PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a radiator?

Velvet-Casket
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I just bought a 310 kit with the trx 9 porting from esr and im waiting on it to come in. I will have a cr 250 ignition also. And the usual pipe,reeds,38mm airstyker carb. I was thinking maybe yes on the radiator but i never heard anyone say how many cc's it should be when you upgrade. It would be nice to not have to spend $400 on a radiator, but overheating this badboy is not an option. Thanks

IcutMetl
02-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I don't have any personal experience with bigger radiators, but I would think you'd be ok. I'm sure there are a lot of guys running mid-sized bore kits on stock radiators w/o a problem. It may not hurt to measure the temps in a few spots to be sure- possibly an in-line gauge with the cooling fins?? I would think that if you kept your compression reasonable and had your jetting tuned in good, that heat would be managable. I know this; my motor never ran hot, but when I used Engine Ice instead of coolant, it made a difference. Red Line Water Wetter is another good product; used that in my ZX10...the cooling fan on that was ALWAYS coming on at long stop lights and the watter wetter tamed it right down.

1promodfan
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Velvet-Casket
I just bought a 310 kit with the trx 9 porting from esr and im waiting on it to come in. I will have a cr 250 ignition also. And the usual pipe,reeds,38mm airstyker carb. I was thinking maybe yes on the radiator but i never heard anyone say how many cc's it should be when you upgrade. It would be nice to not have to spend $400 on a radiator, but overheating this badboy is not an option. Thanks

I'm gonna say no. Reason is, I have a 310 and I don't have any overheating issues. I ride a LOT in the summer, and I live in the south and believe me........it get really hot and humid here. I ride when its 94*+, and my stock rad is O.K. Me personally, unless you're going on a hot desert ride or something those oversized/overpriced radiators are just not really needed.

danhung11
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I am kind of concerned as well, same motor setup. I think it would be different if you were putting around in technical trails or on a mx track.

Velvet-Casket
02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Awesome guys, i had no idea the stock radiator was that good. If your 94 degrees is like louisiana and texas i know how hot that is. Humidity here is awful. I am really surprised the radiator is that good. Thanks guys.

red88r
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
My Dad's Duncan 340pv still has the stock radiator and it works great. We always run engine ice in all of our quads with inline coolers and have no problems....and we have ran it pretty hard on some mx tracks. But also just remember to always keep the fins free and clean of mud or whatever you run in.

Velvet-Casket
02-28-2010, 09:44 AM
ok thanks guys, you really have helped alot.

Velvet-Casket
02-28-2010, 09:44 AM
ok thanks guys, you really have helped alot.