PDA

View Full Version : New DWT Racing Mini Tires!!

raidernut
03-01-2010, 10:47 PM
After a long wait, the new DWT Mini Quad Racing tires are about 3 weeks out. Buddy Williams tested them last weekend at WORCS round 2, with great results. The track was a rough, soft, sandy 5 mile loop, and Buddy's bike was unstoppable running these tires. The first version to be released are a GNCC/WORCS style that are a bit taller to get the bike out of the ruts. They are narrow, and dig down in soft terrain and flat hook up! These should also work great on soft sandy mx tracks like in Florida, etc. The rears are 18x6x8, and the matching fronts are 19x6x10. We have never run a tire that worked this well in these type of conditions. The tires mounted on DWT's new G2 jr rolled wheels are super light weight and strong.
They will be developing another version for hardpack mx track applications next.

etccb
03-02-2010, 02:32 AM
More photos please.

Coley'sdad#8
03-02-2010, 06:53 AM
sweet, glad there are going to be more options.
what is the weight of the tire?
what ply?
what is weight of wheel?

raidernut
03-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I will get some weights this weekend on the wheel, but right now they have an extra 5 pounds of mud on them:( What is the best site to shrink down photos to post. I have some more, but am having a hard time getting them to post at a size that you can see well?

skyeryder
03-02-2010, 07:06 AM
they had a set at the dealer show looked like a very nice tire. we have had troubles with the cross's sliding out in the corners, I don't think that'll be a issue with these.

riding4fun
03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
I will get some weights this weekend on the wheel, but right now they have an extra 5 pounds of mud on them:( What is the best site to shrink down photos to post. I have some more, but am having a hard time getting them to post at a size that you can see well?

I always shrink mine down before I send them to photobuckey.
I just use my paint shop pro. Just about any photo editing software should do the trick to re size.

By the way, Buddy was absolutely flying this weekend. Wow

raidernut
03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks Darrell, Buddy is tough to catch when you get out in the desert, definately much better at that than Motocross. I dont have any type of software on my computer that will work, is there any program on the net that i can shrink them down with? The photos i am pulling off my camera are huge, like 3.2 mb

raidernut
03-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by skyeryder
they had a set at the dealer show looked like a very nice tire. we have had troubles with the cross's sliding out in the corners, I don't think that'll be a issue with these.

Yes, the set you saw at the dealer show were the set that we raced with. The directional tread pattern is pretty aggressive. Definately had tons more bite than the maxxis rzr cross.

#404's Dad
03-02-2010, 08:24 AM
You are welcome to send me the pics Mark and I will reduce them for ya.

These tires looked badass at the Dealer Show a few weeks ago, should be a killer combination on their Jr Champ In A Box wheel set!!

#404's Dad
03-02-2010, 08:27 AM
If I was told correctly, the Set at the Show were Heavier than what the Production ones will be?

raidernut
03-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks Corey. PM me your email address. Ya these tires are a definate step in the right direction. We know they work well in the loose stuff, so going to test them this weekend on some hard pack. My gut feeling tells me they may not work as well there, but who knows.
The people designing the tires are willing to accept input from us for a design of a MX specific tire. I gave them some ideas, but tell me what you guys think, so i can pass along the information.
What i thought would be the ticket, is the same tread design, but a tire that is about an inch wider than these, or an inch wider than a sno hog, and about an inch shorter than these, or one inch taller than the sno hog. Something with an actual measurement of about 17 tall and 7 wide. A sno hog measures like 16.5 tall and 6.5 wide. What do you guys think about that?
Let me know so they can get a mold going.

raidernut
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
If I was told correctly, the Set at the Show were Heavier than what the Production ones will be?

I remember them saying something about the knob heighth. Maybe these knobs are taller than the production ones. I will try to weigh a tire mounted on their new wheel this weekend.

