PDA

View Full Version : Slippers

nitrofish
02-25-2010, 06:55 AM
I am curious as to who is running slipper sprockets and/or slipper clutches. I am personally running a DRR slipper sprocket and it works for now. I don't want to start a war about copies of this or that, but what brands do you feel work the best. I see some fast kids running nada, but I'm not that brave with my little air gouger!

:chinese: I thought this smiley was a biker dude, but it says he's chinese?

selbygirl
02-25-2010, 08:09 AM
we went thru 3 sets of tranny gears and he lets off the gas when he lands we put a 20 tooth apex slipper sprocket and a dave carter tranny set up on the case with a double roller gear so far it has bin holding up. most peaple we race have the slipper sprocket seems to work well the sprocket and is good insurance and its a lot cheaper then buying gears tranny cover and sometimes the engine case seeya tommy

edwardsp&b
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
i havent dove into the slipper clutch. but i can tell you we shredded two trannys until we went with the slipper sprocket. he still lands on the gas, but we havent had any problems with tranny in a year or two. The double roller bearing assy from DC and a slipper sprocket and you'll be fine.
bryan

#404's Dad
02-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I run My Own Slipper Clutches, Yep they were copied from Suzuki by Hetrick then DC, the Racer65 blah blah blah...........

Mine use a One Piece center hub and they work Great, My son Won a Nat'l Championship and 4 Local Championships using one this season with a purdy radical little 70 and No issues at all!!

I am NOT advertising for my Clutches, I have never even sold one to anyone online.

Logan #34's Dad
02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
19 tooth DRR slipper sprocket torqued at 95 ft pounds. No tranny issues since. Been through a year and a half of Motocross racing. I'm just now replacing the disks.

redonkulousruntsracing
02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Over 25 races last season on the stock Apex slipper and it only moved 1/8th of a turn torqued to 100 ft lbs. My son almost never lets off the gas, needs a rev limiter when he gets BIG air. I didnt touch the tranny at all , not even to change the oil and no problems.

Logan #34's Dad
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I need to get my hands on the 20 tooth Apex one. You guys got one? PM me please.

bulldogfallon
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Corey--Send me some info on your clutch...does it fit the small euro clutches or just the larger oem style??

We run the DRR slippers with great results

tyler70t
02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
We had some issues with our last slipper sprocket but we are now running the newest Wiley Mods slipper sprocket, it's sweet!!!!!!

Coley'sdad#8
02-27-2010, 05:20 AM
DRR slipper here 95 ft. lbs, this one has been on there for a year with no problems. Just keep anti seize on the threads that way the nut torque reaches the disks and you dont get torque loss in rusty, dirty threads which is what happened to our first one and burned up disks. I pulled tranny gears out week before Loretta's and changed just as precaution but they looked great even with Coley landing on the gas.

CRBOGGAN
02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Chris good point on cleaning and neverseize on threads at my work we have different torque values for lubed threads and dry threads its about 9 to 10 lbs different for bolting this size. I have not done this on our quad but will very soon.

02-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Its a shame Dinli isnt in USA anymore. There is no need for a slipper sprocket or slipper clutch. The style is alot different but no need for all the extra. Just a well built quad. Dont even have to gusset the frame. Now look everybody has to gusset and run way over priced parts. JMO!!!!

magna-007
05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
Corey--Send me some info on your clutch...does it fit the small euro clutches or just the larger oem style??

We run the DRR slippers with great results

G-Force,

I just picked up a 19 tooth DRR/DRX slipper sprocket for our 2008 DRR. Problem i have run in to, is the output shaft does not seem to be long enough to get enough threads to engage on the nut. I get at most maybe 4 threads when all assembled. I asked around at the track this last weekend and NO one has run into this problem. All the slippers i looked at, the nut was at least flush with the end of the shaft. I am afraid to even try and torque the nut down with only 4 threads.
Thoughts and suggestions?

I was contemplating putting some Blue Thread Lock on it and trying it. I now see that may not be a good idea, since most are doing just the opposite and putting anti-seeze on them.

Thanks

thequadfather+2
05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Thats odd, I sent a PM to Chris Wood a couple days ago about the same thing. I wanted to know what he thought about that.....To me, the idea is for the slipper not to slip until it's necessary. If you trq it down to 105 lbs and want it to stay why wouldnt locktite work?

If you put it @ 105 lbs and mark it and it doesnt back off then you shouldnt need to re-tighten it.

My slipper made it for a year and rarely ever backed off. Finally it gave up after about a year and failed because I let it get a little loose I guess. When I put the new assembly together I put antiseeze on the threads (just a drop). Now I have to tighten it every 1-2 races and it always needs it. If it is loosening up during the race it may be slipping and hurting performance, not to mention, shortening the life and durability of the slipper disk.

