PDA

View Full Version : How are the z400's

Nick C
02-28-2010, 07:45 AM
I just sold my kfx 450r and am looking to another trail quad. How are the z400's. I heard great things but is the power enough to make you happy even with an exaust ect. how is the maintenance and what are the best model years to buy. My experiance riding includes banchees, 250r's and the '08 kfx 450r, raptors. I dont need a rocket ship but something thats comfortable and can be fun riding. and whats worth paying for a z400?

twincat800
02-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I think its worth it especially because you can find one in nice shape for 2000-2500. If a lot of power is something you want then you shouldve kept your 450. It takes some modding to get on a 450 level. If you say your not looking for a rocket ship the find a kfx/dvx/ltz and if you want put a pipe and filter on it and you will be satisfied. A thing i really really like it how if feels kinda like your sitting in the quad, makes me feel real comfortable, unlike the yfz and 450r ive been on it feels like your, well riding on top of it haha. I would recommend the 04 and or 05 and up, im not sure what year they changed the frame setup i think there was a forum on what has been changed over the years not sure though. These things are pretty reliable too and 450 parts do fit these quads for better horsepower and suspension also.

KAWIRYDER
02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
I had a KFX400 and now have a KFX450. I would have to say that the 400 is a better trail quad. The power is a smooth power for hopping over trees and water bars and seems to be more manageable. Kinda of wish I would have kept it. The 450 is nice but has a lot more power and it seems i work harder to ride it. I have also done the big three mod to the 450 and it is a power monster. With the mods I had done to the 400 it was perfect.Hope that helps.:D

350ex
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Go for it I think you will be happy. They have plenty of power to have fun on. Ive ridden a lot of different quads over the years and I really like mine. I do agree that they wear you out less than the 450's especially for long rides. I keep up with the 450's just fine on the trails.

Limited Z_400
02-28-2010, 11:42 AM
400z great trail quad.
Try to find a 2005 or newer.
1.piggyback front shocks which are adjustable
2.stronger clutch (more dics & plates)
3.stronger sub frame(gussets)
4. slightly more power (carb.)
Hope this helps.

Nick C
02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the reply's, they make me feel more positive about a 400cc quad purchase. To me the 450 are meant for the track, my kfx 450 with intake and exaust mods was friggin quick!! the ergoes were good but even with the quadtech seat kit it still wasn't comfy and the vibration was definately noticible. How are oil and sparkplug changes and are the carbs easy to adjust cause I heard they can be a pain. Guess if I buy one piped and jetted that should be no worry. I found an '03 for $1100 but then they got weak frames right, but do the weak frames matter with just trail riding?

Limited Z_400
02-28-2010, 01:42 PM
That's a good deal. As far as the frames I don't kno for sure if there was a year change for beefed up frames.If you are trail riding you should be ok. just check out the problem areas on the frame, especially top of the front shocks mounts.The 2009 season we raced mx a 04 ltz and had good luck with it, except with the frame.We welded homemade gussets to finish the year.This year have a 2003 frame which is in good cond. and installed a bare gusset kit.To change the main jet is no big deal, I can change them with out removing the carb.Oil & filter change are easy but the plug change I just remove the fuel tank.

350ex
02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
If you want comfy I would go with the z. The dvx seat sucks. Thats about the only thing I dont like about it.

twincat800
02-28-2010, 02:45 PM
i had a kfx for a minute and i did like the seat on that better than my dvx but i like the way the dvx looks. Changing the oil you have to drain the engine and the resivoir so theres 2 different drain plugs you have to drain but they are very easy to get to. Unlike the 450s you can change your plug without taking the bike apart... But if you get one make sure you have a tool set the bikes come with, because the tools it comes with is what makes it soo easy.

knoxville9
02-28-2010, 05:39 PM
How made gussets aren't neccesary but for 2 hours with a plasma cutter and a grinder and its unique and your own

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/knoxville9/PICT0606.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/knoxville9/rebuild%20etc/PICT0602.jpg

John Noftsinger
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
did my own gussets aswell cost me 50 bucks went to metal shop and got pieces and cut them myself then payed friend to weld them on then painted frame .theres gussets on bottom of frame the Z marks it location there,s two at upper shock and if you can see the cross member,s in front end there,s more but you cant see