#404's Dad
03-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I remember them saying something about the knob heighth. Maybe these knobs are taller than the production ones. I will try to weigh a tire mounted on their new wheel this weekend.

What Glenn told me was they were more plies at the show and the productions would be, I think those were 4 and the prods will be 2, dont hold me to it but I think that is what was said?

kfx450
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
you can go to easy thumbnails and download free software for shrinking pics. I have been using it for years and it works great.

QuadJunkies
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I watched those tires perform and they are an excellent choice I must say. Buddy was hookin up nicely! I was very impressed with what I saw.

We have liked the Goldspeeds and the DWT tires alot. The only thing is the compound wear very fast on hard pack,we found them to perform well in soft.We have one set of tires that feel like chewing gum they are so soft. lol
We like the 20's they offer as its abit more narrow and corner nicely. We have included it in an artcile we done recently-love what DWT has done this year! We have a few sets,cant remember which ones he ran this wk end but I know even the harder ones wear abit quicker. We will def. order the hardest for our next set.

I think the minis will most definately LOVE this tire wheel combo. IF my Son was still on his mini, hands down we would be running these tires. They will be a huge success.

As for software, you can get a free resizing program for free called Magic Image Resizer. Its quick and easy to use . Just set it at 640 to start and you should fit fine here on the site .You can resize batches at once. That what I use .

raidernut
03-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
What Glenn told me was they were more plies at the show and the productions would be, I think those were 4 and the prods will be 2, dont hold me to it but I think that is what was said?

Corey i dont really know, i thought they told me they were two ply. Any how as light as they are right now, if they are going to be even lighter then all i can say is WOW!

raidernut
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I watched those tires perform and they are an excellent choice I must say. Buddy was hookin up nicely! I was very impressed with what I saw.

We have liked the Goldspeeds and the DWT tires alot. The only thing is the compound wear very fast on hard pack,we found them to perform well in soft.We have one set of tires that feel like chewing gum they are so soft. lol
We like the 20's they offer as its abit more narrow and corner nicely. We have included it in an artcile we done recently-love what DWT has done this year! We have a few sets,cant remember which ones he ran this wk end but I know even the harder ones wear abit quicker. We will def. order the hardest for our next set.

I think the minis will most definately LOVE this tire wheel combo. IF my Son was still on his mini, hands down we would be running these tires. They will be a huge success.

As for software, you can get a free resizing program for free called Magic Image Resizer. Its quick and easy to use . Just set it at 640 to start and you should fit fine here on the site .You can resize batches at once. That what I use .

Thanks Tina i will get some more pics posted up tonight

raidernut
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
mounted on our 90

QuadJunkies
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I only have it in action so the tires are slowed down abit .lol

http://upload.pbase.com/image/122422288/original.jpg

thequadfather+2
03-02-2010, 11:17 AM

go to the picture while its in a file format (before opening it). Right click on it and select "open with". You should see "Microsoft office picture manager". Click on it and the picture will open. You will sse "edit picture" at the top, click it. A side menu will open, Click "resize" then click "predefined width + height" and then click "web small". Now go down to the bottom and click "OK" and then the picture will change size, if you are satisfied click "save" up on the top and you are done, the picture will be ready to send.

I know that sounds like a bunch of stuff but after you do it a couple times it's easy. Of course this only applies if your computer is equipped with Microsoft office picture manager and most computers that have Microsoft office will have it.

QuadJunkies
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
go to the picture while its in a file format (before opening it). Right click on it and select "open with". You should see "Microsoft office picture manager". Click on it and the picture will open. You will sse "edit picture" at the top, click it. A side menu will open, Click "resize" then click "predefined width + height" and then click "web small". Now go down to the bottom and click "OK" and then the picture will change size, if you are satisfied click "save" up on the top and you are done, the picture will be ready to send.

