PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Build-up Thread

brilo_pad
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey im fairly new here and im one of the few young guns who wish to build a hybrid in the not to distant future. Im thinkin something along the lines of a lonestar 250r frame with CRF motor. Anyways back onto what i came here to ask. I have been scanning the pages of threads in this section trying to find a build-up thread that shows the details involved in building a hybrid. maybe say an in-depth rebuild thread or something?
My problem is i cant seem to find anything like that.. i guess being new to all this i may have missed something in my searchs so i was wondering if one you guys could link me up to a good thread?

As i said im new to all this and its something i've wanted to do right from the first time i saw one of these bikes at my local mx races. So any help would be appreciated thanks.

tayyo789
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
this is a very good one:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=386055

brilo_pad
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks man that is a very interesting read. That guy actually converted his 250r frame right? I believe i can actually buy a 250r frame from lonestar though that has been designed to take the CRF450 motor.

tayyo789
02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
I believe its a lonestar 250r frame that he modified to fit the crf in. If you buy the frame for the crf, it would be much much easier.

brilo_pad
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah so far thats what ive gathered. i emailed lonestar about this a good while ago and they said they can still make up these 250r frames to suit the CRF engine. For $2300 you get a frame and a sub-frame plus a load of misc hardware. So i think thats the route i will go with.

They also mentioned something about i will need a custom swingarm for that engine? Can you shed any light on that at all?

I have been thinkin its prob because the CRF engine will be shaped differently to the 250r engine were the swing arm bolt goes through.

tayyo789
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
yes the engines have different dimensions where the swingarm bolt goes through. So either you would have to modify a swingarm, or stay in touch with lonestar and see if they could make one to fit the frame they would make.

brilo_pad
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Aww right yeah i thought that would be the issue. thanks for the help bud. i guess i have lots of reading ahead of me now. :)

Cant wait to get this build started.

tayyo789
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
im sure there will be more issues. Hybrids are really just a mess of problems, but thats half the fun of owning one. Thats what this sections for:D
Its well worth it in the end in my opinion

brilo_pad
02-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Yeah i can bet there will be. But you right thats all in the fun of owning one and i cant wait to be part of that crowd.

miles Machine
02-26-2010, 08:17 AM
before you decide on lonestar check out walsh race craft there the best name in atv aftermarket components ....there crf frame is way better than lonestar

brilo_pad
02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah man i have checked it out also. My only concern with walsh was ive heard there build times are crazy long. (Not that that would really be an issue for me as this build will be a long term project.) But i think i am i just happy with the lonestar components. I have bought from them before and i really am a fan i guess lol..

But before i go ahead and jump in head first i will deff keep all options open.

quadfmx
03-01-2010, 11:58 PM
talked to nate recently and chassis turnaround time was very reasonable from what i was told

brilo_pad
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
i think on the scheme on things every frame is gonna take a considerable amount of time to build... i just remember readin somewhere that somebody waited like 11-12 months for a frame and i dont think thats something i'd wana do.
Anyway i'll see closer to the time.
The walsh stuff is crazy expensive too, i was just on there site there and a set of A-arms $1500..
No doubt its the best of kit but i couldnt believe the prices.

miles Machine
03-04-2010, 03:38 PM
there prices are a little high but they are the absolute best stuff you can buy in my opinion

Rootar
03-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by miles Machine
there prices are a little high but they are the absolute best stuff you can buy in my opinion

yea right.... for $1500 i expect a front end that a hell of alot better than heim joints at the mounts... those suck! adjusting and setting them up is a PITA. For the money HOUSER make one of the nicest front end out there. with needle bearings and solid arms mounts, their sli-cast system is awesome, and the quality and tolerences is on par if not better than walsh.

I dont have a problem with walsh, id love to have one of their frames, but their front ends are big a disappointment.

brilo_pad
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
On my TRX450r i have at the moment i got a set of Gibson A-arms which are very similar to the walsh arms i think.
They work great are very well constructed but you no i really hate those spherical joints they run. I would much prefer a ball-joint.. I reckon the ball joint would last much longer.
At the end of this season im gonna look into getting some sealed spherical joints for these arms; see if that works any better.
The sand and dirt and everything just seems to get in every around them.

Rootar
03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
i think houser has it figured out, capped needle bearings and fixed mounting at the frame, silcast for simple and exact setup of camber and caster, and sealed ball joints.

i need to quit drooling over them and buy me new set and ditch my "heim joint" setup

quadfmx
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
my point with walsh is they supply all the little needed parts to make the conversion wrokl except a kicker extension so they have took the time to develop and check everything you need minuns the kicker extension.
walsh does not only take walsh arms u could use houser