PDA

View Full Version : blowin smoke on startup.

jasonwayne222
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
The motors got about 20 hours on it since the initial rebore. I reringed it about 10 hours ago because it was smoking again due to the guy who bored it did a bad job, its a little egg shaped. but anyhow it blows a big cloud of blue smoke when i start it up, after a few seconds it clears and doesnt blow any smoke as it idles, but a little when i rev it. havent gone ride since it did this I just discovered it but I will ride it around tomorrow and see.

Im thinking my valve seals are goin

Thumpin440ex
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is gas.. So you just re ringed it, didn't fix the issue about the oblonged bore??? That is prob the issue still then.. The ring is not going to take on a shape other then a perfectly round one.. Unless you have bad valve seals. I would say thats you problem

John

jasonwayne222
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
ya I know, it didnt do it for about 10 hours but due to odd wear on the rings its probly the rings, i can keep reringing it for cheap or i can fork out about 300 bucks and go the next size up. Im probly gonna keep runnin it till it gets worse then doe 440. Will some Lucas motor oil treatment help.

moyer17901
03-09-2010, 06:37 PM
the motor treatment probably wont work, using a thicker oil could possibly slow down the amount of oil being burnt, but then you might have other issues such as improper oiling of certain parts, it seems like you just want to ride it out for awhile and not bore it again, but if you want to stop burning oil thats really the only solution, the egged cylinder wont allow the rings to seat properly allowing for the oil to enter the top of the piston this is why your seeing the blue smoke, if left like that the only things that will happen are reducing the life of spark plugs and massive amounts of carbon build up, this will rob power from you and if the build up gets bad it can keep your valves from seating or getting them stuck open or closed which would make more problems if the valves get stuck open your piston could make contact and destroy the piston and the valves and could cause shrapnel to lodge itself in other parts, in the end you really should just bite the bullet and get it bored over

jasonwayne222
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
its not that bad, and when i say its eggshaped its really not bad its just not to my standards, im an aviation mech. and everything I inspect is very close tolerance so im just use to having perfect standards but thats not always the case with some machine shops, its not perfect but not nearly that bad, it actually smoked blue twice, once for 5 seconds while riding, and then the other day for a few seconds upon first startup, then it stopped, it could be one or all of the valve seals starting to take a ****, but the first rebuild i did on it was after about a year of smoking really bad, it was all stock and when i pulled it apart it had a whole lot of carbon build up in the head and i polished it all out, but for it to have damage like what u are saying frome excessive carbon build up would have to be from straight smoking the whole time the motors running for hours and hours so that statement you made is a little extreme dont you think, not saying it couldnt happen but it would take a whole whole lot.

jasonwayne222
03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
also when i polished out all the carbon during the first rebuild, there was a whole lot of carbon build up in the head, and I mean a lot, but even with all that carbond build up when I popped out the valves the valve seats still looked perfect, I even filled the head full of fuel before I removed them and they didnt leak a drop.

lester985
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
if u want i have a wiseco 416 11:1 piston with about 5 hours it just changed it to put 426 in it and we can give u a good bore. for piston and bore 125$ i live in new iberia la just let me know and we can do it while u wait

moyer17901
03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Im an automotive/diesel technician, I was being extreme but when you said egging i just thought of some of the egged out blocks i have seen

jasonwayne222
03-10-2010, 07:38 PM
well I would need a 426 piston since im 416 right now to bore to the next size. I work in Abbeville two weeks at a time. How much would u charge for a bore?

lester985
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
sorry i seen in your sig after 40 or 50 just bring piston and jug or we can order u apiston if u like and ucan watch it get bored