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
alpinestars makes a very good one and its only 250 bucks its lighter and more comfortable to

selbygirl
03-06-2010, 02:49 AM
we got the evs it fits good under his chestprotector and my son rebound off his bike and landed on his helmet he got up ripped the viser off his helmet and he hoped back on and went .i made him stop rideing for the day at a race i was afraid he cracked his helmet but i realy think that neck brace saved his neck and we allways keep a spaRE HELMET JUST BECAUSE IT COST THE MOST DOISENT MEAN ITS THE BEST JUST LIKE IS COBRA BETTER THEN DRR I THINK ITS LIKE A FORD OR CHEVY THING SEEYA TOMMY

thequadfather+2
03-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I agree. I dont think cost is a factor with most anyone looking for protection for their kids. I am not going to buy a Leatt just because it cost more and I didnt get the EVS because it cost less than the Leatt. I chose the EVS because it had less range of motion when all the inserts were in it. I have since removed 1 insert allowing for a little more room for a larger helmet for my 9 year old.

The Leatt is a good product, so is the EVS and Alpinestar. There is no price on protection, either it works or it doesnt. If you think its the best because it's the most expensive then I think you got it for the wrong reason.

I am a flight Paramedic and have taken care of many atv riders over the years. Most of the time it's for the folks riding without a helmet. Most had a good out-come and some have not, I cant recall flying anyone (with neck/back pain) to the trauma center that was wearing one of these three neck braces. I took an individual to the trauma center after an MX accident last year with a head and neck injury and no neck brace and unfortunately he passed away. I personally see this all the time, we will probably fly 10-15 kids or adults from tracks from now until next November.

It's not the cost of the product, it is the protection the product provides. If you cant afford a Leatt, EVS or Alpinestar then buy what ever you can. I believe going without a neck brace is as dangerous as going without a helmet.

dissclaimer: no representation is made that the quality of my opinion is greater than the quality of the opinion of anyone else on this forum or that my opinion is based on anything but my opinion....
:D

djdfairchild
03-07-2010, 11:08 AM
i decided to go with the leatt for my older son but not my 5 yr old, i was told its not really made for that small of rider, i was thinking about the omega for him does anyone have an opinion on the omega.