PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Cat 150 Speed limiter removal??

Pa Dirt Eater
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I just purchased a leftover 2009 Arctic cat 150. The owners manual says that is limited at the factory for 20 mph, 30 mph, and with all limiters removed 38 mph. The owners Manual does not state how to remove them. I acquired a Shop manual and it also says nothing. The dealer didn't know how to remove them. I saw a youtube video from arctic cat and it said that there are 2 limiters in the clutch. Anyone know how to remove them??? The thing is stuck only being able to reach 20 mph. I am guessing it is some sort of spacers?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MTDman11
02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
ya its easy. my friend broight it to our local shop. tell them there are spacers in the clutch you need to remove. theres like 2 or 3 i forget but it goes like 40 now. they should be able to do it now problem

Pa Dirt Eater
02-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I did alot of searching on other forums and I found a step by step guide. I figured I'd post it here so anyone here with a 2009-2010 Arctic Cat 150 could benefit.

1. Remove the black plastic mud flap/shrowd/foot compartment from the left side of the machine. Remove the vent hoses from the front and rear of the side cover. Remove the kick starter by removing the retaining bolt and slide it off.

2. Remove the several small 8mm bolts around the left side cover (CVT cover), then carefully pull out on the cover until it comes off. Be aware there is a paper gasket between the side cover and the case, so be careful not to rip it when removing the cover. Now you should see what is in picture 3. Set the side cover aside in a safe spot, and notice the front CVT pulley. There is a 17mm nut on the pulley that will need to be removed with an impact wrench, or other appropriate air tool.

3. After removing the nut, pull the small spacer off the shaft, then the outside half of the CVT pulley. The two spacers between the halves of the pulley (brass color and black) are the restrictors. Remove both of these.

4. Replace the outside half of the CVT pulley, then the small outside spacer with splines. Replace the nut on the shaft and tighten (with a wrench or socket and ratchet, NOT with the impact wrench)

5. Carefully replace the side cover and tighten the bolts evenly to preserve the gasket.

6. Replace the vent hoses, then the side plastic shrowd and tighten all the bolts appropriately.

Afterthoughts:

1. I take no responsibility if you choose to remove the speed limiters and your child is not ready to go that fast. I suggest you let him/her get used to the machine before you follow any of my above instructions.

2. Arctic cat claims the machine can be limited at 20, 30, and 38 mph. I believe if you remove just 1 of the spacers, it will be at 30, remove both, it should be able to go 38.

3. This is a great little machine, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a child skilled enough to ride it. It is a good transition machine for those children who have outgrown the 50, but not yet big enough for a 250 or 300 class machine.

This is an easy project that took less than 1 hr.