PDA

View Full Version : CVT transmissions on a sport quad for XC racing?

Dustin_Drews
02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Now before everyone says CVT's suck and there for people that do not how to use a clutch ect ect ect... This is not about that what you prefer!
I am being serous here...
I am thinking about building my own hybrid quad with a CVT transmission to use for harescrambles and endurance races.
Now I know that CVT transmissions have there place in the world they have been used for years on snowmobiles and they have pretty much taken over the Jr dragster seen, the UTV seen and they are even used in radio controlled cars!
I am wondering why people have not used them on 2 wheel drive sport race quads? The set up I am thinking is using a Fugi engine from a polarirs 400 scrambler.
Now being a 2 stroke it would be simple and being a 400 it should make good power and be pretty light. I could get 60hp really easy from what I have read?
I know the downside of the two strokes is the HIT of the powerband... But with the CV tranny you never feel it on a snowmobile so that should not be an issue on a quad and also eliminates the need for a powervalve.
Another benefit of of the cvt tranny and a 2 stroke engine is you completely eliminate all oil changes!
Because you have no engine or tranny to lube.
The down side that I can think of right now is free wheeling and no compression braking. With that being said everyone is switching to the recluse and loving it so this should not be an issue!
Another thought is you could have a rear had brake in place of the clutch for feathering the rear brake!
Fatigue is the big killer in these races and with out shifting and clutching I think it would take alot of strain off of the driver so he could drive!
Also I think you would get more traction to the ground with the set up instead of dropping the clutch on a hill and spinning out?
What are the down sides that I am overlooking?
Thanks for your time and input! Please do not hate me for trying to ruin your sport quads!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews
:D