PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a raptor 660..

backwoodsracer
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Im buy and selling atv's right now making a little money. So im thinking when i get enough together to get a raptor 660. It's fast electric start ( Id rather have kick) It's four-stroke(reliable) tons of aftermarket parts for it. I am talking just about the 660's I cant afford a 700

Id like to see the owners name some pro's and cons and put some pics up.

beastlywarrior
02-28-2010, 01:11 PM
eh i prefer my warrior or a 400 over those their just way too tippy

also i noticed you went from a two stroke to a four stroke guy very fast:blah:

backwoodsracer
02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
eh i prefer my warrior or a 400 over those their just way too tippy

also i noticed you went from a two stroke to a four stroke guy very fast:blah:

Haha well I was mainly rebelling against my dad who said 2 strokes sucked and fourstrokes were the way to go.

What do you mean way to tippy? I liked my warrior for a while but it just wasn't fast enough and it was to heavy. Great trail bike though

I want that torque and power and that aggressive look

kfx400rider03
02-28-2010, 01:36 PM
my buddys dad bught a 660 raptor off a close friend and the guy he bought it off of was rich only use the quad to get the mail. literally thats all. i for get the year but it was sill brand new had the hair stubs on the stock tires and only had a hmf slip on. it had decent power. just one day he started it was letting it warm up in the garage and ashe was walking away from the garage he heard the quad shut off and a weird noise. goes in to the garage and finds the head cover with a good size hole in it from the cam. had to buy a whole new head for the quad. yes it was a freak accident but makes you thnk before you buy one. and yes it had plenty of oil in it

backwoodsracer
02-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03
my buddys dad bught a 660 raptor off a close friend and the guy he bought it off of was rich only use the quad to get the mail. literally thats all. i for get the year but it was sill brand new had the hair stubs on the stock tires and only had a hmf slip on. it had decent power. just one day he started it was letting it warm up in the garage and ashe was walking away from the garage he heard the quad shut off and a weird noise. goes in to the garage and finds the head cover with a good size hole in it from the cam. had to buy a whole new head for the quad. yes it was a freak accident but makes you thnk before you buy one. and yes it had plenty of oil in it

Sounds like something was loose in there , Never heard of that happening seen one case that happened to a 450r in the middle of a race i beleive it was on here.

kfx400rider03
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
yeah just one of those freak accidents that happens to 1 out of 100

quadrcr161
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
look into the different years, i know some had bad trans issues, and they are considered top heavy, i know the ones ive rode felt that way. why not look for a 400ex or a z400? better overall atv.

backwoodsracer
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
look into the different years, i know some had bad trans issues, and they are considered top heavy, i know the ones ive rode felt that way. why not look for a 400ex or a z400? better overall atv.

I beleive it is just the 01's with the bad trans, when you say top heavy you mean it just has bad roll?

I would love to have a 400 but i want something to woop up on the 450's, and yeah there's some bad 400's out there but i dont have much money

kfx400rider03
02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
a raptor would win a long distance top speed race but my when my ltr was stock was when my buddys dad had the 660 and it beat it off the line and held it of until about 3rd gear then he slowly pulled. and my other friend had a stock trx450r and raced my other buddys raptor 700 and same out come on that one. and i raced the 700 on my kfx when it was stock and stayed right with it untillshifting into 3rd again. i gues there gears a longer sence they have more power but in the woods when we raced it was always a close race. so the raptor would only be a little faster on a nice long straight away

quadrcr161
02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer
I beleive it is just the 01's with the bad trans, when you say top heavy you mean it just has bad roll?

I would love to have a 400 but i want something to woop up on the 450's, and yeah there's some bad 400's out there but i dont have much money

good luck on the 660 whopping up on a 450. the 660's feel about as fast as a piped 400. cc's dont mean anything.

02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
DON'T BUY ONE.

If this says anything, check out this thread. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=427961

I am a diehard yamaha freak. I love Yamaha. But the Raptor 660 is one of the worst quads ever built.

Power-wise, they're only about as fast as a piped 400. They're super narrow and the motor is high up in the frame, which as a result makes it very top heavy and ill-handling. Reliability is horrible. Just because it's a 4-stroke does not mean it's reliable. In my honest opinion 2-strokes are more reliable most of the time. Sure, they have to be rebuilt more often, but there is so much less to go wrong. And I have never had a 2-stroke break down on me.

Not to mention 01 and 02 Raptors had **** 2nd gears, and on all years the starter clutches are known to go bad all the time and the motor really isn't that reliable.

The 400ex, or z400 is a lot better quad all the way around and can be had for a better price. They handle 10x better, are more reliable, and just as fast with a couple bolt ons.

The raptor 660 was a child that should have never been born... and you heard that from a Yamaha guy.

02-28-2010, 02:35 PM
In all honesty here, I know im going to get flamed for this, but...

You want something fast to beat up on your buddies 450?
You want something kickstart?
You want something reliable?

Well you just described a banshee. They can be had for dirt cheap these days.. and it's incredibly easy to make killer horsepower out of them to make 450's look like a joke. It handles way better then a raptor 660, and feels like a much lighter, more nimble version of the warrior.
And I have never seen ONE banshee break down unless it was tuned very poorly and an idiot owned it.

quadrcr161
02-28-2010, 02:40 PM
the banshee is better handling then a 660 but thats not saying much.

they do make a ton of hp, but the more you mod something the less reliable it is and with a shee you need to buy 2 of everything on the top ends. but if he just wants to drag race his friends the banshee might be it.

edit: OP why is out running your friends that important? why not just out ride them?

kfx400rider03
02-28-2010, 02:51 PM
banshees where another porrly design quad IMO and are overated because everyone thinks they are sooo fast. yes they are pretty quick but agian raced one on my ltr this time i had the cherry bomb mod and staid side by side with the banshee. just get a 400ex or kfx/z400 they both hande good and are realy reliable. never had anyprobs with my kfx and it still runs strong.