I know that sounds like a bunch of stuff but after you do it a couple times it's easy. Of course this only applies if your computer is equipped with Microsoft office picture manager and most computers that have Microsoft office will have it.
When you have some free time, try that program I suggested. You can batch hundreads of photos to resize at once . Takes ALOT less time and no processes to use ,just highlight all the images and go. Thats what I use for the Race Coverage galleries here.

skyeryder
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I like the idea of 17" tall rear tire, we are still running a 70cc so not for sure I want the width yet??? need all the horses I can get....

raidernut
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
keep the ideas coming guys, because this is the first opportunity we have all had to get a true race tire for these bikes, and not just something a tire company came up with on a whim. Need ideas asap, as they are ready to pull the trigger on a mold. Need input on overall size, and footprint or tread pattern. They can even hybrid a tread pattern from two different tires. I like the tread pattern myself on the tires they have now, just think they need to be a little wider and shorter for mx hard pack applications.

QuadJunkies
03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Mark, I think your dead on with the design and size.

greenmachine70
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
looks very similiar to the carlisle x-trac tires.
They only make them in 16/6.50x8 and smaller though.

raidernut
03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
actually like a scaled down kenda klaw

greenmachine70
03-02-2010, 04:42 PM
IMHO I would love to see an 18/7-8 mx tire for the minis that run in the 90-100 classes. It would need to be 2ply and weigh under 8lbs. i think that is possible.
My friends run the quad cross and they are winning races on stock appearing 100's, some are trying the m940 and doing the same.
The razr cross is the perfect heighth but needs to last longer and have deeper knobbys.
I would love to see a 7" tread width on a razr cross or quad cross tire in 2ply. I think it would be the ultimate for the bigger motors.

raidernut
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Here are some better pics of tires

raidernut
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM

hwf-racing
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
It's been a couple of weeks any new time line when these tires will be released. The compound on the goldspeed is awsome very soft= great bite. Can't wait to get mine!!!!!

cole shake 32
03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I think a 17x8x8 or a 16.5 by 8 so it doesn't change ride height and is wider

zach R 7x
03-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by cole shake 32
I think a 17x8x8 or a 16.5 by 8 so it doesn't change ride height and is wider

I agree with Shake on the tire sizes. i ran the razers for a while and put the snow hogs back on and Zach said the bike really handled better for him. we ran the rasr's for frame height when we were running the Z-BOZ suspension but with the SMS sus. we do not have that problem. but i would like to see something a little wider.

greenmachine70
03-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by hwf-racing
It's been a couple of weeks any new time line when these tires will be released. The compound on the goldspeed is awsome very soft= great bite. Can't wait to get mine!!!!!
IMHO, Derek, these would just dig down at DC. I dont see a holeshot on these tires in sandy Florida tracks. Maybe on some hardpack but not at DC. Just my .02
It is great the DWT is getting into the biz though. All the companies who dont are missing the boat.

TTracer#22
03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I think you will be very surprised at how good these tires work in the sand.

Coley'sdad#8
03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
greenmachine,
thats how I used to get holeshots @ dade city, we were running 18-11-8 turf tamers on the 250's and they would just move all the loose dirt on the top of the ground.
did some testing and went to 18-8-8 turf's and they would dig down and get to good solid dirt and rocket you out of the gate and turns and I was about 155# running against guy's that were much bigger than me, traction was my problem with no weight.

I think a good mini tire size would be like Cole say's the 17-8-8
or a 17-7.5-8 with around a T-20 compound 2 ply.
T-20 is a good all around and with limited tire selection this would be multi purpose.
and the additional 1/2" could be easily adjusted out in your ride height.

raidernut
03-22-2010, 08:18 AM
We have had nearly every holeshot with these tires in the sand, NEVER had a tire hook up as well in sand period.

hwf-racing
03-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
IMHO, Derek, these would just dig down at DC. I dont see a holeshot on these tires in sandy Florida tracks. Maybe on some hardpack but not at DC. Just my .02
It is great the DWT is getting into the biz though. All the companies who dont are missing the boat. I def want to run the dwt's on the front and have the rears for switching between the quadcross and dwt's you know how in the summer the track gets real dry, then we have a thnderstorm and were in the mud so, trying to get the best of both IMHO. See you Saturday, cant wait to see Colby's new engine. Derek

miniquaddad90
03-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Any word on when these will be available to the public?

raidernut
03-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Are you talking about the ones they have already designed or the mx ones in the future?

miniquaddad90
03-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Are you talking about the ones they have already designed or the mx ones in the future?

