PDA

View Full Version : Neck Brace?

Fralick #81
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey guys! Im just starting to get into competive motocross racing and am looking at buying a neck brace for a reaonable price. I have not personally tried any braces on yet but was hoping for some imput. I dont want to spend to much money but I want to make sure its going to do its job. So what do you guys use and what are your thoughts on them. Thanks, Jon

JRP
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I love my leatt. I feel like it has protected me in 2 bad crashes. I will never ride without one

660LE
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I just bought an Omega brace. It looks well built and its light. a bit cheaper in price then the leatt and astar. I haven't got to try it yet. But it seems like it will do the job like all the other braces.

slightlybent47
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Leatt for me, you get what you pay for. don't skimp on the brace, it's your neck your talking about.

SRH
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
dungey did some bad advertising for leatt... rc didnt have much to say on the brace...which i can sort of agree, its not going to do much for a burst fracture, may keep you from dieing but pretty sure youll still have some spinal damage...which im not sure what one woudl be worse at that level

J.Brown121
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
i love my leatt. the whole dungy thing i can understand because those guys are the best in the world at what they do and push their equiptment to the edge, and it's the first time i've ever noticed one malfunctioning. and the idea behind the brace is to spread out the impact on your neck during an accident

SRH
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
yeah ive looked into it, but id like to know how they compensate for someone with a long neck...compression seems to be an issue no matter what

CRE Performance
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SRH
yeah ive looked into it, but id like to know how they compensate for someone with a long neck...compression seems to be an issue no matter what

Dont know about how they compensate for a long neck, but I know none of them have compensated for a short neck.

Ive tried a leatte, and I own an EVS. I wont wear either one of them. They give me pretty bad head shake and it leads to motion sickness, then leads to a DNF. I wasted an entire freakin season, full of DNFs due to vomiting mid race. I couldnt figure it out till I forgot it at home one time and won the race....Ill never wear it again, I dont give a damn if it means a broken neck, I might as well stop riding if I have to wear it.

slightlybent47
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Nothing is ever going to be 100%. It’s like the seat belt in your car, it’s not going to save you every time but your chances are much greater for survival if you wear it. Not everyone likes the brace and thats fine, but I still believe it’s better then nothing.

JIM GRACE
03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
If your gonna get the leatt get the middle
one with all the adjustments not the adventurer.
They list for 400 but you can get one for a little
over two. The a stars brace looks to be the one to have

660LE
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
heres my omega

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/4341455379_e1f588e79e_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4341455943_abe9a045be_b.jpg

mjc597
03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
very first time i wore my leatte i wanted to take it off right away!! felt very awkward to me. but after the 1st moto i was fine with it. my wife has neck problems also and she's always complaining after a race weekend about her neck. she has worn my leatte the last 3-4 rides/races and said she noticed right away that she has no more pain after riding. this sunday i took a nasty spill on my dirtbike going through some nasty whoops, and went head first into the dirt and had the bike land on me, and ended up being suspended on my head for like 3 seconds before my body flipped over and hit the dirt. and i got up and shook it off and i have no pain or feeling of pulled muscles or anything!! glad i wear one and i wouldn't ride/race without one, any brand..

eastside 400
03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
i love my astarts, it is very comfortable for me to wear, i barely notice it when im riding now. the only time i notice it is when im sitting still and go to turn my head to the side all the way, my strap from the helmet catches the clips on the side, ive never had it happen when riding but just when im sitting around with it on. from what the guy at my local shop told me about the A-star unlike the others is that they designed it to limit the amount of compression your neck will get during a direct downward slam. it sits high enough on your shoulders that it will limit the amount of downtravel your head can get, thats why they recommend you to put in the extra shoulder padding/spacers. The shop sells all 4 neck braces also so he wasnt just trying to sell me something.

flyboy62
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
i love my leatt. when i first got it and rode with it i hated it. but after a few hours of riding i couldnt tell it was on. now i wont ride with out one. my buddy has an EVS and i am not a fan of it. it felt too much like wearing an annoying backpack

KXRida
03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I like my leatt gpx, but love my Astars brace. Much more comfortable and less helmet interference.

After having both for some time now, I prefer the Astars and the leatt more or less sits in the gear bag.

Tried on an omega and didn't really care for it. I'm extremely picky when it comes to things sitting on my shoulders. I hate to feeling of being constricted (mild claustrophobia) so it's hard for me to even find a CP that I like. The omega just felt a little too constrictive over my shoulders to be comfortable for me.

sunco
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
I like my leatt gpx, but love my Astars brace. Much more comfortable and less helmet interference.

After having both for some time now, I prefer the Astars and the leatt more or less sits in the gear bag.

Tried on an omega and didn't really care for it. I'm extremely picky when it comes to things sitting on my shoulders. I hate to feeling of being constricted (mild claustrophobia) so it's hard for me to even find a CP that I like. The omega just felt a little too constrictive over my shoulders to be comfortable for me.

Ok then sell me your leatt if its a medium. $250 - I'll bring the cash @ spring fling. Sound good?

KXRida
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by sunco
Ok then sell me your leatt if its a medium. $250 - I'll bring the cash @ spring fling. Sound good?

I'm looking at a bike for my girlfriend right now, so she may use it, but I'm almost positive she'll need a small so if she doesn't use it I'll sell it to yah. I'm trying to trade it off for a small if I could. She's a pretty small build which makes me think the medium is too big.

sunco
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I read that girls should get a small. I'm shopping ebay so its whoever has the best deal 1st is what I'll go w/. I'll pm ya if I see a small anywhere. So if you wanta commit to my deal . I'll go w/ it. otherwise like I said I'm shopping let me know Thanx.

KXRida
03-03-2010, 10:08 AM
No problem at all, If you find one by all means go with it if it's a good deal.

TJ Bradley
03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I've got the A star bionic brace. Its the cheaper version ( white/black ) I can move in it alot better than my Leatt. But i think the leatt feels like it would protect more in a crash to the side. And holds up better than the Leatt. One of the shoulder pads already came unglued. Its all what you want or prefer i guess. If im racing i wear my A star cause its not as restrictive and i dont even know its there. But if Im practicing and jumping big stuff more likely to Eat it on, I'll have Leatt on. More comfortable for long day riding and more secure feeling. The A star comes with some pretty *****ty elastic straps to hold it on to. So thats my .02

KXRida
03-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
I've got the A star bionic brace. Its the cheaper version ( white/black ) I can move in it alot better than my Leatt. But i think the leatt feels like it would protect more in a crash to the side. And holds up better than the Leatt. One of the shoulder pads already came unglued. Its all what you want or prefer i guess. If im racing i wear my A star cause its not as restrictive and i dont even know its there. But if Im practicing and jumping big stuff more likely to Eat it on, I'll have Leatt on. More comfortable for long day riding and more secure feeling. The A star comes with some pretty *****ty elastic straps to hold it on to. So thats my .02

They have the optional A strap deal, but I never use straps with either of my neck braces. I personally like the Astars straps better when I did use them. Used the leatt's once and never used them again. My only complaint is with the Xstrap on the Astars by the end of a short ride the straps are in your arm pits and chaffing you already. Regardless, I don't use any straps.