PDA

View Full Version : beadlock wheels

Bradracer18
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Guys-

Whats the scoop on beadlock wheels? I have a pair on my trx450r right now, but upon taking them off, I found a ding/bend in the outer wheel (not the ring, but where the ring seals)...and its not able to be bent back.

I believe they were dwt wheels.

I'm looking for more of a harescramble tire. So, would I be better to go with a 10" rim in the rear?

Also, double or single beadlock?

I looked at the hiper page, but couldn't understand what was different between each wheel (tech 3, CF1, etc).

Let me know what you think. Right now I have 8" rears and 10" fronts, with razr cross tires. I was thinking I could leave the fronts for now....

Scro
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Most people run 9" rears in XC. Most tire manufacturers produce their most popular tires for 9" rims. The Razr Cross tires you have are designed for MX, and are probably 4-ply if I had to guess. You definately want to switch to a 6-ply tire for XC.

There is no need for dual rear beadlock in my opinion. There are lots of people than run just single rear beadlock.

Tech3's have an aluminum center, while the CF1 wheels have a carbon composite center. Supposedly, the Tech3's are stronger, but there are plenty of people that run CF1's without issue.

Bradracer18
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
wow, ok ok lots of information!

Do you feel my front tires would be adequate (they are new basically from a trade)?? Also, what tires do you recommend?

And...what is your opinion then on the beadlocks.....stick with hiper wheels, or go with a dwt/itp wheel?

bmerriman12
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
the hiper wheels cost more but hiper says that the tech3s are 3 times stronger than aluminum wheels. dwt sells the champion in a box kit for a reasonable price. but i went with a full set of tech3s brand new for $650 shipped with whatever color rings i wanted and a 1 year warranty on the wheels.

Scro
03-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
wow, ok ok lots of information!

Do you feel my front tires would be adequate (they are new basically from a trade)?? Also, what tires do you recommend?

And...what is your opinion then on the beadlocks.....stick with hiper wheels, or go with a dwt/itp wheel?

You want Maxxis 21" Razr2 fronts/20" Razr1 rears. That is the best combo in my opinion. GBC makes some tires that are very similiar and cost a little less, but they are made of a little harder compound (less traction).

If your front tires are razr cross tires, they are designed for MX. If you try to ride them in the woods, you are more prone to ripping the sidewall.

I've ran Hiper in the past, and now own DWT wheels. I'm going to be switching back to hiper soon. They look better for a longer period of time. Aluminum wheels being to loose their shine after a couple rides. The Hipers are also much easier to change tires on. I ran the Hipers for over 3 years, with no issues at all. I bent a front DWT beadlock with a couple months.

However, you already have the 10" front wheel that you need for XC tires. All you would need to do is buy the 9" rears for the XC tires and you would be set. It would be a little cheaper than going out and buying a whole set of Hipers.

Bradracer18
03-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Thats what I was thinking, sticking with my front wheels and buying some hiper rears.

I like that setup for tires, I have ran the razr 1's before! Never the 2's, but I'm sure the quality is the same!

Are the mudplugs a good idea?

Scro
03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
Thats what I was thinking, sticking with my front wheels and buying some hiper rears.

I like that setup for tires, I have ran the razr 1's before! Never the 2's, but I'm sure the quality is the same!

Are the mudplugs a good idea?

If you are talking about the Hiper mudplugs, don't expect them to last very long. I lost one of mine in no time. The DWT mudplugs are nice though.

Bradracer18
03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Yep, that's what I was talking about! I won't waste the money on them then!

Oh, and seens how you seem to be pretty familar with xc racing, what do you reccommend for width of the quad?

Mine is more or less set up for mx, but I'd like to race xc

Thanks!

Scro
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
You really don't want to go any more than 47-47.5". You may be alright going a little wider for the GNCC series, but the tighter local races would give you a little trouble at that width.

On Honda's, +1 a-arms are pretty much the standard for XC. You want your rearend to be just a little narrower than the front (maybe 1/4-1/2" on each side).

Bradracer18
03-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok well I have a full walsh/pep suspension right now, so not sure what I'm going to do.

coloavfan
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
The other bad thing I have heard about the Hiper's (aside from the cost) is that they don't bend....they break. If you bend a wheel there are a lot of situations in which you can bend it back enough to at least hold air to finish the race, etc. If you smack a Hiper and it cracks or breaks....you're done!

Scro
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
They can break just like anything else. I will say that they do flex. When I first got mine, I put them on a wheel machine in order to put the tire on (didn't realize it was a bad idea and uncalled for until after I did it). The wheel actually flexed into a square, where the four heads were on the tire changing machine. I thought I was screwed until I released the machine, and they went back to original shape.

Like I said, I ran mine for over 3 years, and know people that have for longer periods of time. With as many wheels as they sell, you're bound to have a couple freak stories of them breaking.

coloavfan
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I'll bet that scared the crap out of you when the tire machine squeezed the wheel!! I guess we see more of the breakage out here in Arizona because of all the rocks. When you hit a big rock at speed there is not much bending, it usually just breaks them. A lot of the guys have gone back to aluminum because of this.

Scro
03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by coloavfan
I'll bet that scared the crap out of you when the tire machine squeezed the wheel!! I guess we see more of the breakage out here in Arizona because of all the rocks. When you hit a big rock at speed there is not much bending, it usually just breaks them. A lot of the guys have gone back to aluminum because of this.

Yeah, but it was cool at the same time:p I didn't think about desert riding. We rarely see 25 MPH in the tight stuff here, much less 60+ hauling *** across the desert:devil:

coloavfan
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Yeah, but it was cool at the same time:p I didn't think about desert riding. We rarely see 25 MPH in the tight stuff here, much less 60+ hauling *** across the desert:devil:

Only cool if it was someone elses wheel :devious: