PDA

View Full Version : Head Stay

mikeminyard
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Is this a crucial part? I see the cool head can be purchased with or without it. I have broken and repaired mine a couple of times, but am now done. I tried to buy a new one from Honda, but it is no longer made. What is the concensus?

infamous
03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I have mine installed for the strength of the frame, but do not have the bolt for the head installed...recommended by my engine builder.
They put stress on the head and can cause a head gasket leak.

All250R
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by mikeminyard
Is this a crucial part? I see the cool head can be purchased with or without it. I have broken and repaired mine a couple of times, but am now done. I tried to buy a new one from Honda, but it is no longer made. What is the concensus?
There is a lot of speculation about the head stay having a negative effect on engine operation, but I don't know anyone who's put any data together on it. Less speculatively, is it will strengthen the chassis. If you're repairing it, it means you're frame is flexing a serious amount and its trying to do its job holding things together. Removing it will just place the strain somewhere else, and I'm guessing in a higher magnitude. Rusty or another mech engineer may have something more penetrating to add. Another fact is Honda repeatedly puts it in their bikes. I trust that decision myself without having read anything objective telling me otherwise. At the very least I'd say leave the bar in even if don't connect it to the engine. Don't remove pieces of your frame.

TORNADO
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
This 1 is debateable. On 1 hand, you have structural rigidablity. On the other, you have motor reliability. I think it really comes down to the size of the engine. More cc's equals more vibration, even with a counter balanced engine. If your motor is stock bore size or a couple of bores over, i'd say run a head stay. It increases the rigidity of the frame, especially if its a stock, mild steel frame. But, if the cylinder has been punched out to a big bore (330 +), run without one. Most aftermarket (chromoly) frames dont have the mounting tabs for the head stay on them, because the chromoly frames are strong enough to not need them. As for finding a replacement, just use the old bracket (if its intact and the holes are in the right place) to have a welder/fabricator make 1 for you out of chromoly. But, make sure he has chromoly tubing to make 1. Good luck.

Rich250RRacer
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by TORNADO
Most aftermarket (chromoly) frames dont have the mounting tabs for the head stay on them, because the chromoly frames are strong enough to not need them.

Which aftermarket chassis' are you referring to? Both of my Lonestars have a head stay, and I'm pretty sure every Laeger I've seen has them too. :confused:

TORNADO
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
My bad. I guess i'm just refering to the Roll chassis and some other custom "1 of a kinds" ive seen in my racing carrer. If the aftermarket chassis has provisions for a head stay, by all means, use it. Unless you have your motor punched out big. You'll feel it in your bars and footpegs if its too much.

brokenbones
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I run one on my lonestar chassis with my esr 330 I was told by eddie when i was at pismo beach race to run it

I have allways ran it on my stock frame small bores

i am no expert on frame flex or rigidness of frame but i have been racing these since the first one came out and have never cracked a frame in the upper area

just my 2 cents

C41Xracer
03-04-2010, 04:13 AM
this concerns me now, i have a laeger frame and a CT350. i was planning on running my headstay but from what tornado is saying its best not to?

All250R
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
this concerns me now, i have a laeger frame and a CT350. i was planning on running my headstay but from what tornado is saying its best not to?
I wouldn't let fear make your decision. I'd ask for some test data or references that support a theory/speculation before disconnecting the stay. There may be some, but there isn't any in this thread yet.

C41Xracer
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
i had an 89 gusseted chassis with a duncan 265, i took the head stay off and after i did that the chassis cracked. was it because of removing the head stay??? im not shure but it is odd that it cracked after i took it off

86 Quad R
03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
i personally wouldnt run it connected(to the head) on an out mx'er because of the harsh twisting ect that the frame is put through but would have it attached to the frame. :cool: