PDA

View Full Version : 300ex base gasket help

badass400ex
01-25-2003, 12:15 AM
i need info on the base gasket deal i know thet wiseco pistons for 400ex's arent accurate with compression ratios what about 300ex's are they correct? and has anyone not used a base gasket on a 300? i have a 11-1 wiseco and gaskets ready but if the ratio is not correct i would like to true it up the best i can anyone who has wondered this or has any info or experience please give oppinions and info

TRX300X
01-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Any gains you would get from not running a base gasket would be minimal and unoticeable at best. The base gasket isn't very thick to begin with and either way you're going to want to run some type of sealer or gasket type material between your cylinder and the cases otherwise you could get contaminants in your engine or even leak oil. If you want to really "true up" your compression ratio look into either getting the head milled or the top of the cylinder cut down. I have the top of my cylinder cut down .006. I did this because my big bore sleve decided to sink into the cylinder between rebuilds.

300exazzkikr
01-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by TRX300X
Any gains you would get from not running a base gasket would be minimal and unoticeable at best. The base gasket isn't very thick to begin with and either way you're going to want to run some type of sealer or gasket type material between your cylinder and the cases otherwise you could get contaminants in your engine or even leak oil. If you want to really "true up" your compression ratio look into either getting the head milled or the top of the cylinder cut down. I have the top of my cylinder cut down .006. I did this because my big bore sleve decided to sink into the cylinder between rebuilds.

I agree, the gasket is so thin to begin with it won't really matter. Plus as he said if you put some type of sealant on it you risk putting things in the motor you don't want.