PDA

View Full Version : Crank seals out. new crankshaft?

Trxracr
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
well i drained my oil and the engine oil was red (I run honda HP-Trans in the tranny) im guessing the seals are shot its an 05 its been ridden/raced every weekend since new in 06 should i put a new crank in with the new bearings/seals or should it be okay? also is there anywhere that can rebuild the stocker? thanks

WB450r
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
i have a 05 and i jus got my motor rebuilt for the first time this winter and i got a new crank and all new bearings..i would say get a new crank and bearings cuz when your old crank breaks the whole motor would be ruined..jus my .02

Latemodel32
02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
pull your oil filter out and see if there is metal shavings in it if there is your crank bearings are on there way out.

Ruf Racing
02-28-2010, 07:02 AM
If you are running the original 05' crank, and you need to change
the seals, do yourself a favor, replace the crank. You were lucky
to get this far without crank or rod bearing failure. Good luck! :D

Trxracr
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
thanks for the input yes it is the original crank and the last two years its gotten two new top ends with 13.5-1 pistons so yeah a new crank is probly a good idea thanks again

859davidt
03-02-2010, 05:33 AM
I have an updated crank, but honda does not offer the new larger seal by itself. Does anyone know where to find just the seal?

Ruf Racing
03-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 859davidt
I have an updated crank, but honda does not offer the new larger seal by itself. Does anyone know where to find just the seal?

Did you buy the updated crank new from Honda? Because they would have to supply the new seal. I recently purchased a updated HR crank, the seals come with the crank.

859davidt
03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes, I have everything. I am looking down the road if I was to need a new seal or bearing. Honda does not offer it seperately. At least my local Honda shop didn't offer it nor did Troy Honda.

ricks450
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
U can just get the new larger seal. got mine from Casey Cycle City in VA. i bought the hot rod crank and cut my own bearing retainer (not sure proper name for retainer) and i just bought the seal. becuz i didnt want hondas crank. I wanted a rebuildable crank. u can get the seal alone u just cant get the retainer alone. got to get there crank to get retainer. unless sometings change that i dont know of.

ricks450
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ricks450
U can just get the new larger seal. got mine from Casey Cycle City in VA. i bought the hot rod crank and cut my own bearing retainer (not sure proper name for retainer) and i just bought the seal. becuz i didnt want hondas crank. I wanted a rebuildable crank. u can get the seal alone u just cant get the retainer alone. got to get there crank to get retainer. unless somethings change that i dont know of. also i think its the same crank as the old one. thats y they made a retainer. they just made a retainer to tighten up the inner bearing race on the crank. it is cheaper 4 them 2 make a retainer then 2 make a whole new crank. and if they did make a new crank u wouldnt need the retainer. the early model 05s had this problem. they started putting the retro kit in the later released 05s. i got the specs. on the retainer if u know someone who can cut u 1. and i might b able 2 get some cut out 4 some people on here if needed.

859davidt
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the help, I called Baldwin and Dasa and they both have the seals if anyone is looking. They said they get theres straight from honda.