PDA

View Full Version : 700xx for a beginner!!!???

markas214
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
First let me introduce myself. I'm 49 and been riding street bikes since age 15. My last bike was a Valkyrie. I'm 5-6 220 and pretty strong as I've been a weight lifter for a long time. Truthfully I've never ridden a quad but I've ridden street pretty aggressively. A few days ago I got my 7 year old boy a 90 Polaris used and now want to ride together with him and his younger brother too in a few years. Basically a family thing.

So I'm thinking if I get a 400ex I'll be looking to get more power and upgrade in a year. I like to go fast! Funny because the my 7 year old , after we spent some time working with breaking with me pushing, pinned the throttle and took off the very first time he had full control with it running. Another adrenalin junky in the family. Basically I'm not looking for "what should I buy?" opinions but just doing the intro and my reasoning.

Apache Honda in Phoenix has the 700xx for $4800 OTD. The 400 Ex about $800 less. So anyway they ran my credit and I qualified for zero down financing on any Honda ATV.

I BOUGHT THE TRX700XX!! Black and dark silver metallic. It looks badass as hell. The red and black were cool to but this looks meaner.

So now I could use some advice from the veteran riders. The thumb throttle will be strange to use with the clutch until I get used to it. Do most riders even use the clutch once they get moving? If not any tips for shifting without it?.

Anyone in Phoenix who can give me good places to ride or would like to hook up let me know. I am near lake Pleasant OHV area and will probably head out there this weekend. I hope I posted this in the right place. I've been a lurker and this forum has been great for info. No other forum is even close to what is available here.

ceballos400
03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
If you can't get used to the thumb throttle, you can always go with a twist. Motion Pro and Streamline make some... This is a great quad, I'm on the bigger side, and needed more than my 400EX... glad I bought this one.. if you have any other questions, try this site... club700xx.com ... there's a lot more info there, and maybe a few members in your area

troybilt
03-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Congrats on the buy, 4800 is a good deal!

Hey, if you're not sure on the thumb throttle, check out Terry Cable, they have a combo thumb/twist throttle that you can switch back and forth. Might help you get used to it. Many racers especially the endurance type riding go with the twist. So if you are used to that I'd stick with it. Thumb is better for technical stuff in my opinion.

http://www.terrycable.com/products/products.aspx?id=MTAwNQ==

Goodluck with your 700XX!

yama450yfz
05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ceballos400
If you can't get used to the thumb throttle, you can always go with a twist. Motion Pro and Streamline make some... This is a great quad, I'm on the bigger side, and needed more than my 400EX... glad I bought this one.. if you have any other questions, try this site... club700xx.com ... there's a lot more info there, and maybe a few members in your area
Do not get a twist throttle riding an ATV is nothing like a dirt bike or street bike. Twist throttles on ATV's are known for putting people into trees on the trail. It's just easier to get out of a thumb throttle on an ATV trust me I have ridden quads with both types. As for the bike itself it should be great for the desert riding you will be using it for.