The MX ones on the 1st page of this thread or possibly some taller rears like a 19" or a true 18" rear

raidernut
03-23-2010, 09:28 AM
The ones in the beginning are true 18's, and will be available within 2 weeks. i would call dwt and get your name down, as they are going to go quick!

raidernut
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Ok guys the DWT V1 mini race tires should be ready to ship any day.

After the initial testing Buddy did on the pre-production Indy show set, some significant changes were made . They changed the cord angle in the carcass, which resulted in a flatter profile, and they ended up being wider and shorter than the original ones we tested. All i can say is im very excited about the new design. The weight is ridiculously light for this aggressive of tire. I weighed one each on the exact same rim, a itp quadcross, a maxxis rzr cross, and a sno-hog, and DWT V1. The DWT V1 setup was over 2.5lbs lighter than the itp, 1 lb lighter than the maxxis rzr cross, and slightly lighter than the sno-hawg. The directional tread pattern hooks up better than any tire we have ever tried.

Another version is also in production for hard-pack MX applications, that is 1" wider, and 1" shorter than this version. There will also be a matching front modeled off of Chad Wienens front tires, with a less aggressive tread pattern than the V1's. They should be about 40 days out.

Here are the pics of the new v1 rear tires, and the matching front.

raidernut
04-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Tread Pattern

raidernut
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
DWT V1 Matching Front Tire 19x6x10

QuadJunkies
04-12-2010, 09:02 PM
That is such a SICK tire ... :huh :eek: :eek2: :devil:
Mad props ,its about damn time these kids get a tire designed for there needs !

Logan #34's Dad
04-13-2010, 04:43 AM
I hope everyone runs out like the cattle to slaughter and buys these up. See ya all at the finish line. Go MAXXIS........... LOL :devil:

Coley'sdad#8
04-13-2010, 05:06 AM
so what is the final ACTUAL size of the rears??????

raidernut
04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
so what is the final ACTUAL size of the rears??????

7" wide, 17 1/4" tall.

raidernut
04-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
I hope everyone runs out like the cattle to slaughter and buys these up. See ya all at the finish line. Go MAXXIS........... LOL :devil:

Im the opposite rock, i hope nobody buys them, and we get to line up against everyone else running a balloon maxxis tire that was designed 10 years ago for a stock 5 hp eton, or better yet a sno blower tire.......LOL:devil:

bignasty
04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

thequadfather+2
04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey I run a snow blower tire and it wouldnt be the first time I ran with the herd straight to slaughter......:D

You guys are too funny, all these polite jabs are killing me and some how I knew that was coming.

I would like to try them.

raidernut
04-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
Hey I run a snow blower tire and it wouldnt be the first time I ran with the herd straight to slaughter......:D

You guys are too funny, all these polite jabs are killing me and some how I knew that was coming.

I would like to try them.

We ran the old snow blowers for years, but that was before we had a choice. Give them a try, they are going to change the game.

QuadJunkies
04-14-2010, 12:47 AM
We ran the old snow blowers for years, but that was before we had a choice. Give them a try, they are going to change the game.

