PDA

View Full Version : Pics for Colby

protraxrptr17
03-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Here some pics. I kinda like the piston design of this one. I haven't got the fronts yet. Will they be the same? I was going to leave them alone until I get the parts in my hands if I can.

protraxrptr17
03-02-2010, 07:46 AM

protraxrptr17
03-02-2010, 07:47 AM

protraxrptr17
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM

protraxrptr17
03-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure that clear o-ring is right. It fit kinda loose in the seal head and on the shaft. I think the shock was just low on nitrogen. It seemed low when I released it and after thinking about the way it worked, I'm sure that was the problem. Very slow rebound. Bottomed out easy and made a squaling sound. I didn't see anything else wrong other than it leaked.

Mrs. SFRacing
03-03-2010, 11:39 PM
those parts are really old,what does the rerzzie say for a build date? im guessing at least 7 years ago.

protraxrptr17
03-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I think the guy I got this bike from said it was built in '02. How much performance difference between this shock and the new one? I know the new one has the big can and 8 click adjuster, but is there really a big difference? Does the piston look the same? I found some scarring on the shaft, and I don't have time to make a new on right now, so I dug around and found some o-rings that will work temporarily. I didn't want to spend the money on the right ones just to get tore up. I buffed the shaft out with some 600 grit. I think it'll be ok for a little while. (I do this on hydraulic cylinders all the time.) Anyway, it still kinda makes a squaking sound at the reservoir. Any ideas on that?

Mrs. SFRacing
03-04-2010, 10:49 PM
The shape of the comp side of the piston is different, and also the material its made out of and its not anadized

2000ex
03-07-2010, 06:24 AM
That PEP is all Fox parts from the body, sealhead to the piston. PEP has used many different mfg's parts over the years on their shocks. Not sure if they are now doing all their own bodies and internals.

Mrs. SFRacing
03-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 2000ex
That PEP is all Fox parts from the body, sealhead to the piston. PEP has used many different mfg's parts over the years on their shocks. Not sure if they are now doing all their own bodies and internals. Pep uses and manufactures all there own parts im sure that in the 80's there were parts that were used in other peoples shocks but the valving technology was different.The fox parts are completly different from the pep parts except seals in the seal head, the thread pitch on the body is different,the reservoirs are not even close,the valving piston fox uses is flat faced on the compression and rebound side,pep is not, the bumpers are not hollow on the pep shocks and use different material for different applications for the bumper, pep uses billet internal and external spacers,fox uses plastic,pep has a different rebound knob and metoring rod,i have to be real honest with you, the 2 rear shocks share seals and spring diameter and thats it.

2000ex
03-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. SFRacing
Pep uses and manufactures all there own parts im sure that in the 80's there were parts that were used in other peoples shocks but the valving technology was different.The fox parts are completly different from the pep parts except seals in the seal head, the thread pitch on the body is different,the reservoirs are not even close,the valving piston fox uses is flat faced on the compression and rebound side,pep is not, the bumpers are not hollow on the pep shocks and use different material for different applications for the bumper, pep uses billet internal and external spacers,fox uses plastic,pep has a different rebound knob and metoring rod,i have to be real honest with you, the 2 rear shocks share seals and spring diameter and thats it.

I have several PEP shocks from the same timeframe early 2000's that look exactly like the shock pictured and most all parts are fox. The rezzies are the same Showa units used by tcs, works, etc. The complete sealhead, clips, preload collars and sealhead cap are Fox. They are identical. Same with the piston and wearband, and rebound adjuster. I know that PEP does their own valving and spacing internally, however most of the parts used are Fox. I am sure the shocks they are producing now are different.