PDA

View Full Version : Need a comparison

Syrus
01-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Well i just sold my 2001 250ex about 1 hour ago for $5000.00 CDN and im planing on buying a 400ex next but i was thinking of a comparison to a z400..

Does anyone have a comparison or chart with all details of a 400ex and z400 ? With all advantages and disadvantages, details, or anything like that ? What do u guys think, i love my Honda's and im realling leaninig towards a 400ex, what do u guys think ? Also can everyone post there sweet 400ex & z400 rides pls !

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Most say the Z has a slight edge in power over a 400ex, but their not too far off. Both handle great, but I personally think the EX has the upper edge since the Z's have a sort of high feeling to them. I personally like the EX more, especially after hearing about the Z's frame being weak...I had quite a few people tell me about that recently. Although the MSRP of both quads are the same, you should be able to find a 400ex for much cheaper...I managed to, and so have quite a few others I know. Both are great quads, so either one will be an excellant choice.

raptor_02
01-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Most say the Z has a slight edge in power over a 400ex, but their not too far off. Both handle great, but I personally think the EX has the upper edge since the Z's have a sort of high feeling to them. I personally like the EX more, especially after hearing about the Z's frame being weak...I had quite a few people tell me about that recently. Although the MSRP of both quads are the same, you should be able to find a 400ex for much cheaper...I managed to, and so have quite a few others I know. Both are great quads, so either one will be an excellant choice. I AGREE. I got mine for 5200 + 300 bonus bucks for my PIPE so really it was just 4900. Also if your POWER HUNGRY look into a CANNIBAL. Those things will destroy a Z400 or 400ex. But if you just plan on trail riding and not racing go with the HONDA

Syrus
01-24-2003, 08:40 PM
ya im gonna be doing a lot of trail riding, only thing i dont like is NO REVERSE !! oh well... but i'll be doing a little bit of racing on tracks and stuff time to time.

By the way, does the 400ex have a kick starter or even a pull started other then the electric start ?

Syrus
01-25-2003, 09:52 AM
bump

raptor_02
01-25-2003, 10:43 AM
no back up starter, but u won't need one though. They are a little hard to start in WINTER but mine has cranked up everytime. Reverse you really won't need either. I mean there's times you will always need reverse but you can manage without it.

freakystone
01-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Here we go again. When I answer to these type posts, I get accussed of bashing everyone's 400EX's but here goes...

For the record, I have had both machines and could care less what brand it is. Advantages are advantages no matter who makes it.

- Retail price: Both $5699
- Lowest retail price I have seen: 400EX $4495 or Z400 $4595. I paid $4954 OTD for mine.
- Seat height - Same. Dont believe the hype about the Z being higher... It isnt.
- Handling: Same... At least very similar. I like how people say that Suzuki copied the frame to a T but then say the 400EX handles better.
- Suspension: Same... Showa sucks!
- Motor: Z hands down... Liquid cooling vs. air, dual cams vs. single, 11:1 compression ratio vs. 9:1.
- Tranny: Z... Much smoother. And dont forget about reverse.
- Power and Speed: Z by a little in stock form. A stock Z has the power of a piped and jetted, 416 with Hotcams. Do the same improvements to a Z and you have Raptor power. Bump to a 500 big bore and you have Dale power. A 400EX will never have Dale power without NOS.
- Looks: EX looks better. The Z looks like a yellow Raptor. Although a yellow EX looks like Big Bird from Sesame Street.
- Reliability: EX. No question.
- Incidentals: The Z seat is nicer. The stock tires on the Z are better but get XCR's anyway. The swing arm on the EX is better. The chain adjustment on the EX is better. The battery placement on the Z is much better. The clutch on the Z is so nice (much better than even a Magura hydo on a Dale). Used EX's can be had for under $3K. The choke placement is better on the Z. The Z is about 4 lbs. lighter. The axle is better on the EX.

Good luck.

Syrus
01-25-2003, 11:16 AM
freakystone that is just the info ive been looking for, thanks man it helped a lot.

Rip_Tear
01-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Good luck getting a new quad! :D There are some awsome deals out there for ya Syrus, I payed less money then you sold your 250ex for, before taxes... You should be able to find a 400ex for price, I know up here the Z's are quite a bit more expensive then the EX. I like both really though, I wasn't worried about reverse though, the EX is light enough to throw around if need be.

Syrus
01-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Good luck getting a new quad! :D There are some awsome deals out there for ya Syrus, I payed less money then you sold your 250ex for, before taxes... You should be able to find a 400ex for price, I know up here the Z's are quite a bit more expensive then the EX. I like both really though, I wasn't worried about reverse though, the EX is light enough to throw around if need be.

ya i just found 2 sweet deals, new 400ex, piped, new bars,skid plate and uni filter for $5900, and a Showroom Z with yoshimira pipe (SP) um.. ton of mods $6000 so im not sure, gonna phone em later ! but i love the ex so much and i do a lot od mud wrestling so i hope reverse isnt needed :)

OG350
01-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
ya i just found 2 sweet deals, new 400ex, piped, new bars,skid plate and uni filter for $5900, and a Showroom Z with yoshimira pipe (SP) um.. ton of mods $6000 so im not sure, gonna phone em later ! but i love the ex so much and i do a lot od mud wrestling so i hope reverse isnt needed :) Why buy an ex when u can get a z for $100 more. The z will respond better to mods since it's water cooled unlike the ex that will lose power on say a hotter day do to the engine getting to hot.

Syrus
01-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by OG350
Why buy an ex when u can get a z for $100 more. The z will respond better to mods since it's water cooled unlike the ex that will lose power on say a hotter day do to the engine getting to hot.

Because its a long way away from where in live, not so fun to drive 5 hours just for that.. still checking out deals. Z maybe a lil better, but ex is so much more reliable

Syrus
01-26-2003, 11:28 AM
bump !