And thats just it -CHOICES !!
Something we havent had until recent years . These kids are riding and racing as hard, if not HARDER than alot of adults on 450's ! :p
Having a tire designed for its proper application is so awesome . Even though we dont own one anymore, I am glad to see this .

zach R 7x
04-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Mark,the rear tires in the picture look like the same width as the razr's,are they the same? nice looking tire,but i would like to get something wider. my son weights about 110lbs, so the snow hogs work pretty well for us ,as he can get his weight back on the tires and make them bite.
we tried the razrs (actually have 2 sets of rears if anybody wants to buy them),just to tall,and not wide enough. inmo, just not worth the money over the snow hogs.

Tim

hasbeenttduner
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
It is great to have a player in the mini tire game that is really wanting to put in the time and effort to develop a great tire.
I have a question for all of you race dads. If you look at the full size 450's which have the most r&d into tire development they use a 10" front wheel, not a 11 or 12. Why doesn't someone like DWT try out a "9" front for the mini's? To scale you would be looking at 8 fronts 7 rears but the mini's have to go through the same holes and ruts as the big quads. It would just be interesting to see a good race front tire made in a 19x6x9 which might be simular in overall performance to a 20x6x10. Maybe it's not worth it but it's a thought.

Arctic Cat Dad
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
They do look like the Kenda Klaw's. We just bought a set of Kenda Kutters XC for the 300. He had his first race on it, it was a complete rain out and the mud was the worst I've ever seen. He was passing 450's like nothing on the hill climbs and where ever he wanted. The first words out of his mouth after the race were these are the best tires I've ever had. Don't ever buy anything else. That design is awesome in mud and even hard packed. I hope the rubber is soft to dig in the hard stuff,

Glad to see some new stuff for the mini's. To bad were were done with mini's.

raidernut
04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by zach R 7x
Mark,the rear tires in the picture look like the same width as the razr's,are they the same? nice looking tire,but i would like to get something wider. my son weights about 110lbs, so the snow hogs work pretty well for us ,as he can get his weight back on the tires and make them bite.
we tried the razrs (actually have 2 sets of rears if anybody wants to buy them),just to tall,and not wide enough. inmo, just not worth the money over the snow hogs.

Tim

About the same width as the razr's, but about 1/2" shorter and a way meaner tread.

raidernut
04-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
They do look like the Kenda Klaw's. We just bought a set of Kenda Kutters XC for the 300. He had his first race on it, it was a complete rain out and the mud was the worst I've ever seen. He was passing 450's like nothing on the hill climbs and where ever he wanted. The first words out of his mouth after the race were these are the best tires I've ever had. Don't ever buy anything else. That design is awesome in mud and even hard packed. I hope the rubber is soft to dig in the hard stuff,

Glad to see some new stuff for the mini's. To bad were were done with mini's.

the knobbys are real similar to the kenda klaws's and the rubber is pretty soft. Your right they hook up like crazy!!

greenmachine70
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
My sponsor is a DWT dealer direct and they are telling him the tires are not available yet???????
I thought they were??

TTracer#22
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
We were lucky enough to get to test a set this weekend and these tires work awesome the should be out to the public very soon.

greenmachine70
05-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Boy was I WRONG about these tires. They are the best traction tire we have EVER ran. Actually due to some new clay on the track I think they actually hook up too good(if thats possible).
I wish we had the sandy track back, I think it would easily give us an edge over the quad cross, snow hogs or m940's.
These tires are INSANE!!!!!!
And yes crow does taste like chicken, just blackened;)

raidernut
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
You didnt think id lie to ya did you?:p Im just mad they are available to the public now, and our 3 months of tire advantage over the field is history:macho

ccdhowell
05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Anybody actually bought a set of these yet? I've been all over the net and can't find a set to buy. Anybody know who has them?

selbygirl
05-27-2010, 09:02 PM
hay if you find a set let me no i have called dwt and emailed them and we have a sponsership with them

raidernut
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Did you call DWT, i know they have a bunch of them. How about Gary Fallon at 'G force he may have them too.

