PDA

View Full Version : changing out kickstart spring

mcwilly
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Anybody got any tips on how to make this task any easier? I've heard it's a real PITA.

#404's Dad
03-03-2010, 08:51 AM
It sucks, I use two sets of vise grips when I've done it , one to hold and one to wind lol.

jerkyboy
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Keep first aid kit nearby. Good luck

riding4fun
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I removed the kickstart and gear.
What I did was put the spring in place with the hook part of the spring in place.

Then I took a small nut driver and put it over the other end.
Now you need to imagine "stirring the pot" backwards slowly. I needed a second person to drop the gear in place after I had rotated the spring far enough. It really only took 10 seconds to do it this way for me.

Darrell

skyeryder
03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
What I did was put the spring in place with the hook part of the spring in place.

Now you need to imagine "stirring the pot" backwards slowly. I needed a second person to drop the gear in place after I had rotated the spring far enough. It really only took 10 seconds to do it this way for me.

Darrell

That sounds like a good idea, that's why i like this site good info there!!!

Logan #34's Dad
03-04-2010, 04:22 AM
I did the whole two screwdriver thing. Like putting a tire on a rim. I left the kicker on so I could move the gear around as needed. Once you get to the post that the spring hooks to, put a flat head through the hook on the spring and behind that post and lift until the spring slides down the screwdriver and onto the post.

Bowhunter69
03-04-2010, 07:48 AM
I use the screwdriver trick also. But I do like the idea of the nut driver.

Reimer Racing
03-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I got you all beat I use the Vise Grip and the screwdriver. :blah: One to hold the spring and the other to push the spring tab up on to the kicker. I also use a few cuss words. LOL

mcwilly
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun

Darrell

THANK YOU! (and everybody else who replied) I used this method and knocked it out in no time.

NRath
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I've had a prob with the DRR90 kick starter- doesn't like to return. Only comes up about half way. I took it all apart, didn't find any binding anywhere other than the inside of the spring on the housing. Of course there was the appropriate amount of frustration getting it back together. Still had the same problem.

Been this way since new. Any suggestions? Pull it apart and go for another wrap of the spring?

thequadfather+2
04-30-2010, 11:55 AM
unfortunately all of them pretty much suck. You can take it apart clean it and put a VERY small amount of lube on the two gears involved. Some people dont like to because it may get on the variator or belt. I put just a little chain lube on ours and then wipe it off. Our chain lube is designed to resist flinging off. Or at least thats what it says on the can, LOL. I know several people that lightly lube theirs and keep it clean and it performs much better. Since it's only used when kicking it I dont think theres much of a chance that it will get on the belt or variator. The key is "use lightly"...

mydirtkids
04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine was repairing a Yamaha scooter with the same tranny setup. That thing sees dirt roads, rain and mud. The kickstart is excellent... Did they do something different?

thequadfather+2
04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Good question. lots of people complain about the DRR kick-starter. Ours constanly need attention.

NRath
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Doesn't look significantly different. Spring seems a little different, though. Been a few months since I've had it apart and maybe I'm forgetting something.
CheckTHIS ONE (http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2002-yamaha-motorcycle-yj50rp-vino/o/m10199) out and see what you think.

buckfourty
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
any pics on what it should look like afterwards or b4 somereason it dont look right?