PDA

View Full Version : Hauler 10 paddle on a TRX450R is it too much ??

loren washburn
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I just picked up some Skat Trak Hauler's 22x11x10 10 paddle off of Craigslist (Not extreme haulers) .I get them home ,and tell my buddy what I got ,and he said that it will be too much paddle for my quad .It's a 05 trx450r ,with the Honda HRC hop up kit .Other than that ,it is stock .
Has anyone out there ran a 10 paddle on a simular quad ?If so ,how did it do ?I know that different areas have different sand ,Ill be riding at the Oregon dunes with them ,it can be fairly soft there .
Based on what I find out from you guys ,I may see if anyone wants to trade for a 8 paddle .Anyway ,any input would be appreciated .
Thanks

Oz24
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Your probably just going to have to ride and see if you like it. My buddy has some 8 paddle haulers that he loves, and I rode last year in Florence. I like them and he wanted me to go with them but i went with the Sandstars. They fit my budget better at the time. Its all about preference. Who knows you might like em.

loren washburn
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Thats kinda what Im thinking .Not heading out there till July .Ill be curious how they work .
Thanks

cmmick
02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I ran 6 paddles . . . loved them, but have to sell them :(

kenny450er
02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
i have a 2006 trx450er with the same tire you will be fine in soft powdery sand if you run in heavy or wet sand or dirt it will bog some if you are running stock gearing. i went to a 13/42 and it works great .

loren washburn
02-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Cool ,thanks .So going down that 1 tooth helped quite a bit ?

nskukalek79
02-26-2010, 08:35 AM
he went up 4 in the back, stayed stock in the front. But it would be pretty close to going down one in the front

chevys&honda$
02-26-2010, 09:49 AM
10 paddle will work fine, but 8 paddle is better for kinda stocker 450's, I would only put a 10 paddle on a banshee..........

Saleenster
02-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Will they work, YES, but that does not mean your bike will be running effeciently. 10 paddle for an HRC only honda is too much...you will be replacing clutches much more frequent...I run 22x11x8 7 paddle SLS..

RallySoob
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
my trx450r came with 20x10x10 10paddle extreme haulers and they were brand new. 1st ride at the dunes was enough to tell I was getting way to much traction, and yours will get even more than mine did because your running 22's. I went to a 20x10x10 8 paddle hauler and its worlds better. I would get so much traction with the 10 paddle tires that I could not shoot up a hill if I were already on the side of the hill because the traction would bring the front end up so fast you couldnt tame it and if you did it would kill any power you actually got to the ground. Not too mention you couldn't slide the *** around on the trails because it got way too much traction. Bottom line is you need 8 paddle haulers or less for all around riding. For drag racing on the flats those 10 paddle haulers could be used to your advantage, but thats about it. Less paddles let the wheels slip more which in turn lets your engine rpms stay at the top, less resistance on the motor so you go faster. That applies to hill shooting ofcourse. less paddle equals better handling. I would keep them for drag racing peeps on the flats, 2nd gear launches are gonna suffer a lil with the 10 paddles but you can work it right to get a mean launch with all that extra traction

atv fan 28
03-03-2010, 09:13 PM
a little off topic but i talked with a few guys and they love running 6 paddle Padla Brats, especially for hill shooting. they weigh less than the haulers but they are expensive.

cmmick
03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
yep, I found the same info - brats the best but too expensive, that why I bought the 6 paddle haulers. They gave me plenty bite, without robbing hp, and are so light . . . did I mention they are for sale =)

Wayner
03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by loren washburn
I just picked up some Skat Trak Hauler's 22x11x10 10 paddle off of Craigslist (Not extreme haulers) .I get them home ,and tell my buddy what I got ,and he said that it will be too much paddle for my quad .It's a 05 trx450r ,with the Honda HRC hop up kit .Other than that ,it is stock .
Has anyone out there ran a 10 paddle on a simular quad ?If so ,how did it do ?I know that different areas have different sand ,Ill be riding at the Oregon dunes with them ,it can be fairly soft there .
Based on what I find out from you guys ,I may see if anyone wants to trade for a 8 paddle .Anyway ,any input would be appreciated .
Thanks

Too much in my opinion. I run 22x11 tires with 8 paddles on a modded Banshee ande that's enough. If you keep them, gear down and stay up on the tank.

450rJam
03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
it also depends on your weight

if your a buck twenty you will be ok

if your 320 its going to bog

you can compensate some with gearing

what type duning you like? 10 paddle is going to have more drag if you like to do alot of high speed running

Sejanes
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
In the last 2 months I have been trying different tire combinations to see what works best for me.

I had some old sand shark 20x11x10 8 paddles on the quad to start with. These were great for playing around all last year. I just suffered a bit of traction loss on launches.

I ran some 22x11x10 10 paddle haulers at the end of January for a day. These changed the 'gearing' quite a bit because of the tire height. I had to drop one tooth in the front and it was ok after that, maybe just a hair too low geared . Great for climbing any trail I pointed it at, I could just crawl up in 1st gear if I wanted to. Sufferred quite a bit on the top end though. The extra height is definitely a plus on the tight twisty trails.

Next I tried a pair of 20x10x10 8 paddles extreme haulers. These weren't much better than the 8 paddle sand sharks. The back end definitely tried to come around more when side hilling. But they were pretty good, maybe a bit better on launches.

This last weekend I tried a pair of 20x10x10 9 paddle extreme haulers. My favorite so far. I was dead even on the launch with a buddy on a yamaha 450 that used to pull a length on me at the start with his 10 paddles. He would then get a length on me anyway, but hey, he is only about 125lbs and I'm 210 so I'm ok with that. ;) I think I was shifting to 3rd a little late too.

Based on these tests, the 20x10x10 9 paddle was best for me. 22s were too tall for all over riding and the 8 paddles weren't quite enough traction. Based on how I felt with the 9 paddles I would say 10 would be a bit too much grip for my weight. If you're the same as my buddy on the yamaha though 10s would probably be fine.

I have an 07 trx450, hotcams sII, FMF Q4 muffler and megabomb, K&N filter and power lid, main jet of 175 i think. Stock gears. All of these test were made in Florence on fairly dry sand.

fasterblaster09
05-13-2010, 05:46 AM
great...I wish I would have seen/read this thread before I bought my paddles last night. I bought some 10 paddles dominator skat trac extremes (dont know what order to say it lol), they are 22in. all I have on my bike is full curtis sparks, dynatec chip, and open k&n filter on my bike. and I weigh 180, and just want to drag race at the dunes (300ft)

fasterblaster09
05-13-2010, 05:56 AM
what if I put a cam? will it make up enough of the difference? by the end of the summer I plan on getting it ported, and ptting a cam sooner. I'd rather not sell these, they are brand new and shiny lol

and cmmick, how much shipped to 70526? still need some for my girlfriend 400ex

Sejanes
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Fasterblaster09, just increasing your rear sprocket by a couple teeth will probably get the gearing back to what you are used to and you may really like the tires then. Probably have to get a new chain as well, I haven't changed my rear sprocket so I don't know how much adjustment you will have to make.