PDA

View Full Version : How do you polish your side cases

fast330ex
01-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I have a 300ex and want to polish the side cases but I don't know how.
Right now the cases have nothing on them there just how they look stock. Step by step how do you get those high polished sides.

Extremeracer167
01-25-2003, 07:49 AM
well the first thing u need is no life and alot of time! LMAO J/P to everyone that does it. But really they look bad*****, but tha takes too much time for me! I would have it lookin all crappy after one GNCC:(

R'Fanatic
01-25-2003, 11:09 AM
:D 1. Go to Wal-mart and got some aircraft remover.
2. Go to Sears and get the drill or Dremel polishing kit.
3. Let the aircraft stripper sit 15-20 minutes.
4. Bust out the kit on it.
5. Get ahold of it with the Mothers, Heavy Metal polish, etc.:devil

Andrew400ex
01-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
well the first thing u need is no life and alot of time!
hes got that...

Ballistic Atv
01-25-2003, 03:36 PM
#1 remove all paint from sidecase either by sanding or using paint stripper.
#2 start sanding the entire sidecase starting with 220 grit sandpaper to remover any deep scratches in the metal, than start using finer and finer grit sandpaper until you get the metal smooth and almost polished looking.I usually use only up to 600 grit sandpaper to do the finish sanding, but you may need to go higher in grit depending on the peice you are working on.
#3 either buy a bench grinder and put a polishing weel on it or buy a dremel with a polishing weel attacment.
Than, buy a polishing kit from sears or some hardware store( the kit should include: white rouge, tripoli compound, and red rouge) those are the "polishing compunds" you will be using, they look almost like a stock of hardend clay.
#4 start up the bench grinder, and starting with the tripoli compound, apply the compound to the polishing wheel, than move the sidecase over the polishing wheel over and over and over until it starts to look polished.Than apply the white rouge compound onto the polishing wheel and start to polish the sidecase again. After doing this, your sidecase will be completely polished.If you would like, you can also put some "mothers" polish on a rag and polish out the sidecase again to get all the fingerprints and such off of it.

Its a loooooooong process, but the end product is well worth the effort put into it!

fast330ex
01-25-2003, 04:02 PM
R'Fanatic or anybody

How much would that all cost

And would I have to take the side cases off the engine

Ballistic Atv
01-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Dremel-$50
or
Bench Grinder-$30
Polishing Compunds-$15
Polishing Wheel-$5
Assorted grits of Sandpaper-$10

Making your Sidecase look like chrome-----PRICELESS!

01-25-2003, 04:59 PM
if you can find a polishing shop maybe about 25/30 bucks

Ballistic Atv
01-25-2003, 05:09 PM
If you are gonna do the polishing, than i would definately reccomend that your remove the sidecase BEFORE polishing it.
So, you will have to buy a gasket for that sidecase.
I would not try to polish it while it is still bolted up to the engine.

racin 400
01-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Never put more than 1 compound on 1 wheel if u want ur stuff looking like this

racin 400
01-25-2003, 11:53 PM
or this.don't mid the trottle cap dremel fried when i was polishing it.just buy 5 wheels i have 1 wheel that i don't put compound and and i use it when i am complete with the part and i run the part over it real quick to clean the part up.

01-25-2003, 11:54 PM
ill polish your case for 30 bucks a peice....;) ...i jus started to polish and man..i tihnk its kidna fun

racin 400
01-25-2003, 11:54 PM
the marks on my stator are from my boots.

racin 400
01-25-2003, 11:58 PM
lrdrider1 what tools are u using.

Team Outlaw #34
01-26-2003, 12:03 AM
should you put like a clear coat on? so it doesn't rust? (its 1 am so i don't really know what i'm talkin about)

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Team Outlaw #34
should you put like a clear coat on? so it doesn't rust? (its 1 am so i don't really know what i'm talkin about)

Aluminium does not rust.

OutlawEX
01-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
ill polish your case for 30 bucks a peice....;) ...i jus started to polish and man..i tihnk its kidna fun

You just started polishing a few days ago...You are wanting to charge what professionnals charge and i seen ur polishing it aint no professional...I polish parts and i wouldnt charge that much..I use a buffing wheel,dremel and compounds....

Sparks425Ex
01-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Aluminium does not rust.

You are correct. But it does oxidize.

And as for LRDRider: Once you do a side case I bet you will never do one again. They take so much time and effort. Believe me you gotta get better than you are if you are gonna start charging people.

R'Fanatic
01-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Sears sells the kits for drill and dremel both for 10$. They come with 8 dfferent buffing wheels. Or you could order a scotchbrite bench grinding wheel for 23$. Heres a link on how to polish. It's a set of banshee cylinders. http://www.mrha8.org/polishing.htm
;)

trx400ex
01-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
You just started polishing a few days ago...You are wanting to charge what professionnals charge and i seen ur polishing it aint no professional...I polish parts and i wouldnt charge that much..I use a buffing wheel,dremel and compounds....

A pro would charge about 100$ it takes hours if you do a good job and 30$ wouldnt cover it. Youd make like 7$ an hour minus supplies and equipment. Yeah i am polishind mine and it is a pain, if i would have known it would have been this bad i wouldnt have done it. Oh well to late now.

01-26-2003, 04:18 PM
guys..i was joking...i polished my starter cover and that took a while..i use real rough steel wool to get it smooth after i get all the paint off with either a sand blaster..or my friends wheel....then i use #0 steel wool to get it smooth...then i spray little bit of wd40 on it..wipe it off but leave just a small amount their.....then run teh #0 wool over it again...then wipe off..then polish with mothers.....they look a lot better in eprson..my digital camera sucks:(

fast330ex
01-26-2003, 06:30 PM
What's a bench grinder . I think I know what it is I just wanted to make sure