PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Start

Martin Blair
01-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi, this may seem stupid since its so easy to start a 400 with a push of a button, but is the a kick-start for it to save weigh for m/x racing? i wont buy one but i was just wondering if there is that option.

RIDER11X
01-24-2003, 11:27 PM
:confused: Well, the 400ex motor is derived from the XR400, so you might be able to obtain the needed parts from there if the 400ex changes don't interfere. Note: it would be a rear kick requiring plastic to be removed in some way.:cool:

stocktires
01-25-2003, 12:38 AM
maybe you could just swap you ex motor for a xr400 motor?

do both motors use all the same mounts? Seems like a good idea to me cuz then it would have a quick change clutch cover and the motor wouldnt be de-tuned...

Predator36
01-25-2003, 03:50 AM
Yes, you can make it a kick start by replacing a few parts. Problems that you will encounter - Kicker shaft to short - kicker hits frame. Buy a Honda kicker and kick start shaft to cut up and make an extension. Now kicker clears frame but hits rear brake peddle assembly. There are several ways around this. When Honda installed a setup close to this they had a chassis fabricator build a new brake lever that pivoted in front of the engine, with the rear master cylinder also in front of the engine.

Martin Blair
01-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Y did they de-tune the motor from the xr to the 400? thats stupid i know the cams are different but what else is? Can you buy a timing chip for a xr400 and would that improve any power? or a cdi box from a xr?

tants
01-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
maybe you could just swap you ex motor for a xr400 motor?

do both motors use all the same mounts? Seems like a good idea to me cuz then it would have a quick change clutch cover and the motor wouldnt be de-tuned...

very good idea!