PDA

View Full Version : How to test the solenoid

eprovenzano
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm completing a rebuild of my 99 400ex. After a ride around the yard, I wanted to make some adjustments to the carb, so I hit the start button, and nothing happens, no blip, no click, nothing. Battery is good, fuse is good, as all the lights work, including the neutral light. If I cross the connectors on the solenoid I can fire the engine. I'm guessing the solenoid is bad... but before I replace parts, how do you test the solenoid?

I do have a meter, (although I've never used it) I'm mech inclined, but electrically challenged...

fearlessfred
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
if u have full 12 + volts at the sol.start button side with key on and starter button pushed and doesnt start and it does start by jumping across then yes its the noid

clemsonteg
03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
What I would do is check both sides of the solenoid with the key on not pushing in the button, check 1 pole at a time with 1 connector on the solenoid, the other to ground (on your meter). Then repeat the procedure with the button pressed in. I don't know how the solenoid is on the 400, but usually you have the in and out posts, and you have a trigger (the wire coming from the start button). Check to make sure you have signal on that trigger as well. If you have signal on the trigger, but the solenoid isnt working replacing it should fix your problem. Sometimes you can tap on them with a hammer lightly, the magnetic contacts inside can get stuck.

eprovenzano
03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I put the meter on the wires going to the solenoid. The volts were at 0 until the button is pressed, then the volts goto 13. So the solenoid is toast... So the next question, where to get a replacement. I see flea-bay has them for $27.00 Any other suggestions...