PDA

View Full Version : Help oh Wise ones, Shocks!!!

Pepto_Bismol
11-26-2001, 12:58 PM
Recently, I purchased a 400ex. Of course, I like to push the limits, and I've been jumping with stock shocks about 10-12 feet long, up in the air peeking at about 4 to 6 feet high. Does anyone know what a good (safe) limit is for jumping with stock shocks? How important is it to mod the suspension right away? I need some good info on a decent ( not neccassrily top end ) shock setup. I would greatly appreciate if some experienced riders could help me understand a little more about what other components go well with new shocks (such as replacing A-arms and swing arm) and why I need them. Advice please! Thanks in advance. :cool:

11-26-2001, 01:19 PM
Well the stock shocks will probably blow out after a good month or so of pounding,,mine went out in about 2 months,,and never was replaced under warranty,,so I bought new ones,,works triple rates with rezzies..not the best but do the job perfectly. Now the thing about getting shocks is do you plan on getting wider A-arms?? cuz if ya get shocks for your stock arms and get wider A-arms your gonna have to get your new shocks revalved so it's kinda of a double kick in the nuts when you want new shocks but also want wider arms,,you almost have to get them together or get +1 wider arms and you can leave your shocks alone. The rear shock should be OK for ya if your not getting crazy air or anything. My suggestion on the rear shock is send it off to be rebuilt,,cheaper and will work just as good as any aftermarket shock. The type of shock you want is up to money you want to spend,,there all way better than stock so you won't be losing out no matter what ya pic. If ya wanna know more about shocks,,go out to shocconnection.com and read there frequently asked shock questions...really really helpful.

PM me if ya want some more details or got more questions.

Clay
11-26-2001, 05:07 PM
Im with Rico. For the application that you are describing WORKS Triple Rate w/Rezzies sound like the ticket. I race MX with mine and they handle big air with ease. Get a reputable company (Legacy ATV) to rebuild your stock rear shock to their specs and you will be more than happy im sure. Have fun with whatever you do man. And yes, no matter what shock you decide to buy, they will be WAYYY better than stock.

400exRacerX
11-26-2001, 07:40 PM
I also agree, I have Work's triple rates w/rezzies in the front and they have taken everything I have thrown at them yet. They aren't the best aftermarket shock but get the job done great! For what you are using them for that is the shock I would get.

Pepto_Bismol
11-26-2001, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys. What model Works do you all have (steelers, pro, piggy-back ect.)? Do you recommend getting A-arms off the bat or just shocks, and if so, do you have to also get the rear axle of the same length( ie +2 and +2), or can you use stock axel for a while? For example, can one of you suggest a good (resonable) package assembly of components that will all fit well and work together? Thanks in advance! Pep.

11-27-2001, 10:21 AM
I sent ya a PM,,if you can afford a set of pro series with the 5/8 inch shaft,,get them over the regular AT steelers,,,but the price difference is about $350 I think..the steelers will do the job just fine fer ya though..

Stunz
11-27-2001, 10:29 AM
When it comes to the Works Stealers what is the best way to go?
I see them with dual-rate and triple-rate, as well as with or w/o reserviors.

Clay
11-27-2001, 05:55 PM
Well it really depends on what you want, and what youre doing with them.
Dual-Rate: Two springs of different rates or stiffnesses (top will be softer, bottom will be stiff). WIth a dual rate shock, you get alot of improvement over stock. They will perform awesome. They wont ride quite as good as triple rate. They have just as much travel (contrary to popular belief) as a triple rate shock. Dont think because theyre cheaper they're not good.
Triple Rate: YOu get the performance of a dual rate shock, with another rate on top for a soft initial stroke. That means that your ride will be softer on the small stuff than the dual rate. That is really the only advantage of a triple rate shock.
Rezzies: They just help cooling, in turn, helping the performance over time. SO, to me, no matter what the riding, rezzies are a must.

I have the triple rates with rezzies. They are an awesome shock. I couldn't be happier with them. That is really what i would reccomend. Its your call. IM sorry if this post made no sense. I hope i helped in some way. Also, when getting a WORKS shock tell them about 20 pounds more than you are and a skill level thats higher than yours. THat will help ensure overkill on the performance.

Stunz
11-30-2001, 07:41 AM
I'll probable end up not getting the reservoirs because of the extra cost and I will not do any MX type racing. I ride woods, trails and sand-pits.

I have a few months to deside if I'll go D.R. or T.R. and who is going to give me the best price on them.

So far, I think Marcums is going to have the best price...again!

11-30-2001, 08:14 AM
And remember,,,rezzies can be added later.

Pepto_Bismol
11-30-2001, 05:40 PM
Well, with this 115 degree heat we got going on down here in AZ, i'm definately in for rezzies :cool: . crhye250r, what model works do you have, pro-series?Thanks!
Pep;)

Clay
12-01-2001, 12:51 AM
No actually i just have the AT Steelers. I am having them converted to Legacy ATV's Rhino Racing shocks. I need more sag and without some modification they cant give me what i need.