121dad
05-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Have 3 sets got them from DWT direct

JIM GRACE
06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
We ran these tires on sand and a loose Mx track
and really liked them. My son said he was
suprised in the turns it didn't slide like our
940's do. Two thumbs up

FISH ON!
06-14-2010, 04:28 PM
would like to try them but can't find them !!! I give up. Guess we'll stick with the good ole hogs........... Gary doesn't have any right now.

JIM GRACE
06-14-2010, 05:13 PM
DWT sent and billed me for two sets. on set is going back for a refund. ($120.00 shipped) fyi

dericsdad
06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
We got the new DWT rear tires mounted on new G2 jr Rims from DWT at our first national this weekend. They worked awesome! These things really hook up! Deric wheelied both starts on sunday! Too bad we don't have one of those built Malossi or 2-fast motors to really see what these tires can do:D .

dericsdad
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks DWT and everyone else who helped us out at our first national last weekend! We really had a lot of fun. You guy's that run the nationals all the time have some really fast bikes!!!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zg66x5.jpg

hotquads1
06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
what size wheel (width) are guys running with the tires ?

raidernut
06-24-2010, 09:31 AM
8x6

dericsdad
06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Marc, we are running the 8x7 DWT Wheel.

hotquads1
06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
the 8x7 seems like it may put a bit more tire to the ground , that was my thought , do they hook up your big motors Dan ?

raidernut
06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
i put the tires on the heavier 8x7, and since DWT change the cord angle in the tire, the profile was almost the exactly the same as when we put them on the 8x6, so no need for the added weight of the wider rim. DWT sent us some new wheels to test this week that are 8x6, and about 8 0z lighter than the previous rolled lip wheels. And as far as hooking up with big motors, you almost have to sit on the gas tank.

dericsdad
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
They hook up really good Marc!!! Even with his National legal motor Deric was pulling wheelies on the starts in Millville!:D

RCR_531
06-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Just ordered a DWT Box set today. Can't wait for them to come in and get the new tires mounted.

tyler70t
06-26-2010, 03:58 AM
A good friend of mine has these and his son says they hook up great!! Is the MX version of these tires out yet, I hear they will be 1" wider?:confused:

JIM GRACE
06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Jeff, I talked to dwt on Friday about returning
the extra set they sent me. No update on the
Mx version yet but I'm sure raidernut is in the
loop

raidernut
06-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I will find out the status on Monday. We are testing new wheels again. DWT found a way to lose 6 ounces a wheel without sacraficing strength, so we are testing those now.

mcwilly
06-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I will find out the status on Monday.

:devil:

raidernut
06-30-2010, 09:24 AM
havent arrived yet, i know they had thousands of sets of the first version, and they are out until July 7th:devil:

thequadfather+2
06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
"I hope everyone runs out like the cattle to slaughter and buys these up. See ya all at the finish line. Go MAXXIS........... LOL" :devil:

hhhmmm, thousands of sets.....Here comes the cattle:D

I'm gonna give the mx version a shot if they decide to sale them within the next two years.

raidernut
06-30-2010, 04:46 PM
until i saw how this process worked first hand i would of assumed they were dragging their feet. The new owner of DWT is race oriented and also owns the Motoworks Canam race team. He is not going to release a product until it is tested and he knows its right. They made several changes to the first DWT V1 tires before they went for sale. Believe me it is a good thing because they got much better than the early protos we first tested. Be patient they will be out soon. We should have some to test this month.

ccdhowell
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
So what's the long term feedback on these tires? The V1 version? I need to put a new set of tires on my daughters modded Raptor 90 and thought these might be a good choice, opinions? Advice?

How long do these last? How well do the fronts steer in loose XC situations?

#404's Dad
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
No experience w the XC version but quite a bit w the MX ones, soft, perfectly proportioned for the mini quads, plenty of traction in corners and plenty of forward bite to holeshot even in loose dirt and sand, wear down quick on hard packed stuff though, pretty good tires in my opinion.

skyeryder
04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
My son loves his xc ones, his only complaint was that they didn't slide out as easy in the corners as the sno-hogs or maxxis cross's, but he adjusted alittle and loves them...

