PDA

View Full Version : which year R to buy????

R-Crazy
01-25-2003, 07:34 AM
I am planning on getting a R at the end of June and wanted to know which year would be best. I plan on buying a new frame for it (LRD Attitude) and sending the motor to LRD to have the whole bottom end re-done and get a powervalve cylinder. what year would have the best baseline platform to start on for MX? thanks in advance.

dave

lil400exman
01-25-2003, 08:50 AM
well alot of people run 88-89 i run 88 but if you are going to do that much work you can get any year imo cause all that was different was the crank....... and with that much work she will be a real screamer it would beat c-dales all day long man................also the plastic was different in 89 it looked like the 400ex's but with one headlight instead of two in the front all older ones had the headlight on the handlebars.........................

killed300ex
01-25-2003, 08:55 AM
well if i were you i would jsut try to buy any one you can get for cheap. cause it sounds like your gonna replace everything. Id buy one and then get some 89 plastic its my favorite r plastic. You should have a sweet r when your done by the sounds of it
kiled

R-Crazy
01-25-2003, 04:30 PM
okay, sounds good. there are a bunch on ebay for CHEAP. i want to have all this work done by next winter.:devil

dave

tants
01-25-2003, 04:33 PM
i would go with an 89 if you could find one...

there the newest, have the updated clutch, and some other beter features.

any year 250r will still be a good decision

mrusk
01-25-2003, 05:24 PM
if your replacing the frame, half the motor, and doing all the other mx mods buy what ever you can get cheaper. If your really replace everything just buy a motor and built the quad from scratch.

Your better off buying a R that is already built. I been seeing some killer deals on built Rs all over the place.

matt

01-25-2003, 05:37 PM
stick with the 89 man.. if not and you find a better on that isnt a 89 then go for it.. just 89 has a couple more better features

racin 400
01-25-2003, 06:03 PM
i like 86 /87 they have the easy removable lights.But 89 have longer swing arms.

QuadTrix6
01-25-2003, 06:12 PM
dont the 86's have a higher gear ratio?

01-25-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 300ex rules
I am planning on getting a R at the end of June and wanted to know which year would be best. I plan on buying a new frame for it (LRD Attitude) and sending the motor to LRD to have the whole bottom end re-done and get a powervalve cylinder. what year would have the best baseline platform to start on for MX? thanks in advance.

dave
if youre gonna build 1 ,
why not just get everything else aftermarket:blah
you will only need things like wire harness bottom end of motor
some brake parts etc. but almost evrything is available aftermarket..