PDA

View Full Version : starter question

bigbad400
03-03-2010, 05:02 AM
so i have got most of the issue figured out but i still have a problem.

i have a good starter, a good connection and it all works when i push the botton, the starter cranks over but its a very nasty grinding noise and it only engages sometimes. all the gears that meet up look fine, all the teeth are good.

what the hell is going on? do the starters have a bearing that could go bad causing it to jump like that?

were do i fix this issue, i looked at the flywheel even and it looks fine no missing teeth. and when it catches it chugs real good like it has good compression. its a freshly rebuilt stock 400 motor with a cam. nothing to it. the starters i have were on running machines when i took them off. im at a loss were to start.

bigbad400
03-03-2010, 09:15 AM
explain the starter clutch will you. how do you change it and whatnot, i never had to mess with this **** befor

bigbad400
03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
anyone...

vaget22
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
According to the manual you need to pull the flywheel. The starter clutch is on the back side and there's a couple of smaller gears back there that could be buggered up. You can't see much of what's back there till you get the flywheel off.

miles Machine
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
un true you can take the starter off and try spinning the idler gear both ways it it engages one way and dosnt want to spin and free wheels the other way then it is being perfectly normal if it does ne thing but more one way and not more the other something is wrong