PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan not running.. fuse??

stonesuperman
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
played around in our river and dipped the front end a little deep. enough so that i could hear the fan spinning in the water.. after 10 seconds of the fan running in the water i shut the key off and let the bike cool so the fan wouldn't be running in the water.. after i got'er out i didn't notice the fan ever kicking on again.. is there a fuse i could check or do you think i ruined the fan.. if so, that a pretty weak fan.

birdman7389
03-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by stonesuperman
if so, that a pretty weak fan.

ehhhh....this is no redneck 4x4. Electronics and electric motors generally don't agree with getting submerged. :ermm:

somewon
03-01-2010, 06:36 AM
I've had the temp sensor go out on mine as well as the fan motor itself quit. I found a perfect replacement fan from Summit racing. i think it was the perma-cool fan in the same diameter as the stock fan but it moves more CFM and screws into the factory bracket.

stonesuperman
03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
sounds good. i assume no fuse so i will take off, test and replace if necessary.. yes its no hilbilly 4x4.. but i bet if i opt'ed for the 700xx, i wouldn't be raplacing a cooling fan.. i thought it was an atv not stv(some terrain vehicle).

somewon
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
well I definately wouldn't try to use any of them to cross the atlantic.

... I don't know, an outlander 800 w/ paddles might get the job done if you can keep it fueled up.

birdman7389
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by stonesuperman
but i bet if i opt'ed for the 700xx, i wouldn't be raplacing a cooling fan..

Maybe not, but you would have to hire a diver to retrieve that heavy bish from the bottom of the lake :devil:

Chuck75
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I had the exact same issue (here in fla you cant help but get in the water) whatever. anyway I couldn't get the new sensor for the radiator for a week so I cut the wires close to the sensor and butt conected them together with heat shrink so the fan ran all the time. or so I thought, come to find out that the connection for the sensor had a intermediate short inside the wetherpack connector. turn youre key on and reach up and wiggle the wires real good before you buy anything.

stonesuperman
03-06-2010, 07:29 AM
thanks for the good info chuck.. finally got to ride yesterday and it started working.. i'm just getting out of the break in period so i think the bike is just running a little cooler and it took me getting stuck on the top of a hill climb and having her in the high revs for a long period to get the fan goin. and believe me going back down the hill was not an option lol.

Chuck75
03-06-2010, 07:34 AM
good stuff. dont let those sissies keep you out of the water. its fun.