02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03
banshees where another porrly design quad IMO and are overated because everyone thinks they are sooo fast. yes they are pretty quick but agian raced one on my ltr this time i had the cherry bomb mod and staid side by side with the banshee. just get a 400ex or kfx/z400 they both hande good and are realy reliable. never had anyprobs with my kfx and it still runs strong.

Yes, they're poorly designed by todays standards, but when you get used to them they really aren't too bad. Very easy to throw around and turn really nice. It just takes a little getting used to.

They aren't SOOO fast, but they're right on par with 450's mod for mod like exhaust and stuff. But once you go into porting they're unstoppable. haha. Plus there is some cheap upgrades as far as suspension goes.

And even with a mild dune-port motor, they're STILL really reliable. There's really not much to go wrong and there's lots of guys with built cheetah cubs on BHQ that have been on the same build for 2 years already that are still running healthy.

quadrcr161
02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
yea they were poor designed back then also. they were heavier then the 250's and they handle like a brick in the air. they rule in drags but other then that they are behind in terms of handling.

yes some guys with banshees have ran the same motor for 2 yrs, but theres 400ex's out there with the stock piston and set up since it was released.

02-28-2010, 03:47 PM
yea they were poor designed back then also. they were heavier then the 250's and they handle like a brick in the air. they rule in drags but other then that they are behind in terms of handling.

yes some guys with banshees have ran the same motor for 2 yrs, but theres 400ex's out there with the stock piston and set up since it was released.

haha my banshee feels lighter in the air then my 400ex did. And the thing is great with the new suspension I have.

And.. well.. 80hp cheetah banshee for 2 years or 26hp 400ex for 8? I think ill take the cheetah. Hahaha

quadrcr161
02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
haha my banshee feels lighter in the air then my 400ex did. And the thing is great with the new suspension I have.

And.. well.. 80hp cheetah banshee for 2 years or 26hp 400ex for 8? I think ill take the cheetah. Hahaha

that might be your opinion, but if they were that great why did they make frames with the honda geometry.

well for trail riding, i think the 8yr old 400 will still beat the big bore cheetah in handling and reliability.

02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
that might be your opinion, but if they were that great why did they make frames with the honda geometry.

well for trail riding, i think the 8yr old 400 will still beat the big bore cheetah in handling and reliability.

Because Honda geometry kicks *** and I would love to have that outlaw frame.

You guys act like im some kind of 4-stroke hating 400/450 hating monster. No, I love em all. I just like banshee's the most. haha. I'm very comfortable riding it and can rail it around like crazy so thats all I care about. I'd rather rebuild something more often and have a 2-stroke hit then ride some 4-poke.

JIM GRACE
02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Lots of good info on here. I hated my raptor and replaced it with a z400. I have had the z for 7 years and going and kept the craptor for 3 mos.

Enough said

RaptorRacer45
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
700s nowadays are dime a dozen, and just as affordable as a 660.

I had my time with a 660 and i dont regret ditching it 1 bit.....the 700 is what the 660 should have been, if your set on a Raptor wait for a 700. ;)

gtt416ex
03-01-2010, 06:22 AM
i've never been a real big fan of 660's, if you're looking for something to do wheelies on get it, but make sure its at least an 04. they handle like ****, and it takes a few things to make them handle half decent. here's a what we did to my buddie's 660, bashee shocks on the front, banshee axle in the rear to widen it out, and razr mx's, it does alright but still doesn't corner like my 416

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/crg10493/downsized_11150915021.jpg

Tommy Warren
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
wow there is a lot of false information on this thread....

toby400ex
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM

I'm sure you could find a pretty nice 400ex pretty cheap, probably in the same price range as a raptor, just gotta do a little searching. And even 450r's in certain areas can sell for about $2200 - $2500.

backwoodsracer
03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quadrcr161

they do make a ton of hp, but the more you mod something the less reliable it is and with a shee you need to buy 2 of everything on the top ends. but if he just wants to drag race his friends the banshee might be it.

edit: OP why is out running your friends that important? why not just out ride them? [/QUOTE

Out riding's not a problem... But there's no way in hell im keeping this blaster........ Yamaha's first terd ever made, Did i mention how ugly it is?:mad: :mad:

Im liking the sound of the 400's

03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quadrcr161

edit: OP why is out running your friends that important? why not just out ride them? [/QUOTE

Out riding's not a problem... But there's no way in hell im keeping this blaster........ Yamaha's first terd ever made, Did i mention how ugly it is?:mad: :mad:

Im liking the sound of the 400's

They're great quads. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Not in 450 terriotory power wise, but they handle awesome and still have a lot of pep.

I went from a blaster to a 400ex myself before I had the shee. I was glad I made the switch, even though I loved my blaster.

backwoodsracer
03-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
They're great quads. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Not in 450 terriotory power wise, but they handle awesome and still have a lot of pep.

I went from a blaster to a 400ex myself before I had the shee. I was glad I made the switch, even though I loved my blaster.

Yeah thing is ive never ever ridden a 400ex....strange huh i rode a z400 a while back