PDA

View Full Version : Are we getting robbed??Maxxis 6 ply owners..

QuadJunkies
01-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Ok, now have any of you heard of this:huh ... Went into the local tire shop the other day to mount the new Raxr 6ply tires, the guy who mounted them(the mgr) told us that they were a 4ply tire ,not a 6ply, :huh :confused: ........if you look at the sidewall of the tire,where it says "6ply", the tires still had half of a strip of rubber over the 6 ply rating, that said "4 ply" on it!!:eek: have any of you noticed this on your tires?? Ill take a pic and show you all tomorrow...The tire shop said this is common practice for companys who sell a 6 ply rated tire!! Are we getting robbed??

01-25-2003, 01:18 AM
Are we getting robbed??

I have to admit I am very suprised when someone in this industry doesnt try a fast one. :grr

The BS story for the ply issue is that its not how many actuall plies in the tire but rather they rate the compareble strength of their product.

And yes the price of the razr 2 is a joke 4ply or 6ply.

Just MHO

Predator36
01-25-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

The BS story for the ply issue is that its not how many actuall plies in the tire but rather they rate the compareble strength of their product.

I ran into that on a trailer tire issue and was informed by the Goodyear tire rep that the # of ply rating is just that. It is only a rating and not an actual number of plys. However there are strict criteria that must be met for each rating. Also differant ply rating tires may be made in the same mold due to the cost of the mold and some molds have the ply rating in them so it needs to be changed on the tire after it is molded.

It would be interesting to hear Maxxis's response on this issue.

Extremeracer167
01-25-2003, 07:24 AM
well if u have a razr 4 ply in one hand, and a razr 6 ply in the other, u can tell there is a differance. So just try it out, b4 u come to any assumptions. I know the tires i have here there is a noticeable differance in the sidewallls

Live2Ride300
01-25-2003, 08:53 AM
My friend had razr 6plys on his 400, and I got some razr 4plys for my 300. You can deffinatly tell the difference in sidewalls, the 6plys were very heavy duty, and alot stiffer then the 4plys.

QuadJunkies
01-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
well if u have a razr 4 ply in one hand, and a razr 6 ply in the other, u can tell there is a differance. So just try it out, b4 u come to any assumptions. I know the tires i have here there is a noticeable differance in the sidewallls Im NOt knocking the tires, he loves the tires and so do I,(especailly the fronts):blah ... My point was, why would they notch out the 4ply marking, and put a 6 ply marking on a 4 ply tire???:confused: THis seems very wrong to me...ans being charged a 6 ply price?? Doesnt this make you just a lil curoious?? Good to know that the sidewall is very durable,this is the main reason we switched.....;)

QuadJunkies
01-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Predator36
I ran into that on a trailer tire issue and was informed by the Goodyear tire rep that the # of ply rating is just that. It is only a rating and not an actual number of plys. However there are strict criteria that must be met for each rating. Also differant ply rating tires may be made in the same mold due to the cost of the mold and some molds have the ply rating in them so it needs to be changed on the tire after it is molded.

It would be interesting to hear Maxxis's response on this issue. Thanks for clearing this up for me... Makes me feel a lil better hearing this.. There for a minute, I was a lilttle mad about this,but if a tire CO. still feels this is an issue, still makes me wonder a bit..:confused: These tire Co. should take things like this in to consideration "expense or not", this makes the consumer question what they are REALLY buying....they are still making a TON of money off us riders...;)

02 Red Rider
01-25-2003, 09:17 AM
:huh I went out and looked at my 22s and there is a clearly marked 6ply rating. It doesn't look to me like something that could be changed on mine. Got a pic of the marking on the tire QJ?

QuadJunkies
01-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by 02 Red Rider
:huh I went out and looked at my 22s and there is a clearly marked 6ply rating. It doesn't look to me like something that could be changed on mine. Got a pic of the marking on the tire QJ? WEll I guess taking the pic wont do much good, because the tire guy tore it off when showing it ,but they said what they do is they makr it "6 ply" underneath and out the "4ply" over the top, then when the people order the tire, they just tear off the top layer if they wanted 6ply, or leave it if they ordered 4 ply:huh ... I seen this first hand, I swear.. Maybe this has a true reasoning behind it,maybe it is a mold pricing issue,but this just bothered me whne I heard this and wondered if any of you had heard the same thing, or is my tire on drugs...:p

02 Red Rider
01-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Well I can tell you that I looked at my Holeshot XC's and ther is no marking at all on the outside of the tire to tell you 4 or 6 ply. That's an interesting bit of info QJ, but for ME if Maxxis doesn't start bringing there prices down a tad I will stick with my Holeshots.