It's kinda thinking outside the box a little and going against the grain but I am thinking about trying it. I cant see where you would go wrong getting at 100-105 lbs and it staying there for the next six months.....

Dissclaimer: no representation is made that my opinion is greater than the value of anyone else's opinion. :D

magna-007
05-06-2010, 01:00 PM
My first thought is anti-seeze gives it more room or ease to back off.
But lock-tite, would make it difficult to tighten down periodicly too.
Damned if we do and damned if we dont.

My main problem is the length of the shaft to fit all the components of the slipper on and have enough threads of the nut to hold it on. Apparently i have the taller 14.70 mm nut that came with the slipper.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3901659#post3901659

I am getting maybe 4 to 5 threads on the nut. Is that enough to torque it down to say 100 lbs? Kinda worries me that it could strip the shaft threads. Thats why i was thinking about maybe 90 lbs and some lock-tite.

magna-007
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
It doesn't bother me to have to check it periodically. I just wanted to make sure that 4 to maybe 5 threads was enough to keep from stripping the shaft or the nut?
If the nut hangs off the shaft a bit (almost half), does it matter?
I dont think that even the thinner nut
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3901659#post3901659
would put it flush with the end of the shaft.
I compared it to several others at the track this last weekend. Cant see what could be different.
Other than, is there an output shaft length difference?

thequadfather+2
05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
make sure the disc are seated all the way into the sprocket and the plate on the outside is aligned with the grooves correctly. Mine needed a little adjustment to seat the disk and then a little moving to get the plate lined up into the grooves on the outside. I dont know about different shafts, the vendors can probably shed a little light on a fix for yoyr problem. Mine is an '09 so I have run into your problem yet.

I know the antiseeze helps keep it from binding so that you can tighten it correctly but what if you never had to tighten it again after getting it put on...Since thread locker doesnt set-up for a few hours it wouldnt create a problem on the initial install. If you remove it later you will probably have to clean it with a brush and brake cleaner real good before doing it again.

I have not tried it yet but I am probably going to.

magna-007
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I see too that the install instructions for the Wiley Mod, say to go 70 lbs, run it, then go 80 lbs. They say not to go anymore with theirs or risk trans fail.

Man, why does some of this crap have to be so difficult sometimes?
Why cant i just bolt it on and be done?
It never works out that way. :)

The thread count is what is bothering me here. Ive done everything you just said too. Everything is all lined up and seated correctly and i still am only getting 4 to 5 threads. Haven't tried it since i shaved the back side of the shaft a bit. But stil, its only gonna gain me maybe half a thread. Ug!!

redonkulousruntsracing
05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I cant say what slipper Gary sent you, but I just got my new redesigned slipper from Teri at Apex and when I put it on it was the same way as what magna-007 is describing. Mine the sprocket is a new design and one of the friction discs is thicker than the other. I put it on and it only caught 4-5 threads. Teri called me a day later and said not to use it and that they were working on a fix for the problem. The old sprockets were not case hardened and would oval out the center hole, the new sprocket is a better design but they dont have the whole set up just right yet.

jaybo_racing
05-06-2010, 03:58 PM
We have been running the DC set up for the past year. Only about 5 threads engaged on nut. It rarely backs off, and has worked flawlessly for us. Not to say it's the proper way.... but it sure has saved us $$$$ by not having to worry about gears!!!

redonkulousruntsracing
05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Teri at Apex just called me and they have the new slipper setup problem fixed and they are now available, mine is on it's way now.

greenmachine70
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Never ran a slipper since my son started riding at age 4 he is now 11.
I taught him early that landing on the gas was WRONG!
I guess I am lucky.
I have to believe that a slipper system has to hurt on the holeshot in a high HP motor.
It just seems logical that the torque of a big motor would cause slippage at the moment of the holeshot thus losing a 1/10th sec or maybe more.....
Again I have never had to use one so I dont have any experience with them, just thinking aloud.

magna-007
05-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Did a little ADJUSTING on it tonight. Shaved maybe a 1/16 off the end of the shaft on a lathe. Removed all painted surfaces that contact clutch material. And emry clothed the ridges on all parts especially the large washer. ALL this monkey work and i am up to 5 maybe 6 threads now. I miked everything. The discs are identical within a couple thousandths. Chain alingnment looks better actually. Basicly i just fine tuned all the parts a bit. Have about two threads still hangin off shaft. Its the 13.75 mm tall nut. Figure thats about 10 mm of thread engagement now. Should be plenty i would think? Question still remains.......why not put locktite on the threads and torque to 90 to 95 pounds? By cleaning all the edges and deburing i think a better initial torque would last longer too. Over thinking it i know. :) Serious about the locktite though? Thoughts?