PDA

View Full Version : how to rebuild crank

Quad Dude
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
i have a hot rod crank for my 400 and the rod bearing has some vertical play how do i go about getting a new connecting rod put on?

bobizzle
03-11-2010, 02:05 AM
did you look into if it is a rebuild-able crank, which i think it is. if so, the buy a new connecting rod, usually comes with the bearing. i would brink a crank to be rebuilt to your local race shop, or if you can get a machinist to do it for you.

when rebuilding a crank, you have to press out the old crank shaft. this is the easy part, you can use a 2 ton press to get it out, but putting it back in is a whole nother story. its easy just to slap it back together, but you have to true up the 2 counter weights evenly, so you don't, then it gets a vibration issue. if it is 3 thousandths of an inch or more off, then it will vibrate. "that is .003 of an inch." i think there is a 2 thousandths of an inch tolerance allowed for. i yous to know of a shop in Missouri that specialized in rebuilding cranks, and boring, but the have shut down. they did it for $65 bux. it was a steal. some ppl have money and just buy a new whole new crank, not just the connecting rod, and call it a deal, but it is pretty expensive just to do it like that.

turbo j
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I would just buy a new oem honda crank and save the headache.

Quad Dude
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
its kinda just a secondary quad if that just wanted to find the cheapest way to fix it.

Kentang4
03-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Google Mr. Crankshaft. It's what they do. Snowmobiles, atv's, jetskis, etc. 2-stroke or 4. I used them for a cr250 that I needed a new rod on and it came out well. It cost $85 bucks about a year ago and he paid for the return shipping. Look them up an give them a call.

bobizzle
03-12-2010, 10:31 PM
thats not a bad deal, imma keep there site and use them on further crank replacements.

Quad Dude
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Rebuild your crankshaft with a new rod kit, disassemble your crank, clean, inspect, reassemble and true it, with return shipping by UPS-$189.99
The rod kit comes with a new rod, crankpin, and crankpin bearing.
All of the old parts removed from your crank will be sent back so that you can see what everything looks like.

this is the info i got after a few short emails with mr. crankshaft. asked them about a falicon crank for my 450 and since the pin was welded to the counter wieghts they said they couldnt help me.

Kentang4
03-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I probably should have elaborated a bit more... I purchased the connecting rod and sent it with the crank to Mr. Crankshaft. It was $85 for the install. I think the connecting rod for my 250 was a bit over $100 so total cost was in line with what he is quoting you for the whole deal.