PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

400exrider69
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm rebuilding my 2000 kx 125 and took my motor over to a freinds house to spilt cases to replace main seal and a bearing. I go to garage to get a tool and come up and he's got shifter shaft out and i'm like WTF he's like it's no big deal. Foward to today i'm putting large clutch/water pump cover and i slid it on and he installed the shifter shaft that he shouldn't of messed with wrong when i pushed it on it bent the case and i put bolts in and put a huge crack in it. I called him and told him he owes me $160 for new case and paying for the bearings that need pressed since i just had all this work done yesterday to it.

Am i in the wrong here There was absoutly no reason to have shifter shaft out i said not to removed it. He still removed and tossed it around and put it back in WRONG which i didn't know when putting case on.

chucked
02-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Ok.... removing the shifter shaft is part of splitting the cases..... You would have had a very difficult time if you didn't. Besides that, how can you install it wrong? You said yourself when "you" installed it, it bent the case... bent the case??

400exrider69
02-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I split the cases to change shifter and sproket seal and to replace main seal inbetween cases. I pulled it apart on the stator side it was only apart 10 minutes it went back on easily there was no need to removed the shifter shaft i had clutch assembly off and that's when shifter shaft was removed. I said not to removed and he messed with it and put it in wrong where it wasn't all the way in there. Stuck out 1/16 or so more than it was supposed to when putting on side cover and pushed it on there it bent case that goes over clutch cover. and when i put the bolts in it finished cracking the side cover that started when it got bent up. All of this is because of the shifter shaft that I told not to mess with then was installed wrong

chucked
02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
so you didn't split the cases, you just had the clutch cover off. If it was me I still wouldn't blame the other guy 100%, your the one that reassembled it. Its not all his fault you assembled it wrong.

400exrider69
02-27-2010, 04:21 PM
i had cases split and replaced main seal and He removed shifter shaft when i had clutch basket off after cases were back togather
the point i see is that i Asked him not to removed it and he still proceded to do so which as soon as i placed case cover back on it bent case then cracked it

it'd be like saying you wanted a 5 spark plug then giving you an 8 in a 5 box installing it and destroying a piston i had no idea that it was installed wrong i didn't know it was wrong until afterwards it was 1/16 sticking out to much

chucked
02-27-2010, 04:35 PM
You dont have to split the cases to replace the main seal, which I guess you're talking about the output shaft seal?

400exrider69
02-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I replaced the sprocket seal and resealed the main cases where they meet in the middle because i had a slight amount of oil from bottom

chucked
02-27-2010, 10:19 PM
You don't have to split the cases to replace any seal on that engine.

chucked
02-27-2010, 10:20 PM
unless your talking about the gasket?

Rich250RRacer
02-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider69
I split the cases to change shifter and sproket seal and to replace main seal inbetween cases. I pulled it apart on the stator side it was only apart 10 minutes it went back on easily there was no need to removed the shifter shaft i had clutch assembly off and that's when shifter shaft was removed. I said not to removed and he messed with it and put it in wrong where it wasn't all the way in there. Stuck out 1/16 or so more than it was supposed to when putting on side cover and pushed it on there it bent case that goes over clutch cover. and when i put the bolts in it finished cracking the side cover that started when it got bent up. All of this is because of the shifter shaft that I told not to mess with then was installed wrong

Unfortunately everything here is pointing to you. The shifter shaft has to be removed to do the work you described, along with many more parts. It is your responsibilty to make sure everything is installed correctly when you begin reassembly, and to make sure you know what you're doing. No offence, apparently you don't, but you will learn. When installing the clutch cover, or any cover, or reassembling cases, make sure everything seats flush. You should not have to force them together, and you should NEVER USE THE BOLTS TO PULL THEM TOGETHER. You will learn from your mistakes, you will learn to use a service manual, this would have saved you a lot of headaches. I have literally rebuilt hundreds of motors, and I still use manuals.

400exrider69
02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
i changed both after cases were reassembled. i just spilt and repaced seal between both engine halves i've done work on tons of car and tractor motor's and a fair ammount on 2 strokes first time i've had some one pull shifter shaft out and install wrong which you couldn't tell it was out like 1/16 you coudn't even tell it bent the side cover and started crack when i had to push it over kick starter shaft because seal is very thick

kids supposed to be paying for it but we'll see

KXRida
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
i had cases split and replaced main seal and He removed shifter shaft when i had clutch basket off after cases were back togather
the point i see is that i Asked him not to removed it and he still proceded to do so which as soon as i placed case cover back on it bent case then cracked it

it'd be like saying you wanted a 5 spark plug then giving you an 8 in a 5 box installing it and destroying a piston i had no idea that it was installed wrong i didn't know it was wrong until afterwards it was 1/16 sticking out to much

Ironically a spark plug with the heat range of 5 would do more damage than a heat range of 8. Pick a better analogy.

400exrider69
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
that's all i could think of at the time lol

chucked
03-01-2010, 05:51 AM
You keep repeating yourself because you want someone to give you the answer you want to hear. So far its not looking good for you.

chucked
03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Also, you are an idiot and should not be turning wrenches if you don't look at your spark plug before installing it.

derekhonda
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by chucked
Also, you are an idiot and should not be turning wrenches if you don't look at your spark plug before installing it.

Damn man wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

I'll echo everyone else's comments, your buddy did nothing wrong. Hell, he even lent you his garage space to help you out. Your mistake, and $160 bucks isn't worth losing a friend over.

Exrider434
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda

I'll echo everyone else's comments, your buddy did nothing wrong. Hell, he even lent you his garage space to help you out. Your mistake, and $160 bucks isn't worth losing a friend over.

I agree, not worth losin a freind over

chucked
03-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda

No. I needed to get my point across. And it wasn't working. So I needed to go extreme...

400exrider69
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
he's supposed to have money by the end of the week

it was an anogly with the spark plugs. I know what spark plug goes for what.
I've worked on alot of diffent bikes and motor's. The whole point of this was some one elese's stupidity caused this.
I probly shoudn't of put bolts it but you gotta under stand there was very little clearence and it was figuring it to pop on down when it did tension on bolts finished cracked it. The side cover got bent when it was pushed on over kick starter cover and smacked against shifter rod that was out 1/16 to far Which is the point of this someone else thought they were funny to mess with it and install it wrong

If i was working on an item for someone else and it broke because of my Fault i'd gladly pay for it i'd just wish other's would do the same

Pipeless416
03-01-2010, 12:35 PM
you assumed that it would just pop in place. i say its your fault for using a friend, screwing up, and then blaming him when you should have investigated why it was binding in the first place. YOU took the engine back without visually inspecting it. YOU forced the cover on. YOU cracked it. YOU are the shady friend here.

400exrider69
03-01-2010, 01:05 PM
my friend admitted he should of listened and not removed part THE only reason i was at his place to do this is because my tools are loaned out and need his set that night. Some how this makes me sound like a bad freind,mechanic etc
He's buying new parts i'll post pics of the assembly there was no way when putting cover on and popping it over kick starter shaft you could tell it was out more than it was supposed to be

Rich250RRacer
03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
my friend admitted he should of listened and not removed part THE only reason i was at his place to do this is because my tools are loaned out and need his set that night. Some how this makes me sound like a bad freind,mechanic etc
He's buying new parts i'll post pics of the assembly there was no way when putting cover on and popping it over kick starter shaft you could tell it was out more than it was supposed to be

What's your buddy's phone number, I want to tell him you're trying to f--k him over. :devil: I won't do that, but you've had more than one person with experience tell you that it wasn't his fault. If you can sleep soundly at night with this decision, by all means take his money.