PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Alignment Question

barthel
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey Guys,

Had a bad hit a few weeks ago on the left side. I caught the rim on a BIG rock, toasted the rim, bent the tie rod about 25 degrees and bent the handlebars.

Work all day yesterday and got everything replaced, and dialed in the front end. The front tires seem to track straight but it now looks like I'm crabbing, front tires off center from the rear.

My question is, do I automatically assume I have either a bent frame or something bent in the front end? It was a fairly violent hit and I'm now afraid that the frame is tweaked. OR, is it something to do with front end set up?

Any help would be appreciated.:(

JOHNDOE83
02-28-2010, 12:29 PM
same thing happend to me, my swing arm bolt is bent, and it throws the steering off a lil bit....but when i lower my quad it starightens back out, i need to replace it so when i go back to my off road setup i dont crab like you.....

thats whats wrong with mine, check your swinger bolt mines obvious when i look at it...

barthel
02-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Are you talking about the rear swingarm bolt?

I'll check that. I didn't even consider it might be something in the rear end. All of the measurements I've taken have been from the footpegs forward.

fishnfergie
02-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Stupid, but are both your rims on right?

JOHNDOE83
02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
ya, the swing arm bolt.

barthel
02-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by fishnfergie
Stupid, but are both your rims on right?

Not stupid at all, I've done it before.:D

I got 2 new rims and had the tire remounted. The one rim on the left was beaten too bad to salvage, so i replaced both front rims. They are on the right way with the direction arrows pointed in the right direction.

John, I checked the swingarm and bolt, all appears good. Rear end seems to trac true with the rest of the frame.