PDA

View Full Version : Wait, Don't Shoot!!

yellowzo3
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Pappy if you have a few seconds I have a few questions about guns and some other stuff...

-What gun do you use?

-How do you check the temperature of the actual part so you know when to start the curing time?

Do you preheat your parts before you coat them?

What do you use to wipe down the parts after blasting?

I was reading up on powder coating and it seems shooting the powder is the easiest step :p ...Getting all the prep stuff and temperature settings right seems to be where the real magic happens. Any help appreciated. Thanks! :cool:

Pappy
03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I use 2 commercial guns, an INSA and a ITW Gema

Depends on the part, most atv and motorcycle parts I have done so many that I know the schedule without having to take any readings

I usually run a batch to full cure temp for 15 minutes then allow to cool completely before coating. With the atv and bike stuff, so much silicone is used in cleaninga nd for maintence that I try everything I can to kill it off before coating. This cycle also does wonders for outgassing as many parts are cast these days

I dont wipe many parts down, some do get a rinse in acetone or MEK depending on what they are and what metal they are constructed of.

Yes, prep is the main thing in any coating or finish work. The bad part with atv and bike parts is that they are rough to begin with so sometimes you can easily spend way more time trying to get a solid surface stucture then what the job pays. Harley guys pay, atv and dirtbike guys wont because they know the part is temporary as compared to a street bike/car that will have a much longer service life.

Hope that helps

yellowzo3
03-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Yes, thanks Pap! Was quite confused at first trying to figure out if a lot of the steps and things are necessary and what guns exist out there that aren't the eastwood special :p ... Thanks again!