FISH ON!
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I've been wanting to try the DWT tires for a while now. First I couldn't get them, then I had this experience........... raced the MX nats and took the snowpigs on DWT rims to the DWT trailer and told the DWT rep I wanted to buy a set of their tires. We were excited we might finally try the much talked about tire. The gentlemen politely informed me that he couldn't gaurantee he wouldn't bend the rim while mounting the tire. Since it was their rim I figured if that happened they would replace it, well not so and I didn't get the tires. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. We primarily run GNCC and you cant get DWT tires at those events, so we continue to stick with our Maxxis tires! I will give DWT kudos for trying to provide a true mini race tire but they need to work on the sale and distribution piece.

Coley'sdad#8
04-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Thats an odd story, I always use a manual bead breaker, tire tools ect and have NEVER bent a wheel while breaking down or mounting. I guess when you get those high dolla hydraulic breaker / mounting machines is when ya get into trouble.

#404's Dad
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Were they the old NON Rolled Lip wheels or the Blue Label .125's, The .125's bend pretty easy, have seen many bend those over the years

raidernut
04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by #404's Dad
Were they the old NON Rolled Lip wheels or the Blue Label .125's, The .125's bend pretty easy, have seen many bend those over the years

my thoughts exactly, those old dwt rims are almost impossible not to bend, and the new ones never bend, even when hitting large boulders.

FISH ON!
04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by #404's Dad

Yes they were the non-rolled .125's. The only other rims I have are 8x7 and 8x8 beadlocks we use for GNCC with Maxiss 940s. Didn't want to invest in more rims just to try the DWTs. Just thought it was strange because Big Daddy with ITP never bent them installing the snowpigs.

From a marketing stand point, you have one of the best youth woods riders that runs all the GNCCs and a few MX nationals willing to pay list price to run their product and they didn't put us on a set of their tires? ??? Needless to say I was disappointed.

ccdhowell
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Too bad you didn't get to try them, I'd like to have a comparison to the Maxxis 940, that's what's on my little Raptor now.

Anyway, there is a seller on ebay that has them for a decent price so I went ahead and ordered them. Hope this gets my little girl closer to the front runners. She mainly had trouble with the little stock front tires washing out in the turns. These will definitely be an upgrade in that department.

I'll post a pic up and impressions when I get them on and after a race or two.

Thanks guys for all your comments.

FISH ON!
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ccdhowell
Too bad you didn't get to try them, I'd like to have a comparison to the Maxxis 940, that's what's on my little Raptor now.

Anyway, there is a seller on ebay that has them for a decent price so I went ahead and ordered them. Hope this gets my little girl closer to the front runners. She mainly had trouble with the little stock front tires washing out in the turns. These will definitely be an upgrade in that department.

I'll post a pic up and impressions when I get them on and after a race or two.

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Please let me know how they compare in height in addition to performance when compared against the 940s. Thanks.

ccdhowell
04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Will do.

edwardsp&b
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Hey Carolina boy,
Just come cross the river and you can borrow Ben's anytime. I have two sets mounted. One is on the old Drr that we are not running anymore on the rolled edge wheels. You can come and borrow them anytime. We also have a set mounted on the rpm beadlocks on the cobra mod. Needless to say they are the best tires Ive seen. Just remember when setting pressure these arent the snowhogs of old, run more air and you will get better results. Ben loved them instantly when I bolted them on.

