PDA

View Full Version : HMF pipe on stock 400..opinions

jasonkazz
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Hello All,
Wanted to get some opinions on the HMF slip-on pipe. My bike is stock and after some research I found out that I can increase the torque by about 9ft/lbs after the pipe and jetting. HP increases are about 4hp in the low to mid range and I can run with my airbox lid on or off I just have to change the main jet size. Wondering if anybody has the pipe and if they like it? Any help would be appreciated.

Looking to get more torque for the hill climbs than hp.

bk111
02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
HMF slip ons are great however those numbers seem inflated. You will feel a difference.

jasonkazz
02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bk111
HMF slip ons are great however those numbers seem inflated. You will feel a difference.
bk111,
Numbers came right from the website. Not sure if they are inflated or not. Numbers came off the dyno so not sure they would post them if not accurate. But I wouldn't be suprised in order to get the sale.

mineralgrey01gt
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
its a nice exhaust, i cant tell you how exhaust helps or not since mine had it on there when i bought it. I wouldnt mind switching to a HMF

bk111
02-26-2010, 05:24 PM
OK, sorry for my opinion. Manufacturers never exaggerate numbers.....do what you want.

chucked
02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by bk111
OK, sorry for my opinion. Manufacturers never exaggerate numbers.....do what you want.

LOL. I am a firm believer that a slip on only will not gain any noticeable power.

jasonkazz
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by chucked
LOL. I am a firm believer that a slip on only will not gain any noticeable power.

Yea...touchy I guess....Thanks for the reply. That's what I'm looking for "opinions" before I go and drop the cash or stick with the restricted, stock exhaust set up.

Thanks again!!!!!

honda01400ex
02-27-2010, 07:46 AM
the yoshi pipes are real good and so is the fmf titanium 4 is great i have that and i love it!!

IcutMetl
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I agree on the Yoshimura pipe; I had that RS3 on my 400 at first and switched it out for an HMF. Now this was years ago when HMF's were first starting to become popular on the 400 and I was sorry I put it on. The ONLY area I noticed any positive increase over the Yoshimura was low end grunt, but it lost power everywhere else. The motor was jetted correctly with each slip on, and I just found that the Yosh was a much better fit and finish and much better performing across the rev range. At the time I rode with friends that had the Supertrapp IDS2 and the Pro Circuit T4; those were also nice pipes- the T4 being louder. I know a lot of people on here really like HMF, and that was part of the reason why I bought one at the time- as well as them being an Ohio manufacturer...but I'll never own another one.

And I'm a firm believer that you DO see a noticable gain in HP from a slip on. Sure; not as much as a full system may give, but most guys may not have the motor work to truly justify a full headpipe.