PDA

View Full Version : clutch kit for 85-86?

rodelikestole
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
does anyone make new steel plates? all i can find is the 6 fibers from a company i've never heard of. i'll reuse the steel it just doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do cause i'm going to do alot of second gear drops. i want to find stiffer springs aswell but i don't know if any one makes parts for the earlier ones?

jerkin
03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-86-Suzuki-LT250R-BARNETT-clutch-kit-KEVLAR-LT250-LT/220551493005

rodelikestole
03-02-2010, 12:18 PM
i seen kits for the newer years that are $50 for all the plates and springs, trying to find a replacement in between 50 and 100 bucks for all new but i don't think its gonna happen.

jerkin
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Those kits from tusk and companies like that are junk, I wouldn't put them in any kind of performance machine. Most of them have aluminum plates also. You said you are going to be doing a lot of 2nd gear drops then you need a good clutch. Don't skimp on the important stuff, it will come back to bite you in the end.

rodelikestole
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
thanks j will do, i'm replacing crank bearings anyway so i'll just leave that side off until i can get the better clutch and then i'll finish buttoning it backup

jerkin
03-02-2010, 04:05 PM
If you're doing a rebuild make sure to use the billet washers on the wristpin. I had a set of the stockers let loose on me once and it's not pretty. Trashed the cylinder and the head. Cost me several hundred dollars for a new sleeve, head and the machine work. Here's a link to a guy on ebay that sells them, you need a different wristpin bearing also that he sells but it's just one off a 99 rm250 if you want to get it local. it's a little shorter to make up for the washers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLET-thrust-washers-LT250R-Quadracer-LT500-Quadzilla_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9e970ae9QQi temZ320488278761QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories

This setup will cost you a little more up front but believe me, you don't want those washers breaking and they do all the time. I've seen other pictures where a piece fell down in the crankcase and busted a hole in the case when the crank came around and hit it. You get those couple things done and you should have a good, reliable machine.

One other thing to check, though it's not engine related, is the pinch bolts that hold the lower ball joints to the spindle. Pull them out of each side and if there is a notch beginning to wear in them it's time to replace them. It's a stupid design but the only ones I've seen fall out had wear on the bolts. You can get seriously jacked up if that a-arm drops at 60mph. I've had 3 lt250r's over the years and those are the only 2 major problems I've had with any of them.

rodelikestole
03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
thats what i did to the top, i took the stator cover off and didn't get any movement out of those bearings so i thought the bottom was good. seems thinking isn't working out for me lately :D

i'm going to pick up the rolling chassis 2nite will check on them pinch bolts