Give me a shout when yall arent running around in the woods, we need to get together. We went to D.P. last weekend, raced and rode trails in the rzr. We had some fun. Load up the Rzr and the quads and lets go ride.
Bryan

FISH ON!
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I'll take you up on that Bryan if I ever stay home one weekend. If I get the airbox done on the shifter we'll be running it Sunday in a woods race up state. You bought the RZR ?? Saaaweet ! Got some repair work to do on the Raptor too....... it met a tree last week. Take care.

ccdhowell
04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Left to right: Kenda Kutter XC 18x8-8; DWT Jr XC 18x6-8; Maxxis 940 18x8-8.
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/ccdhowell/IMG_8770.jpg

The Kutter's are definitely taller and hook up really well on my Raptor 125. Haven't ran the DWT's yet but they sure are skinny and a little shorter than I wanted them to be.

miniquaddad90
04-21-2011, 02:08 PM

The Kutter's are definitely taller and hook up really well on my Raptor 125. Haven't ran the DWT's yet but they sure are skinny and a little shorter than I wanted them to be.

Thanks for posting! Are the 940's and the Kendas both on 8X8 wheels?

ccdhowell
04-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by miniquaddad90
Thanks for posting! Are the 940's and the Kendas both on 8X8 wheels?

Yes, and the Jr XCs are on 8x6 DWTs.

FISH ON!
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Thanks for posting that PIC !..... that is the exact comparison I was looking for. I think you just saved me some money. I like the size of the Kenda's. I heard they are a little heavy but that isn't as big a deal in XC. I think we're gonna give those a try.

ccdhowell
04-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Glad to help. Report back on what you think of the Kendas, we like them so far, on the 125 anyway, didn't want to burden the little 90 with the weight. You are right, they are on the heavy side.

fastflame1
04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Just got new dwt mx rear tires. They weigh 2 lbs more per tire than snow hogs. Might not be a big deal on a 90, but for a 50 that's big.
Wish I would have know that before I bought.
Just never would have guessed 2 lbs a tire.

raidernut
04-26-2011, 04:19 PM
what you lose in a little weight, you will gain in traction and handling. Sno hogs are junk.

JIM GRACE
04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
you are not the first dad to lift one up and realize that. shipped a
set to a member on here and with alluminim rims they tipped
the scale at 28 pounds! The xc version i shipped on rims were alot less.
:p

fastflame1
04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Have a hard time believing I'm going to gain that much more traction, vs weight gain and loss of hp.
Guess we will see if we ever dry out and he can practice before illinois.

raidernut
04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
dont get too caught up in the weight vs this and that. worry about the results. read the reviews from people who are using them. If you cant turn this tire over, you might need to find some more horsepower. We are turning them over with amazing results. Every rider on the podium last weekend was running either the v1 xc or the v2 mx models.

srxmiller
04-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Our old school short rod metrakit 70 turns them ok.
I think their a darn good tire. Nice job DWT, and thanks for sponsoring us.

fastflame1
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Can't do anything else about getting more hp, 50 limited. I'm still going to give the tires a chance. Worse case, I'll put them on his xc quad.

chunky0071
04-27-2011, 10:03 AM
is it just me or does the kenda kutter XC and the DWT mx look the same just asking don't look at the size just the tread?

ccdhowell
04-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I have both, they're the same tread.

raidernut
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
same tread, stickier compound. We are going to be testing another version in the next few weeks with a completely different compound, similar to what Natalie and Wienen are currently running in the ATVA, will let you know the results.

JIM GRACE
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by fastflame1
Can't do anything else about getting more hp, 50 limited. I'm still going to give the tires a chance. Worse case, I'll put them on his xc quad.

on our 50 stock drr we ran shredder r/t tires and they hooked great and lasted forever compared to the sno hogs. i think g-force was the last website i saw them on.

nitrofish
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Loved the shredders aka ground buster R/As. They are a little bigger and lighter than sno-hogs. Discontinued and hard to find. If anyone has a set, I'm interested!

Rich243
05-01-2011, 05:16 PM
2nd day on the new DWT MX rear tires. Corner speed is faster, corner exit speed is much better and still able to slide enough. Very impressed so far. Andrew likes them and we can see the difference.