PDA

View Full Version : outlaw carrier bearing change

atvrider93
02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
well, first of all, I'm new here. I cant figure out how to do this I'm sure someone on here has fixed this on their outlaw. I have a 2006 500 and I tore the sprocket side CV boot and the bearings are gone so I need to change both of those things. I think I need to remove the brake side boot to get the carrier apart but I'm not exactly sure. If so, how would I do that without tearing the perfectly good boot? I also can't get the snap ring out to take the CV joint apart. any tips on either of those 2 things?

sleddog66
02-28-2010, 07:22 AM
There is a complete "how to " on polarisriders.com for changing boots. Beyond that, there is a thick snapring that holds the hub halves together. once you get the cv joints out, you will see. You can do this job "in Frame" or "out of frame", by pulling the whole assembly with upper and lower bolts. There is also a post on how to make the rear bearings greaseable on polaris riders.

Your other question on the snap ring. You are not taking apart the outer joint are you? You only need to pull the inner joint from the hub...you can leave it on the axle if the joint and boot are OK.

atvrider93
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I have the whole axle assembly out. I see a snap ring holding the inner CV joint in on the left side because thats the boot I have to change anyway. I have a feeling I have to take the other side off also though.

Outlaw6;=-
02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I tried to find the post on polaris riders but couldn't. But when i needed to change mine that post made it simple to change not only the boots but bearings also. I also added a grease zerk on 1 side of the bearing carrier and a release valve on the other. i did this 2 years ago and my rear bearings are still in great shape, and i ride my bike about 10-20 hours a week. So it would be a wise choice to add a grease zerk to the carrier. It is a real pain in the *** to change the rear bearings !!! I bought the outlaw service manual it also shows how to take the rear end apart.

atvrider93
02-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I cant even figure out how to get the good boot out without tearing it up

atvrider93
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
ok, now my problem is the snap ring holding the CV joint in on both sides. I cant get those out for the life of me

Outlaw6;=-
02-28-2010, 04:32 PM
If i could remember exactly how i got mine off i would explain how i did it but it's been to long to remember exactly how i did it. sorry.

somewon
03-01-2010, 06:38 AM
the snap rings on these machines are a pain in the @ss, but I doubt one will ever fail.