PDA

View Full Version : air box and cdi box

Rscarpantonio
02-26-2010, 07:53 AM
what do you guys think is the best air box, i want to relocate everything inside it and would like to fit a bussa battery in it
also
what cdi box is best for reliability and preformance?
any help is welcome

josh25ex
02-26-2010, 08:34 AM
i would go with a CFM airbox i have one now that relocates everything the battery, start solenoid, and your volitage box. i got it for 60 plus shipping it was 75 form ebay and they make them per order so it takes like 5-7 days to get it. because they have to make it, really nice welds though worth the wait. For a cdi i went with big guns havent had a problem and have had it for a year. i believe its 1000-1200 rpms over for 80 bucks well worth it.

buggieman48
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I just bought a high output coil w/ stage 3 cdi combo from gear-junkies on ebay...$130..they sell cdi boxes in 3 different stages depending on what mods you have done on your bike.. the stage3 has a 3 or 4 degree timing advance built in so no need for the advance degree key.. love the thing only cdi on the market w/ a 2 year warranty...most reasonibly priced also..

bkelley
03-03-2010, 01:46 PM
In my opinion, aftermarket CDIs for the EXs are just a waste of money. The EX produces the majority of its power in the low to mid ranges. If you want more top end, go up a tooth on your front sprocket, go down in the rear, get bigger rear tires, et cetera. Increasing the rev isn't going to make much of a difference at all. Aftermarket coils are a good, though.

buggieman48
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
There is more to a cdi then not having a rev. limiter.. i hit my rev. limitor maybe twice in 4 years before a cdi..not saying its the way to go.. ive seen the 4 and 6 degree advance ran years ago when people around here tried them...wasnt impressed...but everyone is due a opinion...i agree hondas dont have alot of topend power thats why i never had to hit a rev limitor..my bike didnt have the bottom end torgue I needed for the hillclimbs here so i choose to try something new...wasnt pushing a cdi in the first place but was mentioning a more economical brand that worked just as well or better for half the price of others..with the only 2 year warranty on the market...

bkelley
03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
The topic is on CDIs, so I expressed my opinion on CDIs. My post wasn't directed towards you at all. If you want to advance the timing, replacing the key is way to go. A lot cheaper.

JOHNDOE83
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I bought a white bros rev box for 80, and its the best Ive used so far.

Ive used a magnum, stock, big gun, white bros and there has been a signifigant difference in each one....

Unfortunatlly, I agree with bkelly, the only reason is unless your doing some type of racing where that extra 1200 rpms are truly needed, like drag or street racing, ice racing etc.. that 1200 doesnt do a whole lot. You could easily just change your gearing or something....most people ride without enough gearing and dont even realize it, and never really hit the limiter anyway. Even I rarely hit max rev.

The only reason why I chose the white bros overall is when getting into that extra 1200 rpms the white bros doesnt lag, the others in my opinion, would rev nicely till that last 1200rpms then seem to slow down a lil bit, each one in a different way....In my opinion.

I know you want to relocate your stuff, I dont use an airbox, but was thinking of just moving the mounts for everything battery related to the inside of the frame for more balance.

Rscarpantonio
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
thank you for all of your guys help, im not really doing much racing jsut messin around on trails but i like the top end for the long dirt roads on the way to the trails :)

So the CFM airbox is the way to go? has anyone fit a busa battery in one and i also have a k&n cone filter that reaches almost to the back of the stock airbox wil lall of this fit ?
i know i probably jsut opended a whole can of worms about K&N and UNI but lets not turn it into one of those threads lol

H400DAN2004
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
who makes the best performance coil for the 400ex?

i run a CFM air box too and its AWESOME.

Wheelie
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
CDI's are garbage unless it's from TC racing or GT Thunder. I have nearly every power mod available for an EX except a CDI and for good reason. Buy a timing key, they're cheaper, offer better gains and are more reliable than a rev box.

The busa battery is the same size as the EX battery, just 1lb heavier. Part #YT12AB-S

Rscarpantonio
03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
really? then i dont have a busa battery the battery i have was about an inch taller than the stocker and i had to make a custom bracket from a hurrican strap