PDA

View Full Version : 89 restoration...problem

BuDDy L
03-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Is there a trick to getting this bolt out, its to the right of The front sprocket and is on top of the swingarm, I can get it out, I disconnected. My shock, heated it, hammered it, and wd40ed it...is it just old and stuck or am I doing something wrong

BuDDy L
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Do I need to upload pictures? Or do you guys know what bolt I'm talking about

Honda 250r 001
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Its a motor mount right?

BuDDy L
03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I believe, its right below the shock, to. The right of my front sprocket, and its holding the swingarm on and letting it. Hang

Honda 250r 001
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
i dont think theres any trick to getting it out. Its aparently seized good. if you remove the swingarm then you should be able to get the motor out, (if thast what your trying to do)

BuDDy L
03-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
i dont think theres any trick to getting it out. Its aparently seized good. if you remove the swingarm then you should be able to get the motor out, (if thast what your trying to do)

yes!, apparantly using wd 40, heating it up with a torch and using a mallet wont get it out so thats why i thought id ask. i jacked up the bottom of the swingarm by the rear axle with a car jack and tried to mallet the bolt out located near the front sprocket, 4 guys, cant get it out, messed up the threads and bent it slightly i believe, most of it is stripped

BuDDy L
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
heres a pic

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9353/250rbolt.jpg

skyeryder
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Looks like you are on the swingarm bolt, if so and it's stuck go get a saws all, good luck....

destey
03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Spray it with PB Blaster, let it sit for a couple of hours/days. It helps sometimes if you do some sharp blows to the nut. Put a socket on it, smaller than should fit.

Or heat with oxy-acetylene torch.

I see you have an assistant holding the wrench, maybe brace the wrench against the frame somewhere? You can also put a pipe on the end of the ratchet for leverage. Be careful though most likely if you put too much torque on the nut, it will just twist off the head of the bolt or snap the bolt off down by the nut. With a long lever you can put much more force on the bolt than the metal can handle.

Also you'll want to use a 6 point socket and wrench to avoid rounding the bolt/nut off.

BuDDy L
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Tjanks for the tips, ya there was 4 people, one torching. One spraying, and. One hammering, she wasn't nudging, I only. Got maybe an inch to two inches of movement, will try pb blaster

destey
03-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by BuDDy L
Tjanks for the tips, ya there was 4 people, one torching. One spraying, and. One hammering, she wasn't nudging, I only. Got maybe an inch to two inches of movement, will try pb blaster

I wouldn't spray it and heat it in the same try. If the pb doesn't work, i'd hit it with some brake cleaner to get the PB off so it doesn't ignite when you hit it with the torch.

The PB works wonders. Longer you leave it on there the better it works. When I do tie rods on my car, I spray it a week or two ahead of time and they come right off. Minimum I'd let it sit would be an hour or two. Keep spraying it every 20 minutes or so to help it along